C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dumb Topic- JB Weld

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Default Dumb Topic- JB Weld

So, I'm vacuuming out the car on Sunday and I have the vac hose behind the passenger seat with the small attachment and just barely touch the plastic on the side center console near the seat belt latch and *CRACK*. Nice little 2" crack running horizontally across. Not a big deal, after I get done detailing the interior I cut a small piece of aluminum, paint it black, and patch the crack with the aluminum piece and JB Weld, and then I got to thinking...I have JB welded so much $h!t on the interior of this car.

It's to be expected, a 20 year old car from the 90's from the south where there's plenty of heat. I get it, but man each time I do it I feel more and more guilty. Nothing in the rear hatch is JB welded, and the door panels don't have any JB weld, but the passenger side hush panel, a/c vent, center console (multiple locations), and a few other bits have JB weld on them. Nothing you can see, but its still in the back of my mind.

How many of your interiors are held together with JB weld in some spaces? Some interior panels aren't created in the aftermarket, and if they are...usually pretty good money.

Whats your guys take, spend the money on new panels and do it right, or since you can't see it just keep on JB welding as needed.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I would JB weld it, if I was going to drive the car. Either way, I'd still JB weld it and save the dough for some new interior pieces. I've always wanted to make interior pieces for C4's, in a similar way Icon or Singer builds their interiors. Expensive, hell yeah. But it will outlast us. I was racing my dad's C6 a while back, and from a dig one of my A/C vents flew out Found a nice used one here, and bought it. Don't sweat it, you're car looks great
The following users liked this post:
TorchTarga94 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
.....How many of your interiors are held together with JB weld in some spaces? Some interior panels aren't created in the aftermarket, and if they are...usually pretty good money.

Whats your guys take, spend the money on new panels and do it right, or since you can't see it just keep on JB welding as needed.
As a rule, I don't like gluing things together, but I have put together some broken fastener bosses in the dash with it and they have held up well.

As to buying new parts or keep JB welding, it depends. If the repair is done well and is strong enough to be functional and there is no visible repair then go the JB route. In some cases you can build it up or reinforce it to be stronger than original. If you have concerns about being permanent or you can tell it was repaired, then buy the replacement parts.

If you are going for a show car, then you need to hunt down good replacement parts.

I know some people will object to "fixing" something by welding/gluing, but I have seen it done inside an auto assembly plant and inside OEM 1st tier auto parts manufacturers. So we are not alone in doing it.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I know some people will object to "fixing" something by welding/gluing, but I have seen it done inside an auto assembly plant and inside OEM 1st tier auto parts manufacturers. So we are not alone in doing it.
I'd have not personal issues with doing it, if invisible or OE looking. A good repair is a good repair.

Furthermore...have you ever taken a door sill off, flipped it over and looked at the bottom of the thing? Yikes. No JB repair could look as bad as that...and that is OEM supplier stuff!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

JB Weld works great if you chop some fiberglass into as you mix.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

super glue n clear silicone are my go to fixes
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I've been amazed at some of the repairs I've pulled off over the years with JB Weld
Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Buick350X
super glue n clear silicone are my go to fixes
I like super glue to set the pieces in place and then epoxy (or JB weld) to build up the area to support and reinforce the fix.

I also use clear silicone for a few things. A very small amount keeps broken lug nut caps in place and is not visible. I have also used a small amount to keep a center cap from squeaking/rattling and to keep them on when some of the plastic clips are missing.

Last edited by QCVette; 01-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I'd have not personal issues with doing it, if invisible or OE looking. A good repair is a good repair
The same here. Why not if you can't tell especially to save money that can be spent some where else?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I've used JB Weld before fix things. I also have used: http://www.plastex.net/Product_Info.php
That works well in making new tabs for things that were broken off or repairing cracks in the dash panels. It worked well.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Glad to know I am not alone. If the repair is in a visible location it will have to have an OE appearance or the panel itself will need to be replaced. It's the hidden stuff I JB Weld, the broken tabs, caved in screw holes, etc...

The one plus to JB weld that QCVette pointed out, is that while not exactly the 100% right way to do it, it does sometimes end up with a stronger repair than original.

Tom, come to think of it, your right. I had my passenger side door sill off a couple weeks ago for a Bose repair, and couldn't believe that grey goop they used to seal stuff up under there. What a mess if you get it on you.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I once used JB Weld as a head gasket. It worked great for over 10,000 miles.

Richard Newton
C4 - Rear Suspension
Old 01-05-2017, 12:43 PM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

why use JB weld instead of a real gasket, if you are taking the head off the gasket is cheap. I don't know how you could use it any other way?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
I once used JB Weld as a head gasket.
I sure feel sorry for the new owner of that car!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Most epoxy's , glues or fiberglass do not stick well to ABS plastic. It will stick for a while but like a bad weld, it may look good on the surface but no penetration. Use glue made for ABS, acetone with pieces of scrap ABS dissolved in it to make a paste or a plastic repair kit if you want a permanent repair.
The following users liked this post:
mixalive (05-15-2020)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I've done JB weld on plastic when I rebuilt my interiors, and all still together.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
I once used JB Weld as a head gasket. It worked great for over 10,000 miles.

Richard Newton
C4 - Rear Suspension

If were confessing, I JB Welded a spark plug into a Honda Rebel Limited 250 before, then sold it months later. [ man I miss that bike, $2 in gas would last a week, was chrome n gold all over engine, fancy variegated tank stickers ]

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb Topic- JB Weld

Old 01-07-2017, 01:44 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
So, I'm vacuuming out the car on Sunday and I have the vac hose behind the passenger seat with the small attachment and just barely touch the plastic on the side center console near the seat belt latch and *CRACK*. Nice little 2" crack running horizontally across. Not a big deal, after I get done detailing the interior I cut a small piece of aluminum, paint it black, and patch the crack with the aluminum piece and JB Weld, and then I got to thinking...I have JB welded so much $h!t on the interior of this car.

It's to be expected, a 20 year old car from the 90's from the south where there's plenty of heat. I get it, but man each time I do it I feel more and more guilty. Nothing in the rear hatch is JB welded, and the door panels don't have any JB weld, but the passenger side hush panel, a/c vent, center console (multiple locations), and a few other bits have JB weld on them. Nothing you can see, but its still in the back of my mind.

How many of your interiors are held together with JB weld in some spaces? Some interior panels aren't created in the aftermarket, and if they are...usually pretty good money.

Same problem with my console; same fix except I embedded some small lengths of welding rod in the jb weld
Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I like Shoe Goo (Goop, whatever) for a lot minor fixes, the stuff is tuff and takes vibration pretty well. Obviously not for high strength though.

Super glue, well, it sucks most of the time. It is fast dry, holds well at first. But it tends to crack, especially as it ages. And the really annoying part is how fast all of it dries to a hard rock in it's container. Open a bottle (2-3 oz) and it's junk in a year.

Goo on the other hand, when a tube gets a little age on it, goes to a paste, which still works great and is easy apply without spreading.

JB, I'm a newbie, used to typical epoxy. How is it mixed? Bare handed or gloves? I tried once with bare hands and had it on for a few days.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:33 AM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I love the stuff! Used it for many fixes over the years.
20 years ago, a White shark ripped my leg off, but luckily, I had some JB on hand...leg still kicking!

Quick Reply: Dumb Topic- JB Weld