Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

About to buy new tires, which ones have the best wet grip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
corvetteBlack
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default About to buy new tires, which ones have the best wet grip?

Hi,

I noticed a small crack on one my my rear tires, they are 315 35z17 102Y, Goodyear Eagle F1GS-D3 tyres (https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-f1-gs-d3) . I would just buy them again because I can tell they are the most superior tires I've ever had on a car. I bought the car second hand (I'm the second owner), the tires where already on the car for quite a while.

In the 7 months that I've owned the car they haven't lost any tread at all and it's my daily driver, I do a lot of harsh braking but no burnouts (I'm crap at burnouts). The grip is really good. It's been raining heavy in San Jose and the tires have been superb. Even in really heavy rain the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's have been outstanding, both when starting from 0MPH to cruising on the highway, they have zero "tramlining" and not once have I lost control or aquaplaned, they displace water very well. I am thinking there is no tire that will beat this one? The tires are really expensive and I would rather go for the ones I know are good than to by another brand and regret it. $404 per tire if I buy them on the Goodyear website .

On the Goodyear website, the F1 GS-D3's are described as having these features which I can confirm are all true from 1st hand experience:
** "V-TRED™ Technology delivers excellent wet traction and a smooth, quiet ride."
** "AAtrax™ tread compound provides 'AA'-rated wet traction and outstanding dry grip without sacrificing treadwear."
** "Rim protector helps guard wheels against accidental curb damage."
** "Ultra Wet Traction - Directional OneTRED™ design features three integrated tread zones for superior traction and handling."
** "Sleek, European-inspired appearance."

I also heard that the Goodyears are the best tires of this size and that other tires tend to be smaller than advertised therefore will look awkward when fitted (including Kumo - for this size!). I'm thinking of just buying the exact same tires. I have read another thread and it's clear that Summitomo tires fit just as good as the Goodyears but I'm not sure if they are as capable in all weather? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ith-tires.html

Do any of you have 315 35z17 tyres, If so, which tires do you think are better than the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's for all weather handling?

Last edited by corvetteBlack; 01-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:32 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

If you don't want to go Nitto check out the Mickey Thompson's on Summit Racing. I wish Continental made a 315/17" tire.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Tire rack has the D3's for $338 plus shipping (guess about $30 per tire)
Old 01-16-2017, 04:19 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

You do not need to spend big bucks on tires, I used to like my Hankook tires until they stopped making the big tires.

I ended up trying some cheap NEXEN tires that were highly recommended, they have the silica tread compound which grips real good in the wet.

They are actually very impressive, smooth round tires so no vibration and they grip like glue wet or dry. They are dirt cheap at 100 each and I have been using them for years, the best gripping tires I have ever had.

They have no problem with high horsepower or track days, only side effect is slightly noisy with the wet weather tread.
As compared to modern tire profiles that have the solid rubber all around, with minimal groves across the tire only on the edges.

Which their new ones have, will try them in a couple of months.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 PM
corvetteBlack
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't find any NEXEN tires but I found Nitto tyres for $201, which is exactly half the price of the Goodyears, instead of replacing the rears with Goodyears for $808 I could replace all four of my tires with Nitto NT555 G2's for under $804 (because my front tires are smaller the price for all four Nitto's will be around $700~).

Someone recommended going to America's tires in San Jose for quick and friendly service so I might do that http://www.americastire.com/en/buy-t...555-g2/p/18535

The Nitto's have excellent reviews on both dry (but more importantly wet weather conditions) so I'm thinking Nitto's might be as good as the Goodyears?

One thing though, it really is true that the Goodyears do not wear out for years upon years, they could last over a decade easy I think, Goodyear didn't spare a penny while engineering them.

Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires 90000020061 are only $164 but they seem like a @"Mickey Mouse
brand to me https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6278/overview/

Nitto's vs Goodyears?

Last edited by corvetteBlack; 01-16-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nitto's vs Goodyears

Both good tires Have both love my Goodyears You get what you pay for.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvetteBlack
Even in really heavy rain the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's have been outstanding, both when starting from 0MPH to cruising on the highway
I have GS-D3s and they are absolutely the best tires I've ever had in the rain. From my experience, you won't find a better tire.

If they are in stock at tirerack, they will have the best price.

Last edited by ghlkal; 01-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
corvetteBlack (01-21-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 PM
phDiesel
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Sumitomo HTRZ III's at 255 up front 285 in the rear on mine.

They are outstanding for the price. VERY predictable. They produce more road noise than I'd like but wet weather performance has been spectacular.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again. I've yet to find the limit of their wet weather grip and I've been in some gnarly stuff with them.

I recently took them out on snow and ice. My car performed better than my friends new mustang out there.
The following users liked this post:
corvetteBlack (01-21-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

if you go to the tire rack and research your size and tire type, and go to customer survey, one category is wet traction. lots of customers and lots of user miles. it limited to the brands they sell (which is many), but it's still opinions, but a lot of opinions.

Last edited by Joe C; 01-18-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteBlack
I noticed a small crack on one my my rear tires, they are 315 35z17 102Y, Goodyear Eagle F1GS-D3 tyres (https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-f1-gs-d3) . I would just buy them again because I can tell they are the most superior tires I've ever had on a car. I bought the car second hand (I'm the second owner), the tires where already on the car for quite a while.
I don't know what a "small crack" means exactly, but I wouldn't spend four digits for new street tires just because of that. If the tires are holding air, stay in balance, and still have tread and grip, just keep driving on them.

Get notified of new replies

To About to buy new tires, which ones have the best wet grip?

Quick Reply: About to buy new tires, which ones have the best wet grip?