Venting about Corvette snobs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:01 AM
tpi1986
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
So you were part of the killing effort.

Tech is pretty much that way once you hit a critical mass and it grows exponentially. Your daughter is brought up with tech but a day will come when she grows old and is unable to adapt to even newer tech just like you are slowing down.

If I were bracket racing for a profession, you bet I will be on top of every development or theory since that is where my bread is buttered. OTOH, if you aren't, it will require learning new paradigms and as we can see, in general, the old are less and less able and/or willing to adapt. Someday, we too will be obsolete and hopefully I will be gone before then.
Part of the killing effort! lol. Thats me.

A for bracket racing, you bet. I've had to keep up to stay in the hunt. Weather station, run analyzer, laser to detect exact track temp, tire blankets, Timers, delay box, crossover delay etc etc. Where on one hand I dont mind it, cause it keeps me winning rounds, but also like the no prep and the heads up races too.

We ran a 4 tenths pro tree event, heads up with the break out at 5.90 1/8. It was a blast. At the time my car was running 5.90's naturally (Which helped big time) and the 4 tenths pro tree is my favorite. Every run was a .00 something. No red lights, no one broke out. We all had to shut off the boxes and electronics. I think I had more fun with that event that I had in a long time.

It was just a pure drivers race basically. First time trial, I nearly forgot to shift, I was so use to the Biondo electric time firing off my solenoid.

Last edited by tpi1986; 10-15-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:05 AM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
It's really been just in the last decade that the C3 has entered that world of "classic" collectible status. Life is tough for the C3 and C4, because that were the longest running generations, thus the market is full of them. The C4, however, doesn't seem to carry much of the nostalgia effect that the C3 enjoys now. But it's time is coming. If you're relatively young, right now might be a good time to pick up bone stock, survivor example of a C4 and put it away, but I don't have that kind of time, lol.
Interesting. I've wondered if that change around for the C4 would happen too. I remember when the mid to late 70's vettes were scoffed at because they were heavy and slow
Old 10-15-2016, 12:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by tpi1986
Part of the killing effort! lol. Thats me.

A for bracket racing, you bet. I've had to keep up to stay in the hunt. Weather station, run analyzer, laser to detect exact track temp, tire blankets, Timers, delay box, crossover delay etc etc. Where on one hand I dont mind it, cause it keeps me winning rounds, but also like the no prep and the heads up races too.

We ran a 4 tenths pro tree event, heads up with the break out at 5.90 1/8. It was a blast. At the time my car was running 5.90's naturally (Which helped big time) and the 4 tenths pro tree is my favorite. Every run was a .00 something. No red lights, no one broke out. We all had to shut off the boxes and electronics. I think I had more fun with that event that I had in a long time.

It was just a pure drivers race basically. First time trial, I nearly forgot to shift, I was so use to the Biondo electric time firing off my solenoid.
They must have paid you handsomely to hide the 100 mpg carb from public.

Is it like fishing lures where they are designed to catch fishermen first and fish second?

Sounds impressive. I wish I had the time and commitment to do that but so many idiotic things to do that while I have the time I don't have a block of time to dedicate to a hobby of that nature,
Old 10-15-2016, 01:36 PM
tpi1986
Racer

They must have paid you handsomely to hide the 100 mpg carb from public.

Is it like fishing lures where they are designed to catch fishermen first and fish second?

Sounds impressive. I wish I had the time and commitment to do that but so many idiotic things to do that while I have the time I don't have a block of time to dedicate to a hobby of that nature,
I keep the carb with my lead to gold machine.

What is the old line? Its a fine line between hobby and obsession. Racing for me comes in clusters. In every sense of the word. 10 years ago, when my kids were younger and less involved in school activities and frankly cheaper than they are now, we raced nearly every weekend. But now, not so much.

I only rolled the red car out once in the last 16 months. Im having as much fun as ever messing with my 92. It crazy how it goes. When I started racing I wanted to go faster and faster, bigger classes and races etc. I was my own worst enemy with it. Now when we go, its a major production and almost feel like I have to win to justify the investment.

Once again Im probably an odd ball with it, but its kid of taken some of the fun out of it. I say that, then when I get just a couple of round wins it all seems worth it. My wife however, I think there are times (when she figures out the cost) where she wants to knock me in the head for it all. lol.

