C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Any starter removal tips? '94 LT1 A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:37 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Any starter removal tips? '94 LT1 A4

Gonna be pulling the starter since I've had an intermittent no-start and suspect the solenoid contacts (which I'm replacing along with plunger).

Got any tips for getting it out of there without breaking anything? Not hard to get to from beneath, just not sure exactly what I should be disconnecting and maneuvering, and what could make the job easier.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

It's very easy. Get it up on jack stands, get under it, super easy to get to and remove.

FWIW, my intermittent start issues was the trigger wire oxidizing and needing replaced.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

book says remove exhaust,not needed with a good set of flex wrenches, also look into the compact starters...just as mush power and easier.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I havnt changed a starter since 70S but it I think it would be a good idea to disconnect the positive battery cable from battery.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Gonna be pulling the starter since I've had an intermittenqt no-start and suspect the solenoid contacts (which I'm replacing along with plunger).

Got any tips for getting it out of there without breaking anything? Not hard to get to from beneath, just not sure exactly what I should be disconnecting and maneuvering, and what could make the job easier.
I rebuilt my starter a few months ago. I recall removing the knock sensor shield to get better access to the starter.
Not a difficult job.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsy
I havnt changed a starter since 70S but it I think it would be a good idea to disconnect the positive battery cable from battery.
Personally, nothing wrong with disconnecting the positive cable, but I'd disconnect the negative first. Less chance of arcing or shorting something out by accident. My opinion.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Doesn't the 94 already have a Denso gear reduction "compact starter"? I know my 88 had one. Maybe they went to the planetary-reduction Delco "250" by 94?

Does anyone know the hierarchy of what starters were used in push-rod engine C4?
10MT and then 'denso The PG250 never in a C4

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-21-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default starter

Gonna be pulling the starter since I've had an intermittent no-start and suspect the solenoid contacts (which I'm replacing along with plunger).

I replaced the plunger and contacts on my 94 a few years ago. FROM MEMORY------ Disconnect the battery cables because the big red wire to the starter is always hot. The starter comes off kinda easy because only 2 bolts(maybe 3?) hold it on. The knock sensor is in the way and I did not want to mess with it . I may have loosened the wire to it or something, but i did not remove it . If your very careful you can maneuver the starter around it, but when you remove the last bolt beware that the starter is heavy. When you put the new plunger and 2 big contacts back in, adjust the 2 big contacts to touch the plunger at THE SAME TIME. This is not too difficult a job and you feel good when completed. The starter is a good one made by Denso so keep it. I bought the solenoid repair kit for about $12.00 on Amazon. The kit is ND-34SOL if want to see what the parts look like. The kit has 2 extra contacts that may or may not fit. Good luck. Get back to me if any questions.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Personally, nothing wrong with disconnecting the positive cable, but I'd disconnect the negative first. Less chance of arcing or shorting something out by accident. My opinion.
always disconnects negative first
Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey guys, did the job yesterday before reading any of this and it worked like a charm. Before it was taking 3-6 key turns before it would fire up (usually just clicking, occasional whine), now it fires up every time on the first crank. Just replaced the contacts and plunger (these were in rough shape), as well as cleaned it up (looks like-new now).

Job didn't need anything other than a few different ratchets and extensions.

My experience was pretty simple and went like this:
-Disconnect negative battery terminal
-Jack up vehicle on stands
-Disconnect both pos and neg terminals on the starter (two different sized nuts, both metric)
-Remove knock sensor shield to make wiggle room (two nuts)
-Using extensions, loosen starter-to-block bolts (15mm by my recollection). Make sure to keep a hand under the starter as its heavier than it looks.
-Slide the starter out with a little maneuvering.

Could be different on other MY's, but this was pretty straightforward. The starter to block bolts took some thumping to come loose with my 1/2" ratchet. No need to remove the knock sensor electrical connector as the shield removal made enough room.

Always satisfying when a job goes like this, and for a mere $14.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, did the job yesterday before reading any of this and it worked like a charm. Before it was taking 3-6 key turns before it would fire up (usually just clicking, occasional whine), now it fires up every time on the first crank. Just replaced the contacts and plunger (these were in rough shape), as well as cleaned it up (looks like-new now).

Job didn't need anything other than a few different ratchets and extensions.

My experience was pretty simple and went like this:
-Disconnect negative battery terminal
-Jack up vehicle on stands
-Disconnect both pos and neg terminals on the starter (two different sized nuts, both metric)
-Remove knock sensor shield to make wiggle room (two nuts)
-Using extensions, loosen starter-to-block bolts (15mm by my recollection). Make sure to keep a hand under the starter as its heavier than it looks.
-Slide the starter out with a little maneuvering.

Could be different on other MY's, but this was pretty straightforward. The starter to block bolts took some thumping to come loose with my 1/2" ratchet. No need to remove the knock sensor electrical connector as the shield removal made enough room.

Always satisfying when a job goes like this, and for a mere $14.
good timing for this post.....my starter went out last weekend and I hope to begin taking it out this weekend.....looks like your '94 is Admiral Blue? I have a '94 Admiral Blue as well......lot of fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Any starter removal tips? '94 LT1 A4

Quick Reply: Any starter removal tips? '94 LT1 A4