Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone know who has the tool for removing the back up switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Hall1836
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to apologize to matthewmiller, your link says the wrenches are available, when I keyed on it before there was a notation that they were not available???? Two days ago those wrenches were not in the store, will check when they have their sale you cant beat the price. By the way the SEARS by me had no offset wrenches metric or SAE.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

22mm offset box wrenches are available all over the place.
Here's a link to Ebay with listings for full sets with that wrench and also singles.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rench&_sacat=0

Sears also has them and will ship to store for free pickup.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I got some recently when I had to use them for spark plugs with my long-tube headers. I want to say I got them either at Napa or Autozone.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Is this something that you can do in a driveway, laying on your back with the car jacked up? Or, are you pretty much relegated to getting a lift (and/or paying) at a shop?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Koshore
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a driveway is fine
Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

And the verdict is in on the VW wrench, it does not work. They market it as a 22mm wrench but in reality it's just a bit smaller, it doesn't fit. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a set of the offset metric box wrenches for $13.78 after the 20% discount coupon. The 22mm wrench from that set worked like a charm.

I tried cleaning and rotating the ball on the stock switch, no change so it looks like a new switch is in my future.

I have a new problem now though, I put it all back together and now have no clutch pedal. I pulled the slave back down to make sure I got the rod centered on the clutch fork, which I did. Not sure what I may have done here, time for some research.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by gdl2165
I tried cleaning and rotating the ball on the stock switch, no change so it looks like a new switch is in my future.
I ended up taking mine to my local repair guys who I know. They had the car up on a lift and removed with a 7/8 is less than 5 minutes and kept the slave in place.

We cleaned, reinstalled and had B/U light for a second.... then no more.

I ordered a new switch and will try again later this week.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

My switch went intermittent about 4 years back and I saw the problem with access also. I wasn't liking the way it shifted either, with the BMW 60wt oil that was in there either, so while I was under there I switched to the AmsOil Manual Synchromesh Transmission 5W-30 Oil. Before I had a chance to find a wrench and go back under there, the switch started working again. Apparently the AmsOil cleaned the goo out of the switch ball and it's worked ever since. (and I like the way it shifts now too)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:36 PM
gdl2165
Pro

I agree with the Amsoil, I'm running that in mine and love the way it shifts. I was expecting to find some crud on the ball of the switch but it looked like new when I pulled it out. I cleaned the ball end anyway with some MAF spray cleaner I had handy and spun the ball several times to make sure it was moving freely, which it was both before and after cleaning. Still battling the clutch pedal problem now, I'm going to start a thread in the tech forum to see if anyone has any ideas on that.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Your clutch problem might be air in the master cylinder. When you had the slave out, its piston may have moved out farther than it usually would have traveled and let the fluid go down far enough in the master to let air in the line. When you put it back together, maybe an air bubble stayed in the line.
The following users liked this post:
gdl2165 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:11 AM
gdl2165
Pro

Now that's the most logical scenario I've heard yet on what may have happened. I've seen Youtube videos of people using a Mityvac pump stuck into the orifice on the master cylinder to suck the air out, I think maybe I'll try that. I presume that would bleed any air out of the master.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:28 PM
gdl2165
Pro

I think Klondike hit the nail on the head with my problem. Always make sure the master cylinder is full before removing the slave. I have a new problem now though, it looks like when I pulled the slave it let the piston move further than normal and messed up the seals. I now have a leak so I'm going to have to replace it. I'd get it rebuilt but the powertorquesystems website is no longer working so I'm afraid they went out of business.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:13 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

I think Klondike hit the nail on the head with my problem. Always make sure the master cylinder is full before removing the slave. I have a new problem now though, it looks like when I pulled the slave it let the piston move further than normal and messed up the seals. I now have a leak so I'm going to have to replace it. I'd get it rebuilt but the powertorquesystems website is no longer working so I'm afraid they went out of business.
I bet he's just down for a bit. But fwiw, I've had good luck with the NAPA brand replacement so far. It's cheap enough that you can get it and install it now, and rebuild your OE one for later.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:20 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Hopefully he'll come back because I really wanted to get it rebuilt. i called NAPA and they tell me they don't even stock it in their warehouse now and that it's a special order. I managed to find one at O'Reilly's so I just picked that up and will install it for now. Came with a lifetime warranty so I may just stick with it let them replace it if/when it fails. Interestingly, it's a Power Torque brand, I don't know if it's from the same Power Torque Systems that did the rebuilding or not but if not it's an interesting coincidence.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:11 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

i called NAPA and they tell me they don't even stock it in their warehouse now and that it's a special order.
Hmmm, I just bought one in October. Must be a regional thing.

I managed to find one at O'Reilly's so I just picked that up and will install it for now. Came with a lifetime warranty so I may just stick with it let them replace it if/when it fails. Interestingly, it's a Power Torque brand, I don't know if it's from the same Power Torque Systems that did the rebuilding or not but if not it's an interesting coincidence.
I strongly doubt it. He would make them in ways that are better but cost a lot more, I'm sure.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:24 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Hmmm, I just bought one in October. Must be a regional thing.

I strongly doubt it. He would make them in ways that are better but cost a lot more, I'm sure.
Probably on the first point and definitely not on the second point. I hadn't looked closely before I posted that, it's marked all over Made in Taiwan. Turns out Power Torque is just one of those cheapo brands that O'Reilly's carries. Oh well, hopefully it'll last me awhile.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Probably on the first point and definitely not on the second point. I hadn't looked closely before I posted that, it's marked all over Made in Taiwan. Turns out Power Torque is just one of those cheapo brands that O'Reilly's carries. Oh well, hopefully it'll last me awhile.
I don't know if rebuild kits are still available, but your OE unit is probably a good candidate. If the only reason it started leaking is due to overextension of the piston, then the bore should still be in good shape. Maybe you can rebuild it yourself?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:19 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I don't know if rebuild kits are still available, but your OE unit is probably a good candidate. If the only reason it started leaking is due to overextension of the piston, then the bore should still be in good shape. Maybe you can rebuild it yourself?
In my searching I haven't found anyone selling a rebuild kit. I have another thread going in the tech section on this issue and was just provided with a phone number for Jim at Power Torque, I'm going to be giving him a call to see about getting it rebuilt. In the meantime though, the one I picked up at O'Reilly's seems to be working fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone know who has the tool for removing the back up switch?