C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Selling my 96 Collectors Edition Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
thegreenenergyguy
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling my 96 Collectors Edition Convertible

Hi all. I am selling my 96 Collectors Edition Convertible. Great car, 2nd owner, excellent condition, 42000 miles. I am having some issues pricing it correctly. I am asking $16,500 which I believe is priced right given what I have seen. Any thoughts?
Attached Images      
Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by thegreenenergyguy
Hi all. I am selling my 96 Collectors Edition Convertible. Great car, 2nd owner, excellent condition, 42000 miles. I am having some issues pricing it correctly. I am asking $16,500 which I believe is priced right given what I have seen. Any thoughts?
beautiful car dont sell. you will miss it.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-03-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Hi,

According to Corvette DNA - you have it priced exactly where it should be if its truly in EXCELLENT condition...

Tough market for C4s over $10k - $12k...but your car is worth every penny your asking... I hope you get it cause your Vette is beautiful.

FYI - when you post it for sale - don't forget to include some interior shots of the dash and seats...that's important to perspective buyers.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by Mayor111; 03-03-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It all depends on how fast you want to sell it. If you can wait for the right buyer to come along you might get close to your asking price, but if you need it gone soon you might have to come down some. Very nice car though.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:30 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Looks like an automatic?

I think you are asking a bit of a premium for the low miles, and silver paint from CE. And you may get that from a certain buyer. For a buyer like me, that low of miles is a turn off from mechanical standpoknt, and the CE just makes it silver, which isn't a big deal to me.

That said, I'm also not the sort of buyer for your car, so YMMV. The point I'm getting at though is I don't know how many people out there would pay your premium for those two things. If it was a stick I think that'd change things for me a lot, because then you'd at least get the LT4.

Last edited by FAUEE; 03-03-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

I think you are 'spot on' as an asking price, especially if nothing is needed, like tires (age) or headlight repair, etc... Spring is around the corner and that's 'vert selling season. GLWS!!

Last edited by Atomic6; 03-04-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:45 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I think its a bit high considering there are Verts with half the mileage or less in the same ballpark. jmho
Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

don't understand why some people on this forum continually shoot down the price on a C4. Please, let the prices escalate, for as slowly as they are going up, they at least have started going up!

I believe his asking price at $16,500 is spot on. True, not everyone would be a buyer, but damn, he's got to start somewhere. And yes, from the pics posted, it appears to be in great condition.

If it were a LT4/6-speed I would think it would be worth even more. But you know, manual transmissions are going out of style for the upcoming generation of Corvette buyers.

ps....I'd lower it if it was mine, rear wheels look like they could accept "dubs".
Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That is a very nice looking car, someone will be lucky to own it. I use kelly blue book to value. Good luck with the sale.<br/>
Old 03-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
don't understand why some people on this forum continually shoot down the price on a C4. Please, let the prices escalate, for as slowly as they are going up, they at least have started going up!

I believe his asking price at $16,500 is spot on. True, not everyone would be a buyer, but damn, he's got to start somewhere. And yes, from the pics posted, it appears to be in great condition.

If it were a LT4/6-speed I would think it would be worth even more. But you know, manual transmissions are going out of style for the upcoming generation of Corvette buyers.

ps....I'd lower it if it was mine, rear wheels look like they could accept "dubs".
I've found this attitude of 'putting down' values very common on many car forums. It isn't just here on this Corvette site. I have no explanation for it but it's quite true. I owned an air cooled 993 911 and was ridiculed on the Porsche site for suggesting KBB values were way too low and that a sweet 993 model with 40,000 or so miles should easily sell in excess of $30,000. This was about 4 years ago. Now try to find one for under $40,000 that has low miles and in good condition.
It was the same with a BMW forum and even my current Trans Am forum. I wonder if some owners can't understand the HUGE difference in pricing from a lower mileage 1 or 2 owner garage kept car with a maintenance history, compared to a higher mileage 5-6 owner car parked outside with no hstory. Even KBB doesn't factor pricing when it comes to ownership. Their pricing equates a one owner with a 5 owner. No difference, just 'condition'. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Not when I buy cars anyway. KBB is a useful tool in pricing, no doubt about it, but there are so many other factors to consider.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Honestly, you have it priced for a serious Vette owner or collector. Nothing at all wrong with that, just keep in mind it's going to take some time for the right buyer to come calling. If you don't mind sitting on it for awhile keep it priced where it's at. If you are wanting to move it rather quickly you will have to come down. The reason I say that is because newer model Corvettes prices are falling. My mother in law just picked up a black 6 speed C5 with 30k miles for $13,000. The C4 is a niche market IMO. It's still on the same pattern it has been for years as a buyers market not a sellers. Regardless, you have a very nice example.

