Would you consider this deal?

2 owner
4+3
64,000 ,miles
light blue
cloth interior
new tires
$6400.

Overall nice paint, very nice interior A/C might need work, aftermarket cd player, clutch replaced 6500 miles on it now

The seller says that the tachometer goes up and down, but the engine does not change rpm. Anyone know what that could be?

I don't think the color is a very desirable choice, but the cloth interior is different. Not a lot of service history, but not many miles driven. Its almost what I've been looking for with the exception of the color, but I can overlook that because the paint/clear it is in good condition.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Clutch replaced on a car with 60k miles? Not a good sign. The light blue looks great on the early c4's, I considered it one of my colors to pick from. The 85 is the first year of the L98, and I know there's some parts that are one year off parts. These are hard to find as far as I know, but other members will chime in.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:21 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Clutch replaced on a car with 60k miles? Not a good sign. The light blue looks great on the early c4's, I considered it one of my colors to pick from. The 85 is the first year of the L98, and I know there's some parts that are one year off parts. These are hard to find as far as I know, but other members will chime in.
I kind of thought the same thing about the clutch, but the current owner has owned for 19 years since the clutch job. Maybe the original owner was one of those that rested his foot on the clutch pedal and wore the throw out bearing prematurely... I dunno... Car looks like it wasn't abused though.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I would consider it a deal but probably not a good deal. I picked up my '84, 4+3, Z51, 36k mile car last spring for $4300. Came with new tires and battery. Needed nothing but a new coolant sensor.

Somewhere between $5-6k would be a good deal.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Cloth interior.....

A 350 cubic inch, 230 horsepower engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, removable body-color roof panel, and cloth seats were included in the base price.

http://www.corvsport.com/1985-c4-corvette/
Old 03-18-2017, 04:03 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with it.

I had an '85 4+3 for about 25 years. Loved it. The only reason I kept it so long was that it was a great car.

However, I had some mods in mind that I thought I would prefer a different car to start with. There are a few things on the '85 that swayed me to another car instead of modding mine. The engine is a flat tappet vs the later roller lifters. It is a two piece main seal vs the later 1 piece. It has the cast iron heads. The TPI intake is limiting to higher rpm power. The engine computer is an early type and is slower. The suspension is the early style with different offset so there are not as many choice for wheels without spacers. The early brakes are smaller (than the J55) and have a rear drum parking brake. The transmission is a 4+3 instead of a later 6 speed. The tops are limited supply used since only used from '84 to '86E. The exhaust has very poor manifolds and the rest of the system is not as good as the LTx exhaust. The window regulators are the slow ribbon type. The AC is freon instead of R134. The hood support is the early scissor type instead of the pressure tube.

Subjective it is the early body and interior vs the later versions. I had the Z51 which is quite stiff, but I liked it and loved the quicker steering ratio.

Like I said to start out, I kept it for 25 years because it was a great car. But I finally sold it and got a '96 LT4 to start off with the different car for mods.

You can't go wrong with your choice of a C4 since they are great cars, just decide what you want to do before jumping at the first car.

Good luck

Last edited by QCVette; 03-18-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2017, 04:39 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by QCVette
It depends on what you want to do with it.

I had an '85 4+3 for about 25 years. Loved it. The only reason I kept it so long was that it was a great car.

However, I had some mods in mind that I thought I would prefer a different car to start with. There are a few things on the '85 that swayed me to another car instead of modding mine. The engine is a flat tappet vs the later roller lifters. It is a two piece main seal vs the later 1 piece. It has the cast iron heads. The TPI intake is limiting to higher rpm power. The engine computer is an early type and is slower. The suspension is the early style with different offset so there are not as many choice for wheels without spacers. The early brakes are smaller (than the J55) and have a rear drum parking brake. The transmission is a 4+3 instead of a later 6 speed. The tops are limited supply used since only used from '84 to '86E. The exhaust has very poor manifolds and the rest of the system is not as good as the LTx exhaust. The window regulators are the slow ribbon type. The AC is freon instead of R134. The hood support is the early scissor type instead of the pressure tube.

Subjective it is the early body and interior vs the later versions. I had the Z51 which is quite stiff, but I liked it and loved the quicker steering ratio.

Like I said to start out, I kept it for 25 years because it was a great car. But I finally sold it and got a '96 LT4 to start off with the different car for mods.

You can't go wrong with your choice of a C4 since they are great cars, just decide what you want to do before jumping at the first car.

