C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why even have the corvette or any car for that matter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Why even have the corvette or any car for that matter

I am trying to write this and be respectful of how and why people own cars that are nothing but a part of the household furniture. antique furniture at that. I will give you an example of antique furniture or housewares. My wife has antique furniture that we use. I have to walk on egg shells when I use it. " don't close the drawers too hard she yells, its an antique". Or " easy on that skillet, it was my grandmothers".
So I tell her the same thing that I apply to my cars, why own it and use it and walk on egg shells while doing it ? If you want to admire it and do not want anything to happen to it, put it on a shelve and walk away.
Now I do watch how I do things, and I do take care of the things I own, but I will drive my corvettes like I stole them and I will drive my old truck like it was made to drive, over anything it can.

I guess somebody posted how they drive their corvette about 30 miles a year abuse it in a manner that you shouldn't even do to a daily driver, then ask a question about maintenance. kinda rubbed me to a point of "what did you just say"

Last edited by scrappy76; 03-14-2017 at 05:44 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-14-2017, 06:11 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Me, too. I look down and I was doin' 160 yesterday.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Interesting you mention 'antique' furniture in your comparison. I have a side business repairing and restoring furniture. Most things I see that users call 'antique' is actually 'old' furniture IMO. It may have some personal connection like it was made or owned by some family member but that does not make an 'antique'. It does not have significant historical value to anyone other than to that family.

Whether it's a car or a wardrobe, value is determined by the market place. Just because you want something to appreciate in value does not mean it will happen. Letting a piece of furniture degrade because it has little to no finish on it is a crime. Same thing with a car, letting it fall into disrepair because someone thinks it will appreciate in value some time is just as foolish.

Whether a piece of furniture or a car, they need to be used to maintain the unit. Obviously if it is abused they will die much sooner. Maintained they will last a lifetime. You need to determine what level of use is appropriate and not be afraid to use something. If it's a true antique, then that's another story and I have worked on a few of those too but that's another story.

An example is I found a serpentine front dresser. Looked reasonable but took a massive amount of repairs which I did and became a present for the Granddaughter. It wasn't worth a lot commercially but it is to her and me. I view my Vette the same way, it may not be worth a lot to someone else but it is to me. Both are used and appreciated for what they are.
Attached Images   

Last edited by hcbph; 03-14-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:41 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

OP, I know what U mean.

Couple years ago, there was a thread on one of the ZR-1 forums, asking how many owners had hit the 7100 rpm fuel cut-off rev limiter? I was shocked then and still rolling my eyes to remember that ~ 60% of ZR-1 drivers not only never hit the limiter, but seldom got into the 6000s! SAY WHAT???

Corvettes were made to run and have fun! They're not designed to be putted around like grandma's old Buick (or what ever).

A local Corvette (Chevy) dealer held an all Corvette gathering at a local autobahn club. One of the attractions was to do some "spirited" parade laps around the track.

Well I got behind this C7 dude that never got above 35 mph and even then he was breaking at every curve! I mean, WTF is he doing in a Corvette???

That guy in the C7 and those 60%'ers come to mind whenever Corvette drivers gather and judge this or that Corvette's "value" by how many peak hp (or ft # of torque) they make. F'n WAXERS are CLUELESS!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
" easy on that skillet, it was my grandmothers".
I never go near my wife's skillets, that's just asking for trouble......
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Well I got behind this C7 dude that never got above 35 mph and even then he was breaking at every curve! I mean, WTF is he doing in a Corvette???
Well you only need money to buy a C7, no driving skill required, they are probably just happy to be able to look like they can drive fast.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

It is not easy having a civil discussion with a garage queen owner when yours is a D.D. Totally different mindset.

As fun as it was driving with the group on MR4, it certainly wasn't about speed. Not even through Deal's Gap. I was riding my brakes and wearing a ZR-1 as a hood ornament all the way through.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 AM
scuba717
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the majority of corvette or sports car owners in general they are toys and we all play with our "toys" differently! No right or wrong way. If you want to flog it go for it. If you want to watch it age in your garage great. Just enjoy it and appreciate the fact you had the good fortune to have some toys to play with. If it's your DD maintain it!
The following users liked this post:
mike48750 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I feel sorry for some of them.

Driving the Corvettes are what is fun about them.

If I wanted to only putz around and use the cruise control, there are a lot of other cars.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 AM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by scuba717
For the majority of corvette or sports car owners in general they are toys and we all play with our "toys" differently! No right or wrong way. If you want to flog it go for it. If you want to watch it age in your garage great. Just enjoy it and appreciate the fact you had the good fortune to have some toys to play with. If it's your DD maintain it!
Well put.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess I don't see bouncing off the rev limiter as a good thing. Not on the street anyway.

Last edited by RIC96; 03-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe folks you speak of are saving their car for later. A current year car that looks new does not impress anyone, after all anybody can go down the the local dealer and pick one up. Nothing special about that since they're all over the place. Now suppose you bought one of the first Z06's years ago and drove it very sparingly since then, say only 2 or 3 thousand miles. You'd be in a class of your own today since you'll still have a practically unobtainable nearly new original Z06 unlike most of the existing ones of that year currently out there. The drive it like they stole it guys would not be able to own anything like it.

This reminds me of a repo Z06 I saw parked behind the bank once. Current year production with four bald tires, rubber all gone with cords showing and metal on metal brakes with four deeply scored rotors. Probably burned through it like an amusement park ride without making any payments.

A point on driving like you stole it: there is no victory lane on the street.