Ran to the parts store a little while ago and say a sweet 91 ZR1 btw. Spoke to the couple for a few mins. They have owned the car for 10 years and say that the best part is meeting other corvette owners. It drew a little bit of a crowd when he opened the hood.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:02 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

What I find amazing isn't the "corvette snobs" But how driving a corvette somehow causes non-vette drivers to revert into children and behave stupidly.

I pulled into Advance Auto last week and this guy in a GTO (one of the new ones, not the classics) is just staring at the car. He's leaving so he gets in his car and just rips out of the parking lot, hammering it up the road and looking at me. I just laughed and watched.

The really sad part is how slow that car was. It obviously had exhaust mods and probably other cheap bolt on stuff. (He looked like the type.) But I know those cars are actually pretty quick, and I think he bolted his way to a lot of noise, but hurt the performance significantly.

If they see a vette they want to race it. They want to show off their cars. It's just amazing the effect the C4 has on other people.

Last edited by confab; 10-15-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by confab
What I find amazing isn't the "corvette snobs" But how driving a corvette somehow causes non-vette drivers to revert into children and behave stupidly.

I pulled into Advance Auto last week and this guy in a GTO (one of the new ones, not the classics) is just staring at the car. He's leaving so he gets in his car and just rips out of the parking lot, hammering it up the road and looking at me. I just laughed and watched.

The really sad part is how slow that car was. It obviously had exhaust mods and probably other cheap bolt on stuff. (He looked like the type.) But I know those cars are actually pretty quick, and I think he bolted his way to a lot of noise, but hurt the performance significantly.

If they see a vette they want to race it. They want to show off their cars. It's just amazing the effect the C4 has on other people.
Im serious, you need to start an entirely new thread about that one. I don't know what it is, but your right, it happens often. Plus, usually its a car that barely has enough power to get out of its own way.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

What is the old line? Its a fine line between hobby and obsession. Racing for me comes in clusters. In every sense of the word. 10 years ago, when my kids were younger and less involved in school activities and frankly cheaper than they are now, we raced nearly every weekend. But now, not so much.

I only rolled the red car out once in the last 16 months. Im having as much fun as ever messing with my 92. It crazy how it goes. When I started racing I wanted to go faster and faster, bigger classes and races etc. I was my own worst enemy with it. Now when we go, its a major production and almost feel like I have to win to justify the investment.

Once again Im probably an odd ball with it, but its kid of taken some of the fun out of it. I say that, then when I get just a couple of round wins it all seems worth it. My wife however, I think there are times (when she figures out the cost) where she wants to knock me in the head for it all. lol.

Ran to the parts store a little while ago and say a sweet 91 ZR1 btw. Spoke to the couple for a few mins. They have owned the car for 10 years and say that the best part is meeting other corvette owners. It drew a little bit of a crowd when he opened the hood.
Not true according to the wife. Hobby is a few hundred bucks. Obsession is thousands. I already tried that line and it didn't work. I can hear her eyes roll whenever I start doing a google on Corvette stuff or any other car stuff to make the other cars go faster.

Yes which is why it is hard for me to go down to the strip. It is a couple hours there and back even if we don't do anything. Half a day before I check through everything, get a trailer, etc, etc. Another half a day is cleaning up and return trailer. Not to mention all the coordinating with others if we go as a group.

No, everything is worth it once you win. It is when the bills come due that it doesn't. BTDT. And yes, the wife doesn't even really want to hear how much the trans will cost to rebuild or rear end. She doesn't want to get aggravated.

Modified or stock?
Old 10-15-2016, 02:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Let me ask you this. Which is easier?

1. I mod my car to keep up with the latest and greatest and trash them

2. I beat some old car that probably won't keep up

Either way I get to tell the other boys I beat a Corvette or he was so impressed at my ricemobile that he didn't dare race me.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Im serious, you need to start an entirely new thread about that one. I don't know what it is, but your right, it happens often. Plus, usually its a car that barely has enough power to get out of its own way.
Yes but to the other boys, I'll say that my car has killed X number of Corvettes or that the Vette boys were too scared to race me.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:57 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

.. or he was so impressed at my ricemobile that he didn't dare race me.
I think that explains a lot of the motivation.

