Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How does the C4 windshield weatherstrip work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How does the C4 windshield weatherstrip work?

This sounds like a joke but I'm serious as over the years I've replaced probably 5 windshield/A pillar weatherstrips and every time I do (I did another today) I wonder how the windshield weatherstrip works.

There's that little front flap, the main body of the weatherstrip that's in the retainer clip and then the rear flap but the front flap isn't form-fitting so it keeps out water when the roof is in place and it's raining so where does the water that collects under the front flap go? Is there a path for collected water on either side of the windshield?

Many thanks for reading and helping me understand. John
Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I am about to change that weatherstripping myself on my 1994. Any tips on what to do or not do to make this attempt successful?
Old 03-12-2017, 05:41 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
I am about to change that weatherstripping myself on my 1994. Any tips on what to do or not do to make this attempt successful?
There seem to be two points on which most folks agree: If it works for you don't buy the cheapest weatherstrip. Second, plan the project for a time when you won't be rushed. Some posters claim to finish in less than an hour which I find hard to believe; I would plan on three hours to a full day as sometimes the retainer clip needs a lot of cleaning and sometimes it's bent almost closed and needs some adjusting.

The largest controversy seems to be whether to use adhesive and I've followed the school that doesn't use it as my weatherstrip has always fit so tight it doesn't seem to need any adhesive. Plus no adhesive makes it easier to adjust or later replace (and with 225k miles replacement is just another maintenance item).

Last is whether to ask someone to help. There are many instances when a second pair of hands makes a difference but both you and the helper need a lot of patience. Many a time I've said to myself "This can't fit" and 15 minutes later after tugging and pushing it's a perfect fit.

Thanks for asking. Hope these help. John
Old 03-12-2017, 05:46 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

pretty sure there are some well documented youtube vids as well.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:56 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
pretty sure there are some well documented youtube vids as well.
VikingTrad3r is right; I was giving you my personal pointers. A good youtube how to do it is at
. John
Old 03-12-2017, 07:45 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have weatherstripping from Wilcox. I had my car painted last week and the body shop replaced the weatherstripping on the doors and rear hatch. All that's left is the A pillar and the piece on the back side of the seats, not sure what it's called. Replacement looks straight forward but I find its never as easy as it looks and always say to myself I should have done it this way instead. I dont plan on using adhesive. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
I have weatherstripping from Wilcox. I had my car painted last week and the body shop replaced the weatherstripping on the doors and rear hatch. All that's left is the A pillar and the piece on the back side of the seats, not sure what it's called. Replacement looks straight forward but I find its never as easy as it looks and always say to myself I should have done it this way instead. I dont plan on using adhesive. Thanks for the advice.
With no adhesive you can keep trying until you're happy. Good luck and keep us posted. John

Get notified of new replies

To How does the C4 windshield weatherstrip work?

Quick Reply: How does the C4 windshield weatherstrip work?