Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Default Just wanting your opinion on this corvette

I was thinking about buying another corvette to do some swapping between cars and take the best of both and slowly build up the other one.

Here is a link to it. Please tell me what you think and what you would expect to pay for it. Don't wanna overpay since it seems to have a few slight issues.

Thanks.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5863098978.html

Also my current car is an 89.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Engine must have been replaced. All C4s have 8 cylinders.

Looks like its been sunburnt. New kali tags.
Out of state transferred?
Check for rust under the passenger seat.

Sketchy at best

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 11-15-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

Is yours a complete wreck? Missing majors components? If yours is running and driving I personally wouldn't spend that much. If you're looking for odds and ends, trim panels, just want to have spare parts, etc, I would look for one with a blown engine/transmission for about half or less the asking price. They are out there.

All c4's came with a V8...I think the 6 was a typo...or someone really needs to buy a hybrid !!!
Old 11-15-2016, 06:43 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Doesn't look bad. IMHO, needing transmission work makes it not worth $4k, maybe $3k.

Agree that 6 cylinder is probably a typo.

Last edited by divotdug; 11-15-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I know another forum member is looking at this exact car, goodluck whoever gets it looks like a decent deal to me.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

I figured the engine was a typo or either he though it was the transmission are.

My car is complete and only has a few minor interior things broken. I was wanting the car as a fully working parts car and for the manual transmission. Also the engine on mine has a developed a decent amount of "blow-by" causing oil to squirt out the dipstick a little bit at WOT for longer periods of time resulting in a smoke trail behind the car. Kind of annoying and a little embarrassing.

Either way thanks so for for all the inputs.

Last edited by Red89'-L98; 11-15-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:43 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The ZF6 is tough. So even with the 2nd gear synchro going out the tranny will probably last a while if not abused. But it will eventually need to be addressed ($$$) and I agree the price should take a hit because of that issue. Otherwise looks pretty solid... need to see in person and kick/poke/drive before final opinion. I would definitely ask why they "have to let go of" the car. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Im gonna go look at the car Tuesday or Wednesday. I think I can gety it for about 3000 dollars or similar. I was sent some other pictures of the car and it looks to be in good shape other than the console cover. Nothing looks cracked or broken. The dash works fine and he "says" the car runs and drives excellent other than the synchro issue which I can have rebuilt or find another used one. I just dont want to loose money on the car too much as I am probably gonna rebuild the trans and swap it for the auto in mine and have 2 good running cars. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:25 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

If the CAGS is still connected, 2nd gear may not have a "bad" synchro. Mine had the same issue when I bought it with 14k miles in 99...where the 1st=>2nd shift wasn't always smooth. When I contacted Bill @ ZFDoc, he mentioned this could result from the PO being a poor/inconsistent shifter. And, that it would "wear" in correctly after some time of driving correctly. He also added that new lube might help too.

In my case, new lube and correct shifting "wore" the 2nd syncro into a better "pattern" where the problem shifting went away....and that was 60k miles back.

The reason I mention CAGS is it forces you to shift from 1st to 4th...which means the use of 2nd gear would be reduced....and seem less likely to have significant wear.

BTW...There was a recent article online that suggested better shifting would result if you were a "palm shifter". By using the palm vs the fingers, you are more likely to push the stick all the way into gear before letting out the clutch. I will also add that a short shifter doesn't hurt either!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 11-19-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
If the CAGS is still connected, 2nd gear may not have a "bad" synchro. Mine had the same issue when I bought it with 14k miles in 99...where the 1st=>2nd shift wasn't always smooth. When I contacted Bill @ ZFDoc, he mentioned this could result from the PO being a poor/inconsistent shifter. And, that it would "wear" in correctly after some time of driving correctly. He also added that new lube might help too.

In my case, new lube and correct shifting "wore" the 2nd syncro into a better "pattern" where the problem shifting went away....and that was 60k miles back.

The reason I mention CAGS is it forces you to shift from 1st to 4th...which means the use of 2nd gear would be reduced....and seem less likely to have significant wear.

BTW...There was a recent article online that suggested better shifting would result if you were a "palm shifter". By using the palm vs the fingers, you are more likely to push the stick all the way into gear before letting out the clutch. I will also add that a short shifter doesn't hurt either!
Are there any tips specific to this transmission for shifting properly and re-wearing in the synchro. I got a rough estimate from bill in an email of 2800-3800 for a rebuild. I dont really like that number at the higher side and would love to be able to make it last longer. Worst case scenario I just skip second gear when shifting and have rebuilt in a few months or however long.

I really cant believe how much it cost for that transmission to be rebuilt by him but at the same time he is the best around and you get what you pay for.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Red89'-L98
Are there any tips specific to this transmission for shifting properly and re-wearing in the synchro. I got a rough estimate from bill in an email of 2800-3800 for a rebuild. I dont really like that number at the higher side and would love to be able to make it last longer. Worst case scenario I just skip second gear when shifting and have rebuilt in a few months or however long.

I really cant believe how much it cost for that transmission to be rebuilt by him but at the same time he is the best around and you get what you pay for.
His email to me was long ago (1999-2000?). Mostly, I think he just said to focus on not missing shifts AND being fairly positive as you push into gear. In other words, shift like you want to shift -- if it worked correctly. And, do it the same way each time.

I can't say that IS the problem. Did you convey symptoms and ask?

Also IIRC, I think he rebuilds better-than-new. He has some interesting upgrades too.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by divotdug
Doesn't look bad. IMHO, needing transmission work makes it not worth $4k, maybe $3k.

Agree that 6 cylinder is probably a typo.
3K tops.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:06 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

1/ 3k sounds like a fair price, 2/ re second gear, with some practice and patience double clutching can become easy and natural; and maybe even a little fun. The wheels look terrible, ugh. I've encountered guys who buy a second car and do the swap out trick, taking the better parts and replacing them with less desirable ones. It usually results in a very tired looking dog of little value. You might be better to replace your worn parts with new or nicer used and let this one go unless you have a deep desire to work on a C4.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:39 AM
LapU
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Offer $3500 and see what happens.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:32 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Over all, it's not a bad looking car in my opinion. Minus a transmission issue, it could be a lot of value for even the asking price.

One thing I would do regarding the transmission is try a quick shift into 2nd gear, but instead of just depressing the clutch pedal, quickly pump it a couple of times. One area of maintenance on these cars not often considered is the hydraulic clutch system. If the fluid has not been changed (recently?) it could just be the clutch slave cylinder is not "completely" releasing the pressure plate and making the 2nd gear change a bit more difficult. I'm not suggesting there is no wear on the synchro's, especially considering it's 2nd gear, just that without a complete disengagement of the clutch, it could act like this.

My point is that simply bleeding the clutch hydraulics might eliminate the 2nd gear problem entirely. Something to keep in your back pocket during a test drive.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Just wanting your opinion on this corvette

Quick Reply: Just wanting your opinion on this corvette