C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

90 C4 engine swap

Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Karp
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 90 C4 engine swap

Aloha,
As most of you know I just picked up a 84 for the engine and parts.
I worked my butt off ripping the engine out today, it looks good. I dont have endless time to rip this 84 apart, i rent its parking at $4 a day, plus the shop time when I push it in. So from 7am to 4pm about $40 and another $6 if i leave it in overnight. So it could be $50 a day for inside. Ontop of taking a day off work. Anyways

Engine is out so now its time for the fuel pump, radio antenna, headlights, etc, etc etc.

My boss is reall trying to get me to rip out the 4 speed, rear diff, and all the other stuff and replace my automatic in my 90. On one hand I agree with him, because my 90 is at 137,000 miles and i drive it about 100 miles a day to-fro work. (He also says keep it carberated, ripping all the egr stuff out?)

I like the fact that i can use cruise control, and I also like the fact that i could have a manual? I mean i have all the parts I would just need to completly swap the cars lol.

The 84 im taking apart has everyting from Edelbrok heads, headers to a Zoom clutch. (84 caught fire and ni longer street legal) also if anyone knows where the computer is on a 84 lmk, its not like the 90 right under the hood. (Im thinking the 84 must be chipped?)

If I was going thru all the pain I would want a 6 speed, yet can only find a used on for $800 not including the rear end gears.

I would love to hear your thoughts, yes I have and continue to read about swapping to a manual (yet I have an 84 manual) Do I:

1. rebuild the automatic for 3K (yeah even if its out, Hawaii is such a ripoff)

2. swap out the trans and rear end from the 84 to have 3+1 Manual trans?

3. Spend the cash for the 6 speed, and use all the 84 parts?

4. Be happy, put the new engine in and wait till the trans craps out then spend the 3K to have it rebuilt?

I don't plan on keeping the 84 past Feb, and tomorrow is another full day of ripping it apart, so any thoughts would be appriciated.

I will continue to update this thread as i reseal and replace the engine possibly more? Thanks you.

Smile-Z-Have Fun,
Karp
Attached Images     
Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

You're paying $50 a day. Just how fast do you think you can transfer everything from the 84 to the 90? Not just the clutch and transmission, but wiring, rear end, any and all modifications required etc. I have not done it but read where others have done it. It seems to take months based on the various threads so if you add $50 a day, add that to your cost.

Depending on your desires, if you want to modify your 90 to a manual, I'd fix up what you have for now to get it out of the shop and strip the 84 of all usable parts and store them for now till you can get your own garage or shop space and store them till then. That would give you time to check out all compatibility issues at your leisure and sort out what needs to be done.

Personally I'd think about salvaging all you can, get the car running for now and sell off what you can. Once you have this, you then need to consider do you really want a manual in your existing car or not. Between selling the car and parts, hopefully you can get enough $ to trade to something else and not have to spend months of work to get it done.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I guess your not an original car nut like many of us are. Problem is, if you ever want to sell it you'll get little unless you find the guy looking for a mod. If I was in your position I'd sell off everything along with $50 a day for god knows how long and find a nice original ZF. With your mechanical expertise you could make it a keeper.

Just want to give you a perspective on the other side of the coin.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

To get the 84 drivetrain to "talk" to a 90 car (CC, gauges, FI, etc) is going to be way more trouble than it is worth. I think the 89 up ZF cars used a separate rear (different ratio and stronger gearset) than the 4+3 and auto cars. I would swap the engine transfer over as much as you can from your 90 to it. I am not sure if the intake from the 90 will bolt up to those heads, so you might have to go the carb route, which for a DD would not be ideal.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 C4 engine swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90 C4 engine swap