C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I would like to know if a T56 6 speed would fit in C4 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:11 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by streetstylekyle
Guys I'm not even the op here haha. I just wanted to know if I could buy the cheaper easier to find (based on what I've seen) t56 is compatible to the lt1 in my auto car. Considering I don't have the money for the 1996 lt4 already manual corvette I wanted to make my own from a 96 lt1. Built not bought foos. Peace
As said above, sure you can do it. For less money than a 6speed LT1....nope. 92-95's M6s are pretty cheap. And again, as said above, there's a lot more to a factory 6spd car than the transmission.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
plenty of guys have done it if you cant do the ZF which is way stronger still a good upgrade sure they will pipe in
If you can avoid the ZF you'll be miles ahead. To rebuild a ZF is 3,000+ mine cost over 4000, you can get a T-56 done for about 1500. I have one of each. If my ZF buys the farm it will get replaced with a T-56. There is a guy around Cleveland that builds a bracket to replace the ZF with a T-56 Also since you have an Auto in now you'll want to beef up and go to a a Dana 44 rear end and center support.

Last edited by 87bob; 12-30-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
If you can avoid the ZF you'll be miles ahead. To rebuild a ZF is 3,000+ mine cost over 4000, you can get a T-56 done for about 1500. I have one of each.
I spent about $1000 on my CTS-V's T56, and that was me doing the rebuild (labor) myself. The $1k was just to replace the parts that were broken -not a "rebuild" or upgrade of any kind.

I'm not saying that a ZF is cheaper to rebuild...but those numbers seem like a bit of an exaggeration. Only way you're "rebuilding" a T56 for $1500 is if nothing is broken, in my experience.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:00 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
As said above, sure you can do it. For less money than a 6speed LT1....nope. 92-95's M6s are pretty cheap. And again, as said above, there's a lot more to a factory 6spd car than the transmission.
I disagree.

You can definitely 6-speed swap an early C4 cheaper than buying an LT1 6-speed. Unless that LT1 car is a pile... Not in every instance but with early cars going for 1-2k it sure can be done. The biggest cost is the tranny at 1-1.5k for a T-56 and a bit more for a ZF. (At least around me now)
Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I'll admit it, I don't know everything...but I know more than you.
And this is why your responses are a joke. How would you know that I am not smarter than you? What a ridiculous response. Man you must be fuming while typing these responses!

I'll be honest that I've not swapped a T56 into a 'Vette...Have you swapped a T56 into an LT1 'Vette and done the associated ECM/harness changes?
I sure have swapped a T-56 into my 84'. The "required" ecm changes are not any harder than swapping in an LT1 which I also did. To make it easier I used an LT1 stand alone harness that I wired into the car's harness. After that the T-56 specific harness changes consist of running wiring to the T-56's (3) pigtails. Work smarter not harder.

why don't you make a very specific list that outlines the requirements to help the OP...rather than nit fuking picking the nuances of my posts? How about that?
And last but not least the end of your foul-mouthed rant. Can't you say something without swearing? The OP did not ask for a "specific list" outlining the swap and in addition I did not make a list. I did the swap like anyone else would, with limited information and just doing it.

BTW thanks for all the "help" you are giving this thread. I replied with ACTUAL hands on experience in doing a T-56 swap into a C4. Did you? Oh that's right you don't have any but your an expert on everything. Sorry I forgot...
Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by v8vette84
I disagree.

You can definitely 6-speed swap an early C4 cheaper than buying an LT1 6-speed. Unless that LT1 car is a pile... Not in every instance but with early cars going for 1-2k it sure can be done. The biggest cost is the tranny at 1-1.5k for a T-56 and a bit more for a ZF. (At least around me now)
I think what Fred meant was, you can sell your LT1 auto, and buy an LT1 6 speed, for less than doing the conversion.

