1985 Auto won't start. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:14 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

85 stock are bosch.

did u check all the injectors for the light?

something isnt adding up.

on my 85, i had a "weak" coil. it gave a weak spark most of the time. i removed the dizzy, bench tested it, and it was clearly weak compres to a second coil i bought which ended up fixing the issue.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
85 stock are bosch.

did u check all the injectors for the light?

something isnt adding up.

on my 85, i had a "weak" coil. it gave a weak spark most of the time. i removed the dizzy, bench tested it, and it was clearly weak compres to a second coil i bought which ended up fixing the issue.
Maybe. Not sure hence the picture. Still, they would be cruddy from the years of soaking in fuel. Either way I'd go for a reman set or have it tested.

I don't know about the case but why remove to test? Couldn't he just run a new plug on all cylinder and see the flame color? Probably can't check the wires to see if it leaks though.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
rick I M
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was raining again yesterday so wasn't able to work on the vette. I'll try again this weekend. I might start with the fuel pump because it's cheaper than the injectors.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rick I M
Was raining again yesterday so wasn't able to work on the vette. I'll try again this weekend. I might start with the fuel pump because it's cheaper than the injectors.
Start with diagnostic procedures. It will be cheaper than throwing parts at it.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
rick I M
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
Start with diagnostic procedures. It will be cheaper than throwing parts at it.
I'll still check the rest of the pulses first. Is there another way to test the injectors besides the noid test? What about the ohm test u mentioned before?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

exactly. dont be a parts swapper. fuel pum can quite easily be tested with a 20$ fuel pressure gauge.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:23 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

here is how i tested my SPARK as it is sent out by my dizzy.

THIS TEST is how i figured my coil was shot.

i did the test with my dizzy because i thought my spark plug had a weak spark. symptoms were that the car wouldnt start.

the fisrt test produced a faint spark about half the time and no spark the other half. then i swapped the coil.

and i got this nice blue ish snappy spark as shown in this video.

https://youtu.be/rc9b0prqzKs

Old 03-06-2017, 02:26 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

if you want to test AND clean your injectors (these were for my 85) here is what i did. watch sixty five fords.

i showed my injectors were fine, they didnt leak when i applied pressure.

https://youtu.be/tskGLn0qp0I

Old 03-06-2017, 02:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I'll still check the rest of the pulses first. Is there another way to test the injectors besides the noid test? What about the ohm test u mentioned before?
Sure. While you have them unplugged you can run the DVOM across the injector terminals and understand that it is a cheap test and is worth what you paid for it. A proper test demands a removal and put on a flow bench. If it has proper resistance, it means that your coils are not shorted out. I can cut off the bottom of the injector and it will still ohm out right. I never use it for anything. I send mine out.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

https://youtu.be/iQGHbA_ZdxM

This is a proper test that eliminates the guessing game. You can see the spray pattern and volume under proper constant pressure. It isn't as low cost as the "test" above but it is more precise when you are ready to do it right and stop trying to find a cheap way to do things and it may be cheaper in the long run. Good stuff doesn't have to be cheap and usually isn't. Cheap stuff isn't good once everything is figured out.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:27 PM
rick I M
Heel & Toe

I think the coil is good since it caught as soon as I sprayed some starting fluid in there. I have 37psi at the rail, but only tested that 1 connector with the noid light. Seems like I have injector problems. Ill still check the other connwction, though. Since these are so old i think it might be worth it to just change them. I plan on holding onto this car for a while. It's the same car I rode in as a kid in the 90s and the same car that made me fall in love with corvettes. Got some sentimental value.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I think the coil is good since it caught as soon as I sprayed some starting fluid in there.

I have 37psi at the rail, but only tested that 1 connector with the noid light.

