I would like to know if a T56 6 speed would fit in C4 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Like I said, your too obsessed with being "correct" in your own mind you have no idea about what you are saying. It blows me away that you can't just admit defeat
This is sad. That's what it's about on the forums, huh? "Victory and defeat"? No...not to me at least. What is important to me, was giving the guy the most sensible advice. Then it became putting my comments into context in response to your attacking posts. Which sucks, b/c then the thread basically went in the toilet.

Considering you seem lack the ability to comprehend my first posts I'll help you out. My first posts were my attempt to change the overall tone of the thread from the T-56 swap is really hard and really expensive to it's not really that hard and not as expensive as it's made out to be.
I understood your first post quite well. You need to recognize "hard or easy", "cheap or expensive" is relative to your experience/skill set. For some, it would be "not that hard/not that expensive". That would be people who can do it all themselves -you and I would be "those people". But...we already know how to do it and we aren't posting on the forums to ask how it's done! We also aren't posting that we want "more gears for more speed". So...I don't think the OP is in the realm of guys like us, with his experience and skill set. No offense to the OP. I could be wrong -that would be OK with me. Maybe he's a bad-assed tech with mad skills and could bust out that swap in a day. IDK...but I doubt it. I'd bet that for this OP...it would end up being "really hard and really expensive".

I also never said I had an original LT1 car. I have an 84' that I swapped an LT1/T-56 into. I never looked into what to do with the OEM harness to convert to the LT/T-56 combo. I found it easier to buy a stand alone LT1 harness setup for the engine only.
I was more concerned with the tune in the ECM. It's my understanding that the tune is different and that installing a stick in an auto car w/o changing the tune results in some drivability issues -like stalling when coming to a stop. Did you not experience this? I have experienced this in my swaps and it was something that needed to be dealt with.

I was 19 when I got the 84' and did not have the money to just go out and buy a manual C4 whenever I wanted to. Everyone says "just go but a manual car" but not everyone has that ability. I worked with what I had available to me. Plus some people like to modify and wrench on their cars and not just buy them built or ready to go.
Dude...I "get it". When I was about that age, I did my first Auto-manual trans swap; I put a T5 in my Trans Am. But selling my TA to get a stick TA wasn't as easy as selling a an auto 'Vette to get a stick 'Vette; there were very few stick TA's that were nice cars/well equipped etc. available. We both HAD the money; I had my TA I could have sold, you had an auto 'Vette that you could sell to buy a stick 'Vette.

I also "get it" about liking to modify and wrench on cars; my TA had three engines, three transmissions, three rear ends several brake systems etc in it over the years that I had it. I get it. Is the OP "that guy"? We don't know. Maybe. It would be nice if the OP would post back, but you and I probably scared the guy off.

So it's very possible to do this swap fairly inexpensively. It all depends on what you want to work correctly.
I agree with that too...but I don't agree that it's less expensive than trading cars. I feel that you could sell any auto 'Vette and get a comparable condition stick 'Vette for about the same price -and end up with the D44 in the process.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-06-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:14 AM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by streetstylekyle
Guys I'm not even the op here haha. I just wanted to know if I could buy the cheaper easier to find (based on what I've seen) t56 is compatible to the lt1 in my auto car. Considering I don't have the money for the 1996 lt4 already manual corvette I wanted to make my own from a 96 lt1. Built not bought foos. Peace
It will be cheaper to sell your car and buy an LT4 car than it will be to convert.

Last edited by dorri732; 05-25-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:40 AM
streetstylekyle
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To everyone, it now is cheaper to put a ZF and ALL of the parts I need into my current car than to sell mine and buy an lt4 manual car. How you say? My car was 3k, parts are 2k, labor under 1k obviously. My challenge then if you wanna prove me wrong is to find an lt4 car in at least the same daily drivable condition as mine in the Los Angeles area for UNDER 5k (so it'll be cheaper, not that same price) and I will sell mine and buy that cheaper car. lol and thank you
Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM
LT1 Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
plenty of guys have done it if you cant do the ZF which is way stronger still a good upgrade sure they will pipe in

So a ZF6 is stronger than a T56??
Old 01-03-2018, 07:35 PM
LT1 Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
plenty of guys have done it if you cant do the ZF which is way stronger still a good upgrade sure they will pipe in
So the ZF6 is a stronger Transmission than a T56??
Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Man
So a ZF6 is stronger than a T56??
Did you really start this post, not come back for over a year and then ask that?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Man
So the ZF6 is a stronger Transmission than a T56??
For sure.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by streetstylekyle
So I can pop one in my 96 lt1 right? It has the 4L60e right now
Sorry, but not if you want to register it in California
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 73n95
wow, there's 10 minutes wasted of my life I will never get back!
Old 06-21-2023, 01:43 PM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy 5 year old thread, Batman!
Old 06-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dorri732
Holy 5 year old thread, Batman!

Quick Reply: I would like to know if a T56 6 speed would fit in C4 corvette