I agree. As a bonus, you end up with a D44.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

And this is why your responses are a joke. How would you know that I am not smarter than you? What a ridiculous response. Man you must be fuming while typing these responses!
No, I'm not fuming at all. I can tell by what you write, roughly "what you know". I said nothing about "smarter" (intelligence). I have no doubt that you're more intelligent that I am.

I sure have swapped a T-56 into my 84'. The "required" ecm changes are not any harder than swapping in an LT1 which I also did. To make it easier I used an LT1 stand alone harness that I wired into the car's harness. After that the T-56 specific harness changes consist of running wiring to the T-56's (3) pigtails. Work smarter not harder.
OK...I didn't ask about '84's...but it sounds like you may have done an LT1 car. Now we're getting somewhere. What was the total cost of the LT1 swap;
*trans
*fw/clutch/TOB/Master slave
*driveshaft
*tailshaft adaptor
*stand alone harness
* ECM programming?
*Bezel/boot/trim
*Other misc items?

And last but not least the end of your foul-mouthed rant. Can't you say something without swearing? The OP did not ask for a "specific list" outlining the swap and in addition I did not make a list. I did the swap like anyone else would, with limited information and just doing it.
Foul mouthed? Swearing? Where did I do that?

Why don't you help the OP...make that list! You ARE, after all, the CF trans swapping authority.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

I said nothing about "smarter" (intelligence). I have no doubt that you're more intelligent that I am.
Here you go.

I'll admit it, I don't know everything...but I know more than you.
Said "nothing" eh? This is pure gold! Talk about trying NO MATTER WHAT to spin what you said you benefit your argument at this moment. What a joke. You know what you said, don't be a fool.

Foul mouthed? Swearing? Where did I do that?
Again...

nit fuking picking the nuances :
Man I really hope you are kidding with these responses...
Should I bring up the numerous times you said "ASSumptions" in a prior reply? Claim all you want but you highlighted the "message" you wanted to stick out.

Sorry but you seem to have issues related to remembering what you said or you are always remembering it incorrectly.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Name:  QeHNoiC.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  150.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
v8vette84 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AgentEran
This is great!
Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT1 Man
Hello, CorvetteForum Buddies!

I would like to know if a T56 6 speed would fit in a C4 corvette to get more gears for more speed

Post from LT1 Man
I bought my C-beam to T-56 adapter from Pro Street Customs but it looks like they have moved on to building custom "Corvettes" under the name "Exotic Corvette Concepts". Not sure if they still build that bracket or not. You can always call them but it doesn't look promising. It looks like they dissolved Pro Street Customs to focus on building their cars.

http://prostreetcustomsinc.com/

I actually just sent an email to the owner who emailed me originally when I ordered the part. No idea if he will get back to me as I bought my bracket almost 7 years ago. Here's hoping!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Here you go.

Said "nothing" eh?
You must have some comprehension issues. Intelligence and Knowledge (what one knows), are two different things.

I did "swear"...you're right. It was so minor (in the case of ASSumptions, it was the actually CORRECT SPELLING of the word, FYI) I hadn't even noticed. Sorry if I offended your obviously, very sensitive ego. I will say...it was mighty odd that you whipped out your preconceived notions about my T56 use (or lack thereof)...but no acknowledgement when I corrected you with some facts. Very peculiar, and insecure.

Now...why don't you actually attempt to help the OP rather than ******* me and my posts, and post that specific list? You ARE, after all, the CF trans swapping authority. You've sufficiently thumped your chest in this thread...why not put that experience to use and post the list/costs?

I think the image above was directed toward us both, BTW.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-03-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

You must have some comprehension issues. Intelligence and Knowledge (what one knows), are two different things.

I did "swear"...you're right. It was so minor (in the case of ASSumptions, it was the actually CORRECT SPELLING of the word, FYI) I hadn't even noticed. Sorry if I offended your obviously, very sensitive ego. I will say...it was mighty odd that you whipped out your preconceived notions about my T56 use (or lack thereof)...but no acknowledgement when I corrected you with some facts. Very peculiar, and insecure.