Last edited by Greg Gore; 03-14-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by convas
Well you only need money to buy a C7, no driving skill required, they are probably just happy to be able to look like they can drive fast.
Good to know C4 buyers don't have that issue. I have seen everything from C2 and up with that issue. My advice is get a killer stereo, pump in the engine noises and park it in the garage. No need to insure it for the road or spend money on gas. Turn it on and you get the engine sound you want.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
Maybe folks you speak of are saving their car for later.

A current year car that looks new does not impress anyone, after all anybody can go down the the local dealer and pick one up. Nothing special about that since they're all over the place. Now suppose you bought one of the first Z06's years ago and drove it very sparingly since then, say only 2 or 3 thousand miles. You'd be in a class of your own today since you'll still have a practically unobtainable nearly new original Z06 unlike most of the existing ones of that year currently out there. The drive it like they stole it guys would not be able to own anything like it.

This reminds me of a repo Z06 I saw parked behind the bank once. Current year production with four bald tires, rubber all gone with cords showing and metal on metal brakes with four deeply scored rotors. Probably burned through it like an amusement park ride without making any payments.

A point on driving like you stole it: there is no victory lane on the street.
Like when? When you are old and unable to enjoy it? Isn't it similar to not banging your girlfriend to keep her kitty tight for the next guy?

I'm sure it impresses nobody. That is why people buy new cars. To impress nobody. Unless it is a classic that is worth huge money, my 100K car is going to be more impressive to the clowns there than your 10K car. Maybe not to certain people but most people, which is why I don't want to talk to them about my car, don't know anything and $100K is better than $10K.

Every look at repossessed houses? They seem to be the same way. At least the seller wants to get max dollar so he might do superficial things like a car wash or even a wax job. Doing proper maintenance with high end fluids? Hardly likely. Before I turn it over, I wouldn't bother to do maintenance.

If you are looking for a victory lane, you will need to spend much more money and much more practice time if you even want a small chance at it. I drive my MB sedans and I drive it hard (relatively) but not like I stole it because it isn't capable of the performance. So, why would I want a car to look at, go "Oooh. Ahhh."?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Like when? When you are old and unable to enjoy it? Isn't it similar to not banging your girlfriend to keep her kitty tight for the next guy?

I'm sure it impresses nobody. That is why people buy new cars. To impress nobody. Unless it is a classic that is worth huge money, my 100K car is going to be more impressive to the clowns there than your 10K car. Maybe not to certain people but most people, which is why I don't want to talk to them about my car, don't know anything and $100K is better than $10K.

Every look at repossessed houses? They seem to be the same way. At least the seller wants to get max dollar so he might do superficial things like a car wash or even a wax job. Doing proper maintenance with high end fluids? Hardly likely. Before I turn it over, I wouldn't bother to do maintenance.

If you are looking for a victory lane, you will need to spend much more money and much more practice time if you even want a small chance at it. I drive my MB sedans and I drive it hard (relatively) but not like I stole it because it isn't capable of the performance. So, why would I want a car to look at, go "Oooh. Ahhh."?
So you're an MB enthusiast, congrats! I just brought home a new BMW 550i M-Sport. Little less than yours sounds like, mine stickered at $80,140.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

So you're an MB enthusiast, congrats!

I just brought home a new BMW 550i M-Sport. Little less than yours sounds like, mine stickered at $80,140.
I like the MB lines because I hear less of "NLA" or "OBSOLETE. Furthermore I have a fully qualified MB tech that helps me out for $50 and hour so it is more apt to say I am a fan of a "cheaper and easier to maintain" car.

Way more than mine. Sure, it stickered for 90 some in 04. Guess what? Some other sucker paid the depreciation. I bought it for way less and by the time I got everything running and up to spec, it is about retail price of the car. Like I said, I pull up with my 04 W220 S500 and you pull up with a 17 W222 AMG S65 and who do you think will turn more heads? If you are into turning heads, which car would you choose?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Why even have the corvette or any car for that matter

Old 03-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

I like the MB lines because I hear less of "NLA" or "OBSOLETE. Furthermore I have a fully qualified MB tech that helps me out for $50 and hour so it is more apt to say I am a fan of a "cheaper and easier to maintain" car.

Way more than mine. Sure, it stickered for 90 some in 04. Guess what? Some other sucker paid the depreciation. I bought it for way less and by the time I got everything running and up to spec, it is about retail price of the car. Like I said, I pull up with my 04 W220 S500 and you pull up with a 17 W222 AMG S65 and who do you think will turn more heads? If you are into turning heads, which car would you choose?
I'd say the S65 because probably very few have seen one. I'm not into turning heads though, I'm more into impressing myself with the quality of a nice car.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I'd say the S65 because probably very few have seen one. I'm not into turning heads though, I'm more into impressing myself with the quality of a nice car.
EXACTLY. Here is my point. IF you want me to impress you, Pu$$y or $$. I impress someone if I am trying to get into her pants or they are writing me a paycheck. Beyond that, I could care less if you are impressed with my car. In fact, I prefer you NOT. Please, don't come talking about how you like my car unless you know more than I do about it since I want to learn. If all you can say is "looks good" or "sounds good", you are wasting my time and pissing me off having to say the obligatory "thank you". I welcome a discussion so we both can learn something.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

EXACTLY. Here is my point. IF you want me to impress you, Pu$$y or $$. I impress someone if I am trying to get into her pants or they are writing me a paycheck. Beyond that, I could care less if you are impressed with my car. In fact, I prefer you NOT. Please, don't come talking about how you like my car unless you know more than I do about it since I want to learn. If all you can say is "looks good" or "sounds good", you are wasting my time and pissing me off having to say the obligatory "thank you". I welcome a discussion so we both can learn something.
I can agree with that, In fact well stated!

Quick Reply: Why even have the corvette or any car for that matter