C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New hood cable locks 1 side

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default New hood cable locks 1 side

I installed a new hood release cable on my 90 coupe and have adjusted every way I can. The drivers side will not stay locked. I have run out of adjustment to get it to stay locked. The passenger side locks and opens fine.
This may be a dumb question but is there a right and left side to the cable?

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by clovergamecock
I installed a new hood release cable on my 90 coupe and have adjusted every way I can. The drivers side will not stay locked. I have run out of adjustment to get it to stay locked. The passenger side locks and opens fine.
This may be a dumb question but is there a right and left side to the cable?

Any other suggestions?
If it will not lock it, it would be because the cable is too tight, try routing it at a better angle and get some slack. If it wont open it would be too loose I hear of cables being bought that are not exact size that is why I am holding off on buying one.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's pretty obvious which side goes where. Left is short, right is long. Yours does have different lengths, doesn't it?

If it won't stay latched, you may have to lower the bump-stop, which is located just above the latch. You should have just a small amount of play when the hood is down, when you push down on the hood.

Do your latch levers need lubrication? You can remove the latch bracket for access to the pivot mechanism, then replace the latch without any additional adjustments needed!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

I will try the reroute and bumper start adjustment. I lubricated the top of the latch including the slide. If the stops and reroute do not work, I will pull the latches.

It is snowing here in Clover SC!! It never snows here in March!!! It barely snows here anytime!! Hopefully it melts quick and I can get on it.

Thanks for the info!
Wade

Get notified of new replies

To New hood cable locks 1 side

Quick Reply: New hood cable locks 1 side