C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

stumped on 85 maf

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:23 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default stumped on 85 maf

Okay I posted earlier while changing the air filter then start at the car it would not start I was thinking it was the MAF connector took the MAF out cleaned it it's not modified stock put it back in same issue disconnected the MAF pigtail start it up Randy could check got a 34 played with the wires some more started it up surging idle disconnected the MAF pigtail again plugged it in smooth out check engine light still on just connected the battery reconnected the battery would not start unplug the MAF started right up plugged it back in smooth right out could it be the pigtail but why after I disconnect the battery won't start until I disconnect the MAF and then reconnected again which throws a code 33 now my question is going to replace the pigtail should I replace the MAF
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

check the terminals in the connector make sure they are not to loose. check maf make sure the terminals didn't get bent plugging and in plugging. I had a ongoing code 33 replaced maf and computer finally got it running good. mines a 85.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would replace or rebuild connector first.( Terminals are available separately.) Since wiggling wires effects operation. I would also check MAF relays then replace MAF if necessary.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:25 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

terminal pigtail will be first, im hoping that was it, kinda of wierd, unplug the battrey, reconnect and would not run, unplug the maf smotthed, then repeat same mess...lol,,,,gremlins...that why they made a gremlins 2
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 85vegasvette
Okay I posted earlier while changing the air filter then start at the car it would not start I was thinking it was the MAF connector took the MAF out cleaned it it's not modified stock put it back in same issue disconnected the MAF pigtail start it up Randy could check got a 34 played with the wires some more started it up surging idle disconnected the MAF pigtail again plugged it in smooth out check engine light still on just connected the battery reconnected the battery would not start unplug the MAF started right up plugged it back in smooth right out could it be the pigtail but why after I disconnect the battery won't start until I disconnect the MAF and then reconnected again which throws a code 33 now my question is going to replace the pigtail should I replace the MAF
Hi
Check the MAF connectors are clean and not corroded, also check the wiring harness connector does it look clean and is the weather seal fitted?

I went to an Ecklers MAF sensor and it works great, stay away from the corvette central MAF that is a different type without the hot wire it did not work would not idle.
They have lost my future business, they could not care less they don't warranty electronics. Even though they say fits 85-89, when the 85 is a one year only MAF they are calibrated for the particular year.
Link below

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...nsor-1985.html
Old 11-07-2016, 04:41 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

If you have to change it, I got mine from AutoZone.

So far, so good! Lots cheaper and completely different from the Bosh one.

Here's a pic:

http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...3_39837_12219/

I dunno if it is better or worse, but it seems to work just fine. *fingers crossed*

Last edited by confab; 11-07-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:01 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Got the new pigtail connector, replacing it this week, hopefully that will work, question is should i butt plug it or solder, im leaning to solder and shrink wrap
Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

That really should be soldered W heat shrink, IMO.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:00 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
If you have to change it, I got mine from AutoZone.

So far, so good! Lots cheaper and completely different from the Bosh one.

Here's a pic:

http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...3_39837_12219/

I dunno if it is better or worse, but it seems to work just fine. *fingers crossed*
i have that one on my 85 running great now no more codes but it was replaced 2 times to get this one it has lifetime warranty.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Originally Posted by chevyman_ky
i have that one on my 85 running great now no more codes but it was replaced 2 times to get this one it has lifetime warranty.
Originally Posted by 85vegasvette
terminal pigtail will be first, im hoping that was it, kinda of wierd, unplug the battrey, reconnect and would not run, unplug the maf smotthed, then repeat same mess...lol,,,,gremlins...that why they made a gremlins 2

​​Replaced the maf harness pigtails, soldered, shrunk wrapped, fired up..hit has was sluggish smoothes right out, took it for a ride ran great even felt little better..but still code 33, came home disconnected battery to reset no luck still pulling a 33...but it is runni g great what's going on

​​​​​​​
Old 11-08-2016, 06:06 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

You may have a leak somewhere in the air intake before or after the MAF. Check for cracks in the boot and double check and tighten the clamps. I had a supercharged 5.7 tpi motor back in the day when I had an IROC. Was throwing those codes because I had a small tear in the intake boot by the clamp, I replaced the boot and it fix the issue. And get a code scanner if you have one and erase the code if not do the battery disconnect again....Try this and see if that helps

Last edited by crusher1; 11-08-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:53 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

First off unless the MAF is F**ked up, DO NOT CLEAN IT!!!!
DO NOT USE any solvents or MAF cleaners. Our engines use a fine wire (RCH) that is easily ruined.
If the engine will start and run with the MAF disconnected its the MAF failure.
If a replacement MAF doesn't work get another that does.
The box stores have always had a high failure rate of these parts and just cause its new/rebuilt doesn't mean it will work.
When you do find one that works never let it out of your sight.
And keep a few relays handy in the spare parts drawer.
You'll thank me someday....
Old 11-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Error code 33 is a sign that the connection between the MAF and ECM is broken.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:35 AM
85vegasvette
Racer

Of course when it was out i followed like a sheep to slaughter and cleaned it...lol, gonna check the boot and the maf seal....and side note, before i switched the maf connector, it would run with it diconnected.....gonna try today see if does again

Get notified of new replies

To stumped on 85 maf

Quick Reply: stumped on 85 maf