Seems like I have injector problems. Ill still check the other connwction, though. Since these are so old i think it might be worth it to just change them.
I don't know. Ether has different properties. IIRC it has a lower autoiginition temperature so it could make up for a weak coil or bad cap or bad wires. How old is the cap and rotor? At the end of a season, I have boogers hanging off the towers on the inside. I have a small cap and it is easier to dump every year. You can't check the plug wires as easily without it running. You seem to be trying to jump to conclusions instead of trying to form an opinion. Be careful. You might spend more time and money that way.

IDK. Is that the right fuel pressure? Does it hold well? Obviously you haven't tried the WOT run to see if it can keep up with demand.

They are old enough and probably crudded so I'd get some reman ones from FIC. https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...fuel-rail-seal

Disclaimer. Just a happy customer. I don't get a commission so.... I have brought my injectors to my buddy with a flow bench to test. I noted the results before I sent it to him. I have tested it when it comes back and my numbers kinda look similar so I know he is doing what he says he is doing and not fudging numbers. I have checked more than once so, take it FWIW.

Last edited by aklim; 03-06-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i cant get away from your dizzy. personally i think the issue is somehow related to the arcing that you knew went on inside your dizzy.

my belief is that your issue has stemmed from that. so either simething in your dizzy is faulty, (that would mean the spark you saw must be weak because you say you saw a spark) or, something else connected in with the dizzy woring got fried. (ecm?)

you have fuel pressure

the lights are flashing.

what if the electrical arcing caused the coils in injectors to fry? the signal is getting theough to the plug (the noid light is flashing) but the injector is pooched internally? idk, grasping.

if you "ohm test" and the reading are totally off, then u know you need new injectors.

aks point about ohm test is that even if they do ohm test that doesnt mean they cant be plugged or gummed up.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 PM
rick I M
Heel & Toe

$190!!! No core? O my god that's cheap. I'll order those tonight. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, I think it's a good idea. If it does cool, if not I'll keep looking.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 PM
rick I M
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i cant get away from your dizzy. personally i think the issue is somehow related to the arcing that you knew went on inside your dizzy.

my belief is that your issue has stemmed from that. so either simething in your dizzy is faulty, (that would mean the spark you saw must be weak because you say you saw a spark) or, something else connected in with the dizzy woring got fried. (ecm?)

you have fuel pressure

the lights are flashing.

what if the electrical arcing caused the coils in injectors to fry? the signal is getting theough to the plug (the noid light is flashing) but the injector is pooched internally? idk, grasping.

if you "ohm test" and the reading are totally off, then u know you need new injectors.

aks point about ohm test is that even if they do ohm test that doesnt mean they cant be plugged or gummed up.
I was thinking it might be 2 separate things that happened at the same time which is making troubleshooting more confusing. The arcing had never been a problem. New coil and good to go. Did it a few times on the side of the road in a few minutes. Always started, although, would run pretty rough. Maybe the injectors went out while I was also having the arcing issue?
Old 07-22-2017, 05:43 PM
rick I M
Heel & Toe

I was thinking it might be 2 separate things that happened at the same time which is making troubleshooting more confusing. The arcing had never been a problem. New coil and good to go. Did it a few times on the side of the road in a few minutes. Always started, although, would run pretty rough. Maybe the injectors went out while I was also having the arcing issue?
it's been a long time but I thought id post a reply in case it could help someone else. I'm pretty sure the reason it wouldn't start in the first place was the ignition issue. Since it took a few weeks to fix that, the car sat the entire time. Right before this i had just put about 15gal of fuel in. I know my system was tight because it would hiss when I took the fuel cap off. After replacing the injectors I went to the fuel pump and sending unit. I'm pretty sure there was water in that gas because the fuel was pretty orange. It wouldn't start because the filter was completely clogged. In the middle of changing out the tank, sending unit, pump, filter and cleaning out all the lines. I'm pretty sure it will work after this. Holy Jesus, a fuel tank change in this car is not fun. Wanted to say thanks for all the help everyone!

Quick Reply: 1985 Auto won't start. Ideas?