Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can you recommend a dash camera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Can you recommend a dash camera?

A co-worker had his convertible slashed in the parking garage, plus my C4 is apparently invisible. So I'm researching video surveillance.

It will need motion (or at least shock) detection, and I prefer discreet over one with a display.

This Rexing V1 has a lot of good reviews. Price is not bad.

Is there a really good match out there for the C4?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think I'd want to have a visible camera in my car when left unattended. Just because it's behind the mirror doesn't mean someone won't see it and it might provoke someone to break in to steal it. If I just want to document a drive I slap my gopro on the windshield and hide it when I get out. Just like you would do with a radar detector.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by RIC96
I don't think I'd want to have a visible camera in my car when left unattended. Just because it's behind the mirror doesn't mean someone won't see it and it might provoke someone to break in to steal it. If I just want to document a drive I slap my gopro on the windshield and hide it when I get out. Just like you would do with a radar detector.
Thanks. Good point. And when the car isn't running, they all seem to need a direct wire anyway.

Several of us park there. If we all had them, I thought we might prevail. Plus I would like something less expensive than the GoPro in case they decide to have a look anyway. Or more likely I forget it's in view.

My friend's convertible was literally a soft target. They got the well hidden Glock in the box and totaled his car.

Open to other solutions. There's no Wi-Fi, but there is access to power in the garage.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Toaster246
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could try a trail camera maybe. Assuming you can hide it decently.

Maybe check with the garage owner prior though, they may have cameras or may not want your cameras mounted outside your vehichles.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield

Open to other solutions. There's no Wi-Fi, but there is access to power in the garage.

Search on amazon for spy cameras. There are a lot of options and some are as small as a button. I don't know how reliable they are but are much cheaper than dash cams.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
A co-worker had his convertible slashed in the parking garage, plus my C4 is apparently invisible. So I'm researching video surveillance.

It will need motion (or at least shock) detection, and I prefer discreet over one with a display.

This Rexing V1 has a lot of good reviews. Price is not bad.

Is there a really good match out there for the C4?

Hi
I am using the 0806 model dash cam, has 2x 128gb micro SD cards for around 80 hours recording, a hard wired kit with Parking guard. (different adhesive mount that has continual 12 volts supply) for park guard to keep track of what goes on around the car, is activated by movement and records to the micro SD cards.

They come with various memory card size options, gps, speed G force sensing and video recording.

Have one in my vette and a standard one in my company car, video evidence is great for defense.
Do not rely on someone speaking the truth after an accident, lawyers can bamboozle any judge. However video evidence always comes up trumps, has time date time speed and HD resolution.

Just look on Ebay or Google
Old 01-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
I am using the 0806 model dash cam, has 2x 128gb micro SD cards for around 80 hours recording, a hard wired kit with Parking guard. (different adhesive mount that has continual 12 volts supply) for park guard to keep track of what goes on around the car, is activated by movement and records to the micro SD cards.

They come with various memory card size options, gps, speed G force sensing and video recording.

Have one in my vette and a standard one in my company car, video evidence is great for defense.
Do not rely on someone speaking the truth after an accident, lawyers can bamboozle any judge. However video evidence always comes up trumps, has time date time speed and HD resolution.

Just look on Ebay or Google
Thank you. Found it on Amazon. That's a nice size alright.

I might be able to set up a button cam in the halo, but the resolution is pretty low, and it still needs a storage solution.

I'm still leaning toward the V1. 3,400+ reviews and 4.5 stars is pretty compelling.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:32 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3Q6OU3JUZJQCD

This is the one I bought. Cheap, decent picture quality and it doesn't skip a beat. It just loops and rewrites over the old videos but it takes me a whole day (7-8 hours) to have that happen and I have it on the max resolution. I haven't tried it during the nighttime though for some reason. I drive quite a bit for my job so it's nice to have.

I bought this one originally expecting terrible picture quality and a cheap/junky unit but it has far surpassed my expectations.

I have a few "clips" that I have "locked" (so it can't rewrite over them) of a few stupid people haha.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

i too would love to hear recommendations,

ive always wanted one for parking lot damage.

i imagine one front mounted and another rear mounted.

ideally the cameras would be discreet and the recorder/memory card
hidden somewhere.

also nice in the event of accident. people drive like $h1t and it would be nice to sue them for an accident they cause (or my family sue them -in case im dead)

Get notified of new replies

To Can you recommend a dash camera?

Quick Reply: Can you recommend a dash camera?