Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Op suggestion

Rather than wasting years of your life and wasting others time

Put out a couple Want To Buy ads online

List exactly what you want, expect and top dollar youll pay let it be known you are firm.

Worked for me a few times, others word of mouth usually nets a nice find for a "keeper" and noone gets their feelings hurt.
If you are serious and ready to buy thats about as easy as it gets, the car finding you.

Nobody that owns a proper car esp a sport car does NOT know it. May have a situation that gets you what you want though!
Know one or two guys that buys the way you want. He has a few different emails sends out a half dozen email low ***** a day every once in awhile it works he takes a LOT of chit.
On the ones that take he sends from antoher address waits til he gets there offers a little more than the "email lowballers" and takes the car home. Its shady but he lives with it I guess
that email tactic is an interesting technique, kind of similar to what a buddy of mine does selling on ebay, he has friends of his run the bids up on items he is selling.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by Edv92c4
Cash makes all the difference in the world. It locks the deal in on the spot. If a buyer tells you he will be back in like 2 days with a bank check that's two days that he could find another deal or his wife could tell him no...or any other excuse. People desperate to sell will jump on a lower amount with cash because they know it will all be over in a minute...not spending the next two days hoping the buyer won't back out.
I agree cash is king. Not that I have bought and sold a lotta vettes, but on all the others deals I have ever scored on cash talks and bullcrap walks. I make it a point to pull the cash wad out and show it to them, that way they know what they are missing if I walk, and if I still got my money in my pocket when I leave then I figure I didn't loose cause I'm still on the hunt.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
that email tactic is an interesting technique, kind of similar to what a buddy of mine does selling on ebay, he has friends of his run the bids up on items he is selling.
I didn't know you could still get away with that. A friend of mine tried doing that but eBay somehow knew that the two people knew each other. When I bid on items and the other bidder has a 0 feedback that is a sure sign of the seller bidding up his own item...and I back away...
Old 03-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

...and then I notice the item listed again...
Old 03-02-2017, 07:35 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings

1992 excellent condition. $7k? I wish, not in these parts. Been looking for Months. $7k would be one with 145,000 miles, torn seats and who knows what kind of money pit it will become.
yeah I heard a few other people say that its a sellers market in the northern states, not to mention all the salt rusty frames, it might pay for you to fly out to a nice hot dry place and make a buy, I think the vettes are more plentiful here cause folks can drive em year around.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

cuisineartvette is bang on.

work smart not hard. post a wanted ad. leverage.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

I didn't know you could still get away with that. A friend of mine tried doing that but eBay somehow knew that the two people knew each other. When I bid on items and the other bidder has a 0 feedback that is a sure sign of the seller bidding up his own item...and I back away...
After he told me about that I only bid At the last second, that way nobody has the chance to run me up, just figure my maximum bid and let it ride with 5 seconds left
Old 03-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It sounds to me thought that you want to enjoy a lengthy search and drive a lot of cars before you buy "the one". I actually advise people who want to buy a C4 for the first time to do just that ... go out and drive as many C4's as they can before they buy. You will then be able to tell just by driving the car what a well maintained and sorted out one feels like. The best place to do this is used car dealerships because they expect people to take them for test drives. They won't get pissed if you say after the test drive sorry this isn't the one for me.

Then after 6 months of doing that ... you find cars private sellers that you know you're willing to buy if they turn out to be "as advertised". A long term private owner is more likely to have maintenance receipts.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Cash makes all the difference in the world. It locks the deal in on the spot. If a buyer tells you he will be back in like 2 days with a bank check that's two days that he could find another deal or his wife could tell him no...or any other excuse. People desperate to sell will jump on a lower amount with cash because they know it will all be over in a minute...not spending the next two days hoping the buyer won't back out.
I agree cash is king. Not that I have bought and sold a lotta vettes, but on all the others deals I have ever scored on cash talks and bullcrap walks. I make it a point to pull the cash wad out and show it to them, that way they know what they are missing if I walk, and if I still got my money in my pocket when I leave then I figure I didn't loose cause I'm still on the hunt.

I have scored so many great deals showing up with cash and my trailer. "I can have that car out of here in 15 minutes" works wonders, especially if the sellers wife/girlfriend/parents are there.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:09 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

I have scored so many great deals showing up with cash and my trailer. "I can have that car out of here in 15 minutes" works wonders, especially if the sellers wife/girlfriend/parents are there.

completely. ^^^^

i showed up with $$$ in my pocket and drove home with my 86 for way way way way undermarket because the snow was about to fly, the guy resented the car, and it was taking his girlfriends parking space lol.

he started at 9k, 6months later he was at 5k ask. i showed up and just let him talk it down until he honestly said "look man just make me an offer i just want it gone, you cant offend me".

i offered $500, we settled on $650. i had 4k in my pocket!!!! and i drove it home !!! hahahahaha

you can tell how stoked i am as i keep bringing it up. ill shut up about it now but these deals do happen.

shame shame shame!!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

After he told me about that I only bid At the last second, that way nobody has the chance to run me up, just figure my maximum bid and let it ride with 5 seconds left
Oh yeah...I'm a sniper too...the only way to fly on fleabay
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
It sounds to me thought that you want to enjoy a lengthy search and drive a lot of cars before you buy "the one". I actually advise people who want to buy a C4 for the first time to do just that ... go out and drive as many C4's as they can before they buy. You will then be able to tell just by driving the car what a well maintained and sorted out one feels like. The best place to do this is used car dealerships because they expect people to take them for test drives. They won't get pissed if you say after the test drive sorry this isn't the one for me.

