C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

DMITTZ Corvette build Vol.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
lol, Worst thing about modifying stuff is trying to get it figured out. Glad your driving yours. Mine still on jack stands, still finishing up stuff, but I'm very close.

Your car is one sweet ride buddy, I like the color and the rims/wheels.
Thanks Mike, ya getting stuff sorted out can be a bit frusterating at times but in the end its worthwhile.

Hopefully soon both of us can get are cars all figured out and driving properly.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I spent the weekend wiring my car alarm and tweaking my exhaust system. I wanted a remote to unlock my doors/hatch, to make the car like a new car. I also broke my plastic link from the door lock mechanism to the latch. My hands are too big to fit into that tight spot to fix.

I had one exhaust pipe sitting too low on the passenger side.

I've had to add fuel to my maps as the stock set-up was too lean and popped when I free reved the engine.

Neat thing about doing the LS swap is I have an in cab digital pad to adjust my coolant fans on/off setting. Same goes for the engine timing and fuel adjustments for the different engine speeds.

I had my driver side front brake caliper froze up on me, so that on the list as well.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 06-13-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

I spent the weekend wiring my car alarm and tweaking my exhaust system. I wanted a remote to unlock my doors/hatch, to make the car like a new car. I also broke my plastic link from the door lock mechanism to the latch. My hands are too big to fit into that tight spot to fix.

I had one exhaust pipe sitting too low on the passenger side.

I've had to add fuel to my maps as the stock set-up was too lean and popped when I free reved the engine.

Neat thing about doing the LS swap is I have an in cab digital pad to adjust my coolant fans on/off setting. Same goes for the engine timing and fuel adjustments for the different engine speeds.

I had my driver side front brake caliper froze up on me, so that on the list as well.
Sounds like you have your hands full getting things sorted out!

That is pretty cool having the ability to tune on the fly like that, my cts-v is like that also and it makes tuning so much easier!

Unfortunatly tuning adjustments on my corvette means a PROM burn so its a bit more time consuming. I will proabbly arrange to do some data logging with my tuner once I get all the other issues sorted out on the car.

If your brake caliper is frozen, it might be a good excuse to do a front brake upgrade on your car...If found the C5/C6 stuff was pretty inexpensive and didn't require to many other changes to the rest of the brake system but still works much better than my C4 J55 brakes did.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 06-13-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:17 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Default Fixing problems

Hi everyone,

So I went by my local NAPA and got a new O2 sensor. I wanted to get a new alternator also but they were no longer supplying them for my application

Anyway, I jacked the car up and replaced the O2 sensor it was a pretty easy job.

New O2 sensor...

The old sensor just unscrewed from this hole in the driver's side header and I put the new one in and connected the single wire connection, super easy.

I let the car warm up for about 10 min and no codes so I took it for a short drive, and it ran well, i then let it idle for another 5 min and still no codes or anything so I think the new 02 sensor fixed the rough running/ rich condition I was getting in closed loop before. *I hope*

Now I just need to find a local place that sells replacement alternators, or I might have mine rebuilt instead... as its only producing about 11V right now.

-DMITTZ
Old 06-14-2017, 12:46 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I see that rockauto sells your alternator. You can have my old unit if that works for you. I'm not using mine. I had to convert my new four wire alternator to two wire. So far it works.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...generator,2412

Most of my car is built off rockauto parts. I hear you on the brake swap, but then I need new tires for my rims. I'm probably going to run the big Z06 brakesand rotors on my car. My wallet is still pretty sore from all the extra taxes we charged for these days. With work being slow, probably going to be down the road.

My neighbor wants my old L98 engine for a his 78 short bed truck. Been difficult trying to talk him out running that engine. A new 5.3 is cheaper and easier these days, for what you end up with.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 06-14-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:45 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

I see that rockauto sells your alternator. You can have my old unit if that works for you. I'm not using mine. I had to convert my new four wire alternator to two wire. So far it works.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...generator,2412

Most of my car is built off rockauto parts.
That's very kind of you to offer Mike! If you aren't going to use your old alternator and still works fine then I will gladly accept.

I hear you about taxes its amazing how much the government takes as its share. I'm getting ready to hand over a bunch of money for propery taxes this month.

I'll send you a PM about the alternator shortly.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Mittz, you may consider rebuilding your alternator yourself. I know internals are available and takes a couple hours. sorry that i dont have a link for u but if you know the model number nomenclature of your alt you can get internals, it can be googled.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

No probs with the alternator. I'm not going to use it. Its recycle and reuse these days.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

No probs with the alternator. I'm not going to use it. Its recycle and reuse these days.
Thanks so much Mike, I appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:20 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Mittz, you may consider rebuilding your alternator yourself. I know internals are available and takes a couple hours. sorry that i dont have a link for u but if you know the model number nomenclature of your alt you can get internals, it can be googled.
Thanks for the tip about the rebuild kits VT, I wasn't aware such kits were avaiable.

Mike is kindly sending me his alternator so I will use it on my car, but I'll keep my old alternator and proabbly rebuild it at some point. Since I'll have a working alternator to use and it won't be a rush, rebuilding my existing alternator sounds like a fun rainny day project when I get a chance. I'll probbably polish or powder coat the case while I'm at it. But for now I'm happy to put a ready to go alternator on the car and get it on the road.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

No probs buddy, but truthfully my old alternator is pretty grimy, so no thanks is really required.