Last edited by Not4spd; 03-05-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:44 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ps op next time you go to the tire shop don't let em put the balancing weights on the outside of your wheels, if they aren't careful they can scratch them doing that.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

no forum is going to change the values is it that important? I can see the "want" I suppose just sayin

Try ebay, see what comes up. Let it sit for a few weeks, go from there you can always come down. Youll always get the guy who wants it for 5k cause everythings wrong with it you know the type

You are competing with much newer cars but the guy who wants exactly what you have wont care; its a silver CE convertible or nothing the ones who say "but I can get this for xx" isnt a buyer anyway. May get 16 may get 10 just have to get it out there. Get lots of good pics, solid factual info avoid "selling a dream with fluff" type ads it turns people off I think. Not enough info is just as bad.

Last edited by cv67; 03-05-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Atomic6
Pro

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
Ps op next time you go to the tire shop don't let em put the balancing weights on the outside of your wheels, if they aren't careful they can scratch them doing that.
Man, you have that right. I noticed the same thing.
The prior owner of my own car must have gone to the zoo to have the tires mounted. Chipped and scratched in several places, and it's not curb rash. So unnecessary I'll be getting my wheels re-finished shortly once the weather gets better. I went through one summer with them but it bugs me knowing that it's there, even though most would never notice.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
Being honest isn't shooting down C4 prices. I've recently passed on two really nice C5's in the $10k range. Sinking C5 prices are a big part of what is currently dictating C4 prices.

I don't think anyone's opinion here is going to sway C4 prices up or down.

I look at C4-C6 cars in my area all the time. I see what sells, what doesn't and what languishes on dealer's lots and homeowner's driveways for month on end.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

C5 prices don't affect C4s as much as everyone who isn't actually buying cars say they do. They're different cars in feel, most people looking for a c4 won't really care for a c5, they're very different cars.

There are a lot of people who like to look at Corvettes, say they're looking and wanting to buy but waiting for the right one, and will never ever buy one. I don't know if it's a game for them, or they just don't have the realistic ability, or they genuinely think someone with an untitled GS with no miles will be "desperate to sell" and give it to them for 5000 bucks. It's common on all generations of this board though, plenty of people expecting to see a nice low mile c6z or c6 gs for 20k. Nut jobs the whole lot of them...
Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

'll be getting my wheels re-finished shortly once the weather gets better.
If the flaws are barely noticeable and you are seriously selling save the $ unless you really think it takes away from the car. Looks great as is nothing is perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Selling my 96 Collectors Edition Convertible

Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
C5 prices don't affect C4s as much as everyone who isn't actually buying cars say they do. They're different cars in feel, most people looking for a c4 won't really care for a c5, they're very different cars.
They are different cars in feel I'll give you that, but someone who is looking for a Corvette, especially if they are a first time buyer aren't looking for C4's. And if they are, it's mainly due to the prices which makes it a good entry Corvette. C4's can be hard to find at dealerships, even dealers that specialize in selling Corvettes. And it's not because they are selling faster than they can put them on the floor.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Maybe not to the enthusiast that knows what they are looking for and want.

I don't believe that to be majority of buyers for C4's and C5's. I believe majority are folks that just want a Corvette. They are going to buy the nicest, newest one that fits their budget. They don't much care which generation of Corvette they are buying.

They are not going to buy a $16k '96 when they can buy an '02 with similar miles and condition for $10k. For most that simply makes good financial sense for a vehicle that will most likely only be driven on the weekends.

Not to say there isn't a buyer for the $16k '96 just that those buyers are few and far between.

Currently the price of C5's does dictate the value of C4's.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Atomic6
Pro

There are a lot of people who like to look at Corvettes, say they're looking and wanting to buy but waiting for the right one, and will never ever buy one. I don't know if it's a game for them, or they just don't have the realistic ability, or they genuinely think someone with an untitled GS with no miles will be "desperate to sell" and give it to them for 5000 bucks. It's common on all generations of this board though, plenty of people expecting to see a nice low mile c6z or c6 gs for 20k. Nut jobs the whole lot of them...
Very true. A guy in my car club has a C5 and actually has zero interest in mine. I could have bought a C5 but I don't want one. Different animal. Way too similar, including LS1 engine, to my Trans Am. Different crowds buying different Corvette models for different reasons. You want a sweet one or two owner sub 40,000 miles C4, yes you will be paying C5 prices, but that's what the buyer wants.

Quick Reply: Selling my 96 Collectors Edition Convertible