Now...why don't you actually attempt to help the OP rather than ******* me and my posts, and post that specific list? You ARE, after all, the CF trans swapping authority. You've sufficiently thumped your chest in this thread...why not put that experience to use and post the list/costs?

Again your reply is useless. Full of fluff to make yourself feel better. I'm done with this, you only spin what others say then try to seem super intelligent by using the spun wording to back yourself up. It's not just me you have issues with either, I have seen other threads where you spin other members words too. That shows the self-righteous type of personality you have. Can your head fit through a doorway anymore?

Also I'm quite aware the gorillas are supposed to represent us "fighting". I think it's hilarious.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:14 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

While Tom's posts can be argumentative and wearisome at times, I have to agree with his position on this particular subject: much easier and probably better to sell the automatic car, then take the proceeds and buy a later LT1/ZF6 car.
The reason I say that is this: if someone has to ask if it's easy to do the swap, then they probably do not have the tools, the shop space, and the knowledge/experience to perform that task themselves....and if they PAY a pro to do it, the cost will be unrealistic without a doubt.

Last edited by rocco16; 01-04-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by rocco16
The reason I say that is this: if someone has to ask if it's easy to do the swap, then they probably do not have the tools, the shop space, and the knowledge/experience to perform that task themselves....and if they PAY a pro to do it, the cost will be unrealistic without a doubt.
Exactly. Especially someone who want's "more gears for more speed". That is a clue, that sheds some light on the OP's technical prowess.

Again your reply is useless. Full of fluff to make yourself feel better.
And your posts?? Why don't you post the swap list/costs? As far as I can discern from this thread, your goal hasn't been to help the OP...it's been to lambast my posts...which you started doing in your first and second post in this thread. Then you accuse ME of being having issues?? I've spun nothing in this thread; I've been straight forward, kept things in context and tried to help the OP with common sense, reason and experience. If you have an issue w/that I'd suggest that you avoid the thread, or simply avoid my posts and post for the OP. Since you've done this swap in an LT1 car, why not start with that parts/cost list?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:23 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Indeed!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteracer72
These guys seem to have a "kit" made for 84 to 88 vette.

Check out the link - might find some info on the subject.

https://shiftsst.com/articles/cat/ge...1988-corvette/

Take a look at that website. They have articles on the available kits along with installation instructions. Even if the OP sourced all the parts himself for another transmission, it should be very similar IMO. It would give an idea of all the various parts and procedures that would need to be accomplished to change out the car. Get an idea if it's something within the OP's expertise and something he's willing and able to do. Additionally there are more than 1 thread on people that have done similar conversions, do some searching and I'm sure you'll find all the info on what has to be done for such a change.

I happen to have a Tremec in my 86 that was put in prior to my purchasing the car. I have not spent a lot of time under the car but what I did it seemed to be a very sanitary install. Not saying go Tremec, rather explore all your options before putting any $$ down and that includes looking for a different manual car if that makes sense.

My 2 cents.

Get notified of new replies

To I would like to know if a T56 6 speed would fit in C4 corvette

Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

And your posts?? Why don't you post the swap list/costs? As far as I can discern from this thread, your goal hasn't been to help the OP...it's been to lambast my posts...which you started doing in your first and second post in this thread. Then you accuse ME of being having issues?? I've spun nothing in this thread; I've been straight forward, kept things in context and tried to help the OP with common sense, reason and experience. If you have an issue w/that I'd suggest that you avoid the thread, or simply avoid my posts and post for the OP. Since you've done this swap in an LT1 car, why not start with that parts/cost list?

Like I said, your too obsessed with being "correct" in your own mind you have no idea about what you are saying. It blows me away that you can't just admit defeat or at least stop while you are ahead but seeing your responses in other threads it's not surprising. You also say you want to help the OP with your experience, what experience swapping a T-56 into a C4?

Considering you seem lack the ability to comprehend my first posts I'll help you out. My first posts were my attempt to change the overall tone of the thread from the T-56 swap is really hard and really expensive to it's not really that hard and not as expensive as it's made out to be. (depending of course on how pricey the parts you buy are) I never made a list so I don't have specific prices on parts besides the T-56 that I bought with many parts with it.

