Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

!988 Coolant Leak - top rear under plenum

Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 PM
esckjc@sbcglobal.net
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !988 Coolant Leak - top rear under plenum

I have a leak I neeed to identify and figure out how to get to and repair. The leak is at the rear of the engine, top side, near the distributer. With the plenum on I really can't see where it is specifically. I can't find any info about this in the GM or Haynes shop manuals. Can anyone help?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:54 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by esckjc@sbcglobal.net
I have a leak I neeed to identify and figure out how to get to and repair. The leak is at the rear of the engine, top side, near the distributer. With the plenum on I really can't see where it is specifically. I can't find any info about this in the GM or Haynes shop manuals. Can anyone help?
I would say it is most likely to be either the small coolant fitting that goes from the intake to the heater core hose, or it might be the gasket between the intake and the head at the back of the engine. Check the little fitting first its just beside the distributor on the passenger side by where the egr tube connects to the intake. Best of luck.

-DMITTZ

Last edited by DMITTZ; 01-01-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:29 PM
esckjc@sbcglobal.net
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I would say it is most likely to be either the small coolant fitting that goes from the intake to the heater core hose, or it might be the gasket between the intake and the block at the back of the engine. Check the little fitting first its just beside the distributor on the passenger side by where the egr tube connects to the intake. Best of luck.

-DMITTZ
Reason for hope then that I may not have to take off the intake manifold! That would be a good start to the new year. Thanks, Eric
Old 01-01-2017, 06:28 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Reason for hope then that I may not have to take off the intake manifold! That would be a good start to the new year. Thanks, Eric
Hope I turns out to be an easy fix and best of luck with it.

Also please note I edited my post just now because If its not that fitting that is leaking I meant to say then it may be the gasket between the intake and the head (not the block) at the back of the engine.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 01-01-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM
esckjc@sbcglobal.net
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
Hope I turns out to be an easy fix and best of luck with it.

Also please note I edited my post just now because If its not that fitting that is leaking I meant to say then it may be the gasket between the intake and the head (not the block) at the back of the engine.
Understood. Do you think I'll be able to see that fitting without removing the plenum? Or, is that too much to hope for, although it doesn't look too tricky or time consuming. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:47 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Understood. Do you think I'll be able to see that fitting without removing the plenum? Or, is that too much to hope for, although it doesn't look too tricky or time consuming. Thanks again.
Yes, I think you can get to it without removing the removing the plenum. My guess is you will only have to remove the EGR tube and unplug the hose that connects that fitting to the heater hose to remove it. If that is what's leaking I should be an easy fix. When you remove it put some teflon tape or thread sealer on the threads and that should fix the problem. (if that fitting was causing the leak).

Best of luck.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:53 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

L98s are known for the coolant leak on left side rear between intake and head. I always had a little puddle in that back corner. Been that way for 25 years. Never amounted to much coolant loss. To me it wasn't worth effort, time or money to fix

Get notified of new replies

To !988 Coolant Leak - top rear under plenum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !988 Coolant Leak - top rear under plenum