Hopefully you got your car out for a ride? I drove mine for the first time this year last Sunday. It was like driving the car again for the first time.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:55 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Hi everyone, I have a bit of an update for you.

First, I want to give a big thanks to fourm member Mike Holeman who kindly sent me his alternator.

Unfortunatley, I learned that somewhere between 1985 and 1988 Chevrolet changed the design of the alternators, mine used a '4 prong' style where as mike's 85' one used a '2 prong' style for the electronic connector.

Anyway moving forward, as I mentioned none of my usual parts places sold a replacement alternator. I did a bit of calling around and finally did find a place that did have a replacement alternator.

I also figured that since my red top optima battery was at least 10 years old and since my battery tender died this winter and let the battery go dead for quite a while it would be a good idea to replace the battery also.

So I picked up a new Ultima yellow top battery. It has almost the same CCA as my old red top but its deep cycle capacity should be nice to have.

New Yellow top optima

Old red top one.

As I mentioned suprisingly the CCA for the yellow top is 750 vs 800 for the red top. Not much difference given the yellow is a deep cycle.

So after wrestling the old battery out of the storage compartment and installing the new one I took the car an hour long drive, no major issue.

The only I thing that have to be work out is while cruising at below 1600rpm under moderate to heavy load the engine runs really rough ??? proabbly need to talk to my tuner as I think it is a tune issue, other than that it runs great.

The power band is greaty improved tons of power from 2000-5600rpm

Also the handling is improved with the sway bar and the front suspension seems like it moves much more easily which makes the ride softer. I think the new sway bar got rid of some of the binding in the sway bar.

-DMITTZ

Last edited by DMITTZ; 06-22-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
Hi everyone, I have a bit of an update for you.

Also the handling is improved with the sway bar and the front suspension seems like it moves much more easily which makes the ride softer. I think the new sway bar got rid of some of the binding in the sway bar.

-DMITTZ
That's good to hear
Old 06-26-2017, 12:55 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

I took the car for a pretty good drive today and didn't have any issues again, so that's good.

So the 2 things I still need to do to finish off this build are:

1.) Get the tune figured out.

2.) Figure out why the CD player is not getting power/ not working.

More updates to come.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 06-26-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I tookthe car for a pretty good drive today and didn't have any issues again, so that's good.

So the 2 things I still need to do to finish off this build are:

1.) Get the tune figured out.

2.) Figure out why the CD player is not getting power/ not working.

More updates to come.
Nice
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Looking good as always buddy. One thing with these older cars there is always seems to require a few minor tweaks. Gives us reasons to drink a cold beer in the garage after a long day at work.

My car, my autometer gauges died on me on this weekend. My oil pressure is stuck at 80 psi and my temperature is stuck at 210 deg's F.

I'm sure impressed on how smooth the power from the LQ9 is. Probably racks up with one of my best mods to date.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 06-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Thanks Mike,

Ya older cars certainly are a hobby, because there is always something that needs to be repaired, adjusted or upgraded. I don't know exactly how many hours i've spent working on this car in the last few years but I'm guessing it is at least several hundred hours (maybe more) and I still have so much stuff I COULD do and a few things I NEED to do, I've never yet been able to stand back and say its finished, proabbly never will lol.

Luckily I enjoy the work, my own sort of stress relief therapy

I think that's pretty awesome you got your corvette going with the LQ9! The LS motors are pretty sweet, they make great power and have really good driveability the 6.2L in my CTS-V is a beast when I step on the gas but has no trouble putting around town with the A/C on all day in traffic. With the light weight and handling of the C4 I'm sure the LQ9 in your car can really shine. Must be cool to open the hood uo and see that LS engine in there, not too many LS powered C4's around.

One thing that I need to adjust to with the super ram is I have to remember not to shift too early. I got into the habit of shifting the Corvette at 4500-4600 rpm with the edelbrock intake and I keep forgetting to let the motor wind out to 5500 when I step on gas.

Here's a picture from yesterday just before I took the car out for a drive.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 06-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (06-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To DMITTZ Corvette build Vol.2

Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Default CD player fixed

Hi everyone,

So I had my friend Will come by yesterday to take a look at the non-functioning CD player and he figured out there was a fuse in the CD player that was blown, so we just replaced that and it works now

I also had him take a look at my non-functioning horn, I had already tried changing the relay but that didn't fix it. After doing a bit of electrical testing he determined the problem was in the steering colum.

We did a bit more diagnosing and determined the horn swtich was fine, also pulled the steering wheel and determined the electrical contacts are ok. So somewhere in the colum between the contacts and the wire that enters the colum there is a problem.

Apprently there is a special tool needed to take to colum apart.

I'm powder coating a set of wheels for Will so when he comes to pick them up he'll bring the tool and we'll take the colum apart and do the elecrical repair.

-DMITTZ
Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

I called Scott Hansen yesterday about the tuning and he thinks I should proabbly do some data logging and send him the results so we can get the tune right. So I've ordered the Moates cable so I can connect a laptop to the diagnostic port. I proabbly won't recieve it for a week or two with the holiday weekend. Once it arrives I can data log the car and send the results to Scott.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice! Glad this build is just about done. I'd be curious to hear what kind of numbers the engine is putting out once she's all tuned up

Quick Reply: DMITTZ Corvette build Vol.2