T-56-$1,000 (Came with a flywheel, good clutch, hydraulics, pedals (for an F-body though), bellhousing, clutch fork, shifter and hardware.

That alone is most of the swap cost unless you are a buyer who ONLY buys the T-56 and bellhousing (dumb buy anyways) then it can add up. I have purchased 3 T-56's over the years and all have come with basically everything mentioned here. Me personally I put on a better clutch to beef up the holding power at $250-300, a new flywheel at $100, I had to buy a C4 clutch master cylinder that I got used in great shape for peanuts. Then I bought an adapter($5?) so I could use the F-body roll-pin slave and clutch line with the C4 threaded master. Shifter mod was free (cut and reweld)

I also never said I had an original LT1 car. I have an 84' that I swapped an LT1/T-56 into. I never looked into what to do with the OEM harness to convert to the LT/T-56 combo. I found it easier to buy a stand alone LT1 harness setup for the engine only. The T-56 uses 3 pigtails and you really only NEED 2 of those. (reverse lights and speed sensor) The third is the reverse lockout which you don't have to hookup. I ran my own wiring to the T-56 which was very easy. Others have swapped a T-56 into a C4 so it can't be that hard to modify the OEM harness if you really even need to besides a tune and change the speed sensor pigtail. Probably just leave the Auto harness tied up somewhere and only use the speed sensor/reverse lights wire.

The Auto driveshaft still works and will fit but it's a tight squeeze taking it out. I elongated the holes on the C-beam as the T-56 sits around an inch farther back than the 700r4. I plan on getting a D44 C-beam so I can use the OEM holes as from what I have read the D44 C-beam/driveshaft is an inch shorter than the D36 stuff. One day if I ever get a D44 I will have to elongate the holes again and maybe modify the driveshaft but I'm not concerned about that now.

Bottom line: I was 19 when I got the 84' and did not have the money to just go out and buy a manual C4 whenever I wanted to. Everyone says "just go but a manual car" but not everyone has that ability. I worked with what I had available to me. Plus some people like to modify and wrench on their cars and not just buy them built or ready to go.

Sure I could go out now and buy a manual C4 if I wanted to but I still think I would find a cheaper C4 and mod it again. Not a junker but a solid platform. There isn't much I can't do on these cars besides maybe setting up the rear gears or rebuilding a transmission. (not bragging by any means so don't take it that way) I love working on the vette and I could give a sh*t if it's easier to go buy another C4. Maybe I/they don't want another C4, maybe I/they want the one I/they have already.

And also I have a buddy who bought a T-56 for $1,200 for his trans am and it came with everything. Hell he even got a starter and the floor they cut out of the wrecked 6-speed car. He is still using the questionable borderline garbage flywheel, clutch and hydraulics without issue. (It's been a few years so far) So it's very possible to do this swap fairly inexpensively. It all depends on what you want to work correctly.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

I bought my C-beam to T-56 adapter from Pro Street Customs but it looks like they have moved on to building custom "Corvettes" under the name "Exotic Corvette Concepts". Not sure if they still build that bracket or not. You can always call them but it doesn't look promising. It looks like they dissolved Pro Street Customs to focus on building their cars.

http://prostreetcustomsinc.com/

I actually just sent an email to the owner who emailed me originally when I ordered the part. No idea if he will get back to me as I bought my bracket almost 7 years ago. Here's hoping!

Got a reply! He is still making the brackets!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:27 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

No matter how you slice it with all the little stuff youl still spend a few G
see if its worth it most T56 are getting old have it ckd by a trans shop first. May cost a few but...
if you can stomach it save up and get a kit from Hurst or another vendor here nothing like new parts. Nothing worse than spending money driving it and pulling it apart again to spend more $.

Quick Reply: I would like to know if a T56 6 speed would fit in C4 corvette