Good luck
Ok, lots of info... much appreciated. I'm not sure if you saw my thread from last week. Titled simply "Hello" here in the general section. That will tell you where I'm at with my next purchase. This actually is not the first car I've looked at. This will be the 4th... only one in person however was an 86 from this past weekend. 55k miles, but looked like 95k miles... I spoke to the guy on the phone on this one today and he is an older guy like myself which I guess gives me piece of mind. The fact that hes had it the last 19 years is also a good thing to me. Im really just looking for a weekend cruiser, no mods planned.. just a reliable fun car to carve up some of the local mountain roads here in Colorado.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Cloth interior.....

A 350 cubic inch, 230 horsepower engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, removable body-color roof panel, and cloth seats were included in the base price.

http://www.corvsport.com/1985-c4-corvette/
Still seems like most of them have leather.... this was kind of different to me.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:58 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Still seems like most of them have leather.... this was kind of different to me.
Cloth interior looks surprisingly good. Branden just got that w his new 89.

You should consider an 89. Old body design but 6 speed. Man that 6 speed is too nice
Old 03-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jay23ls

You should consider an 89. Old body design but 6 speed. Man that 6 speed is too nice

Doesn't the 89 still have the breadbox glove and Atari dash?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jay23ls

I agree... I've had several ZF's.... Money/budget is a factor and the 84,5 & 6's are least expensive..... I am a realist and realize I cant have everything on my wish list.... which is ok.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:05 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Doesn't the 89 still have the breadbox glove and Atari dash?
Yes.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Yes.

I'm struggling with the 89's and earlier due to the retro looking dash. Still in shopping mode for my very 1st Vette. The waiting is trying as the 92 that I have my eye on can't be taken out of storage until the 1st of May. What do they say about people who wait?

"Good things come to those who wait"

Now if I can find one (1990-1996) that exceeds the 92 and is under $10k, I will take a lookie.

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 03-18-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

I'm struggling with the 89's and earlier due to the retro looking dash. Still in shopping mode for my very 1st Vette. The waiting is trying as the 92 that I have my eye on can't be taken out of storage until the 1st of May. What do they say about people who wait?

"Good things come to those who wait"

Now if I can find one (1990-1996) that exceeds the 92 and is under $10k, I will take a lookie.
Yea, I know the dash gets allot of grief.... same as the 4+3 and the 84 model year.... blah, blah, blah! After having 7 Vettes, at this point not having one for 2 years is just like missing a limb or something. Of the C3, C4;s and 2 C5's Ive owned, the C4's were the most fun to drive overall. My ZR-1 was a hoot.... wish I didnt have to sell that one. Now, Im just looking for a clean, good looking C4 to shine, engine detail, tinker with and just drive.... bone stock is just fine with me.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Yea, I know the dash gets allot of grief.... same as the 4+3 and the 84 model year.... blah, blah, blah! After having 7 Vettes, at this point not having one for 2 years is just like missing a limb or something. Of the C3, C4;s and 2 C5's Ive owned, the C4's were the most fun to drive overall. My ZR-1 was a hoot.... wish I didnt have to sell that one. Now, Im just looking for a clean, good looking C4 to shine, engine detail, tinker with and just drive.... bone stock is just fine with me.

Good to hear you like the C4's. I sure like the 'cockpit' and there seats. Test drove a 98 C5 and thought the drivers seat was tilted like a recliner? Not impressed.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

I kinda have my eye on an yellow 89, but this 92 has only 46,000 miles and owned by a fanatic with a asking price of $9.5k.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Sounds like a nice car. I'm not a big 4+3 guy, but it sounds like a nice car for the money.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Purchase

Old 03-18-2017, 07:12 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Sounds like a nice car. I'm not a big 4+3 guy, but it sounds like a nice car for the money.
Are there inherent issues with the Doug Nash?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:36 PM
JWMorrisey
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes there are inherent issues.

These units are forgotten and not serviced properly. This leads to early failures. Parts are getting very hard to find and they are expensive to rebuild.

However, rebuilding is less expensive that converting to a Tremec unit.

Jonathan.....
Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JWMorrisey
Yes there are inherent issues.

These units are forgotten and not serviced properly. This leads to early failures. Parts are getting very hard to find and they are expensive to rebuild.

However, rebuilding is less expensive that converting to a Tremec unit.

Jonathan.....

Doing a little research and it seems the 84 & early 85 are the problem transmissions.... figures, the 85 Im looking at has a manufacture date of 02/85..... well, I guess the search goes on....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on Purchase