Then after 6 months of doing that ... you find cars private sellers that you know you're willing to buy if they turn out to be "as advertised". A long term private owner is more likely to have maintenance receipts.
I think I'm gonna pick up a c5 as a driver to commute in every day. I have only driven a really nice one that's in mint condition which is my dads. It's a 1998 with 20k miles, looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Perhaps it would pay to drive some of the dealer cars to see some potential problems. Me an a budy had a bad experience with one of those finance here places years back testing a mustang. It blew a head gasket while testing. We whipped in handed over the keys and hauled butt. Was worried they was gonna get after us but we never heard from them. I wonder if any of the large reputable dealers will still have these cars on the floor or if they just put the trade ins to auction.

Last edited by midlifecrisis1979; 03-03-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Me an a budy had a bad experience with one of those finance here places years back testing a mustang. It blew a head gasket while testing. We whipped in handed over the keys and hauled butt.
This is why so many vette owners are **** about test drives. Would you beat on a Taurus or Malibu enough to blow a head gasket on a test drive? I'm selling a driver, not a race car. You want to flog it... buy it first.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
completely. ^^^^

i
i offered $500, we settled on $650. i had 4k in my pocket!!!! and i drove it home !!! hahahahaha

you can tell how stoked i am as i keep bringing it up. ill shut up about it now but these deals do happen.

shame shame shame!!
Id take a black eye for 4k!

especially if the sellers wife/girlfriend/parents are there
excellent
Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by RIC96
This is why so many vette owners are **** about test drives. Would you beat on a Taurus or Malibu enough to blow a head gasket on a test drive? I'm selling a driver, not a race car. You want to flog it... buy it first.
Actually I do that to any car I test drive to a certain extent, like when I bought my accord a few years back I explained to the salesman that I wanted to floor the car to see the power. He directed me to the intrastate where I floored it from 0-70 off the onramp. A car should be able to do this without blowing a head gasket. I like to put a car through the motions and then park it still running to see if anything is leaking after the test drive. I don't think my buddy did anything wrong testdriving the Stang. It was an automatic so it's not like he overreved it or missed a gear, I believe there was something wrong with that car and they were hiding it.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Guess one has to see for themselves yet have an issue with a test driver hammering on my car

If they break it its on YOU not them as you gave consent

Trying to sell my Camino....may give a ride but no test drives going to be hard to pull off.

If its meant to be youre gut will tell you. Yes it will be a good deal just dont blow it by offending them. Once I get super lowballed once I will not deal with them again.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Guess one has to see for themselves yet have an issue with a test driver hammering on my car

If they break it its on YOU not them as you gave consent

Trying to sell my Camino....may give a ride but no test drives going to be hard to pull off.

If its meant to be youre gut will tell you. Yes it will be a good deal just dont blow it by offending them. Once I get super lowballed once I will not deal with them again.
I would be ok driving normal to feel the steering and then having the owner drive and demonstrate the 0-70 test.

Get notified of new replies

To Tirekicking-buyers vs sellers

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Been waiting all winter and have two more months just to see the car. It's a 92 and sounds like one of those 'your not going to find a nicer one'. 46,000 miles, family car since new. He's asking $9.5k. If it's really as mint as I think, I may offer him $9k. Then again, I may just offer him what he wants. No low balling. Like you said, he knows what he has and he's offering it to me for a fair price. I'm sure if I offered him $8k, that would be the end of it.
After winter, you really have less leverage. It is before winter that you have the most leverage. I have seen a lot of "mint" condition cars in pictures only to find out that it is not as nice as the pictures or the seller makes it out to be. I usually see what you can get for trade in and retail or PP and work something.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Seller cant complain about that
Had someone test drive my Silverado awhile back thought I was a good judge of character. Thought things were pretty clear about "test driving"

First thing he did is floor it everywhere jumped a curb and kept going
"Just wanted to see how fast an LSx was I like the truck but really dont want to buy anything". Heavy azz vehicle with 180k He lived.

Little over a mo ago. It has had a bad knock for a few weeks, oil full of bearing material its on me I let him drive it. Just sayin
Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

What difference does cash make? So a seller can't wait a couple day's for a bank draft?
A whole lot. Give me a couple of hours and I can produce you a bunch of bank drafts. Some people have taken them and deposited them. Bank calls a couple weeks later and says "The draft is not honored. You owe us $5000.".

Also, understand this. While I am getting the bank draft, if something better comes along, oh well. Guess I am going the other way. See you later.

Quick Reply: Tirekicking-buyers vs sellers