Seriously, there is something about a corvette that just drives them INSANE.

I have had other cars. Camaro. Mustangs.. Nothing like this.

It is like the shape of a C4 Corvette just bleeds off 75 IQ points as soon as they see one.

It is like they can't help themselves.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:02 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

C4's should come with some kind of Warning label about this..

"May cause random asshattery. Rice car owners may experience heart palpitations in the presence of this vehicle. Use C4 with extreme caution."
Old 10-15-2016, 04:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

C4 is old and beatable and the owners are young enough to put up a fight. If I had a C2 or C3 it would be too expensive to fix if I crack it up so I would probably not race.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I really didn't expect this. I'm in my mid 40's. I am not going to go out on a public highway and put people in danger, risk losing my license or otherwise be "that guy"

I would think most people my age, or who have invested a significant amount in their vehicle would agree with me.

But no! No! There's something about that car that makes people misbehave.

I wish I had a video of him beating that little GTO out through traffic and blasting past everyone in a gigantic cloud of poor driving, loud noises and uber fail.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I really didn't expect this. I'm in my mid 40's. I am not going to go out on a public highway and put people in danger, risk losing my license or otherwise be "that guy"

I would think most people my age, or who have invested a significant amount in their vehicle would agree with me.

But no! No! There's something about that car that makes people misbehave.

I wish I had a video of him beating that little GTO out through traffic and blasting past everyone in a gigantic cloud of poor driving, loud noises and uber fail.
That's you. In case you hadn't noticed, most people don't give a crap about you, me and the rest of the world as long as it is outside their sphere of interest. Sure, they say all the nice words about how they will this, that and the other but in reality, the question of WIIFM comes to play. I might play nice with you because you are the son of my boss, a hot girl or someone I need to impress but if not, you can go fawk yourself. That seems to be my observation of people.

Maybe, maybe not. It also depends on how much fun they think it is worth.

Don't blame the car. It has everything to do with motive, means an opportunity.

I'm sure it was worth it to him. Some things are worth it to me but YMMV.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:21 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

When I started racing I wanted to go faster and faster, bigger classes and races etc. I was my own worst enemy with it. Now when we go, its a major production and almost feel like I have to win to justify the investment.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:28 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

lol
Old 10-16-2016, 03:03 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

C4 is old and beatable and the owners are young enough to put up a fight. If I had a C2 or C3 it would be too expensive to fix if I crack it up so I would probably not race.
Come on, C4 is old but not slow even by today's standards. Its not fast like modern cards in its mkt but not slow compared to most modern cars.

In a couple yrs I'll agree its slow, freakin new Civic SI or Type R is going to be at 300ish hp. Ridic. A damn civic man

Last edited by jay23ls; 10-16-2016 at 03:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Venting about Corvette snobs!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Come on, C4 is old but not slow even by today's standards. Its not fast like modern cards in its mkt but not slow compared to most modern cars.

In a couple yrs I'll agree its slow, freakin new Civic SI or Type R is going to be at 300ish hp. Ridic. A damn civic man
I don't think the C4 is that fast compared to the kind of cars that people drive when they want to run. Sure, compared to a 4 door sedan, you are right but those don't often go cruising and trying to pick races.

Even at 200, it is going to be a huge thing for a Civic since the weight is much less.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I love the C4, mostly the white 89 anniversary and the 91-96 are tight.

I think a lot of the people who talk smack about the C4 don't even own a Corvette currently and need to belittle someone because their fat pig of a wife wont let them get anything.

I like C5's and C6's looks more than the C4, but the C4 is what started it all for me when I was a kid. I wouldn't kick a C4 out of bed, I'd love to own and plan to own that white 89 or a 91-96 someday.
The following users liked this post:
tpi1986 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 10:00 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I go up to, and race at, Oriely drag strip here in indy every Test and tune Wends I can. Raced a lot of new stangs, GTOs, ect. I get beat almost every race. What makes me smile is that I beat everyone of them off the line due to me knowing the tree better and that great corvette take off because of that low end power. I have the stuff for better high end power, just waiting for my health to improve to able me to install them. My stock 86 runs 14.3 almost every run..that aint fast but sure is fun..BTW, I am 66 and love to mix it up with those young guns at the strip,lol.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 10-16-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Venting about Corvette snobs!