C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Let there be lights! Uh oh....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Quantumleap
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let there be lights! Uh oh....

Ok fellow vette lovers, my '88 Anniversary Edition has an odd problem, when I turn the headlights on, only headlights, knight rider instrument cluster, turn signals work. Center dash, radio, climate control lights, fog lights, driving lights front and back are out. Would this be the switch? Not looking forward to a pricey tear down looking for a short. Car is in immaculate condition and well cared for...but this...will get me a ticket for having inop tail lights at night. PS: dimmer at switch doesn't work either, but if I turn it all the way over, front floor lights and rear luggage compartment lights do turn on but that's it, no response at cluster (stays one brightness) and center dash lights don't light up

Last edited by Quantumleap; 11-11-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

The fog lights are run by another switch above the headlight switch. I'd say there is more than a switch issue but you could put power straight to the wire that lights that up and see if it works.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 PM
Quantumleap
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's not my specialty

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
The fog lights are run by another switch above the headlight switch. I'd say there is more than a switch issue but you could put power straight to the wire that lights that up and see if it works.
I have no driving lights, center console lights, I mentioned the fogs because that's only part of it. I'm not an electrician, and don't want to spend hundreds just getting it diagnosed. I bought a new headlight switch, looks like the type of switch that is pretty involved, does more than just turn on headlights. Will install it and see what that does

Last edited by Quantumleap; 11-17-2016 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-18-2016, 12:22 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would look at your fuses and grounds first.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-18-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I would look at your fuses and grounds first.
The headlight switch has a circuit breaker built in.

The headlight switch must have the extra connections between the pins that control when the various lights come on:

Your symptoms indicate that you are missing a ground. It could be a crystallized solder connection on the connectors between the two PC boards in the dash. The only way to find out is to take the instrument cluster out and disassemble it.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 11-18-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Let there be lights! Uh oh....

Quick Reply: Let there be lights! Uh oh....