Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I know it's winter but you better.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:54 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default I know it's winter but you better.....

Get off the couch and start up the Vette because you will be glad you did come spring. When the car sits for long periods, gaskets and seals can dry out and set themselves. This is when you will notice little drops of transmission oil and maybe engine oil under the car. Your also helping out your battery, u-joints , brake rotors, alternator, fluids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I can't think of. I have read where some c6 owners who put little or no miles on their cars and then need to pull the transmission to put on a $50 seal. How many times have you read on this forum about someone trying to get running a car that has sat for a period of time and then replaces a pile of parts trying to get the thing going. I try to run the car 2-3 times a month at a minimum. Get it up to operating temp and run around the block if you can. If you have snow or salt on the ground forget that and at least move the car a foot or two. You should also have some fuel conditioners in the gas to counter act the crappy fuel that we are forced to buy. Alcohol is the killer here because it attracts water which is a big no no. I use Startron and Lucas for different reasons. That is a whole other subject as is battery care over the winter. You can ask me if you like.

Last edited by auggy; 01-28-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
The following 4 users liked this post by auggy:
B17Crew (01-28-2017), Enderlin (01-28-2017), kenmohr (01-29-2017), the kid C6 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:53 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

i go out and start all the vehicles that are put away for the winter. My pickup truck, actually both trucks, the diesel and the '91 454 4x4 I am restoring, the Vette, the diesel tractor and the lawn mower. you got to.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:09 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I got off the couch and put about 50 miles on today. I made sure all the new fluids were moved around well. It was cold enough that no melting was going on and the roads were pretty clean.

Gary
Old 01-28-2017, 06:09 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I did the cruise today to get everything flowing nicely. We had lots of rain earlier in the week and knew that it would wash the roads off for the weekend. So I planned on it.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I wanna start someone elses vette and go for a ride. Hopefully it will be full of gas and have good plates. Doesnt have to be a vert but shiney wheels would be great.I PERFER BLACK BUT WHITE, GREEN OR BLUE IS OK. No rips in rhe seat either, close to home is great as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I've been told that the worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit.

Last edited by the kid C6; 01-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

auggy, many owners here on CF know this material and may take it for granted that everyone is in the “know”. It’s good to see a post like yours which informs the new Corvette owner who is just getting their feet wet in caring for the mechanicals of their car.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up, a very cool thing to do IMHO.

B17Crew

Last edited by B17Crew; 01-28-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 PM
ON 8TH
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Edv92c4
I did the cruise today to get everything flowing nicely. We had lots of rain earlier in the week and knew that it would wash the roads off for the weekend. So I planned on it.
Same here,so I drove it into work Thurs night,windy as hell tho.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:23 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
Get off the couch and start up the Vette because you will be glad you did come spring. When the car sits for long periods, gaskets and seals can dry out and set themselves. This is when you will notice little drops of transmission oil and maybe engine oil under the car. Your also helping out your battery, u-joints , brake rotors, alternator, fluids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I can't think of. I have read where some c6 owners who put little or no miles on their cars and then need to pull the transmission to put on a $50 seal. How many times have you read on this forum about someone trying to get running a car that has sat for a period of time and then replaces a pile of parts trying to get the thing going. I try to run the car 2-3 times a month at a minimum. Get it up to operating temp and run around the block if you can. If you have snow or salt on the ground forget that and at least move the car a foot or two. You should also have some fuel conditioners in the gas to counter act the crappy fuel that we are forced to buy. Alcohol is the killer here because it attracts water which is a big no no. I use Startron and Lucas for different reasons. That is a whole other subject as is battery care over the winter. You can ask me if you like.
I do the same
The following users liked this post:
91 black convert (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I wanna start someone elses vette and go for a ride. Hopefully it will be full of gas and have good plates. Doesnt have to be a vert but shiney wheels would be great.I PERFER BLACK BUT WHITE, GREEN OR BLUE IS OK. No rips in rhe seat either, close to home is great as well.
Lol you're funny - drove to Greenwood Comcast in mine yesterday- nice drive - overcast but dry. I think I had the only Vette on the road.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I've been told that the worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:50 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by B17Crew
auggy, many owners here on CF know this material and may take it for granted that everyone is in the “know”. It’s good to see a post like yours which informs the new Corvette owner who is just getting their feet wet in caring for the mechanicals of their car.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up, a very cool thing to do IMHO.

B17Crew
Thank you for your kind comment.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:09 PM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Yessir. Here in MI where we're under a layer of ice, I let it run in the garage for about 20 minites once a week-ish. Turn all the lights, climate controls, etc, on and off, open and close all the doors and hatches, etc.

I do this because it's good for both the car and me. ��
Old 01-29-2017, 02:20 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by jdlclam
Yessir. Here in MI where we're under a layer of ice, I let it run in the garage for about 20 minites once a week-ish. Turn all the lights, climate controls, etc, on and off, open and close all the doors and hatches, etc.

I do this because it's good for both the car and me. ��
I do the same routine as you. Mine sits covered from October to April in the garage. I start it every 2-3 weeks and let it run up to 200 degrees. Moving it around a bit is also good advice.

Get notified of new replies

To I know it's winter but you better.....

Quick Reply: I know it's winter but you better.....