Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Does the B.S. ever stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Your high idle could be your TB gasket too. It's really easy to nick it up during TB install.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:49 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Any chance you can get a scanner hooked up to it. Check the iac counts, and see if your coolant reading is basically the same as the outside temp before you start it. It would help eliminate a couple potential problems.

Gary
Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I removed the throttle body and cleaned it when I swapped optis. The old gasket was to tuff for a gasket scraper so I used a razor blade then a wire wheel on a dremel. All the old gasket was removed from both surfaces and a new gasket used. I used two cans of throttle body cleaner searching for a vacuum leak around the throttle body and vacuum lines. I also replaced the TPS because the old one was cracked and I replaced the IAC and vacuum lines going to the throttle body just to have all new parts on the throttle body.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:03 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

I used a scanner when the engine was at 185. I got 4 or 5 on the IAC count and the scanner was giving the same temp that was on the dash. The throttle blades are closed all the way and the throttle cable has a tad bit of flex so I know the cable isn't holding anything open.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Well, everyone here knows I can sympathize. Times two, since my wife had to have one also. It really is a love/hate relationship.

Similar time frame too. I'm about 19 months into ownership of a very clean, low mileage '96 daily driver. Hers is a '95 that has been in the garage for the better part of a year. It's running again, but needs more. Always more.

I've never been a mechanic by trade, but since my first car in '73 I have worked on them all. This has been the most challenging car I've ever wrenched. By a country mile.

I fix what I can and live with what I can't - for now. The urge to post to CL gets stronger with each fail. When I sell it, I will drive off into the sunset in my '94 Miata with a smile and a raised middle finger.

Owned my favorite model Corvette? Check. Visited NCM? Check. Driven hot laps at NCM Motorsports Park? Check. Tail of the Dragon? Check. Alrighty then.

So to answer your question, HELL NO. It never stops. I feel your pain, brother. It's not a car, it's a job. You just have to ask yourself how much do you love driving that Corvette when it actually runs?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Stop whining

I sincerely hope you are just venting your frustration. With all the automotive experience youve had you should be able to cope. There is nothing like a new car with a warranty but there's also nothing like driving ng a true sports/touring/muscle car. The c4 offers all this at a great price but it comes with a penalty or 2. First is age, next up its a production line Chevy, its loaded with novel technology, and finally most of them have seen some form of neglect in their life. I hope you will get on with it and enjoy your Corvette for what it is.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

One cannot really appreciate how truly wonderful a Corvette is and how inexpensive the service and parts (and their availability) are until you have owned a old foreign sports car.

Trust me on this!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 PM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

You're fine to call your Vette a POS. Maybe it is. Maybe you bought it thinking it was in better condition than it was.

Either way, all the older sports cars I thought about getting instead of the C4 also came with a list of potential problems + guaranteed problems at some point. There are some pretty new ones that have pretty big issues too like the 370Z overheating and the engine power being chocked off so it can still run. Older Porsches and their IMS issue, e46 M3s and their Vanos, subframe and rod bearing issues. Aint easy to get a nice looking true sports car today w/o issues. These brand new cars aint true sports cars IMO

Gluck w the fixes. If its too much sell it and buy another in better shape. Will be well worth it

Last edited by jay23ls; 03-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:08 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
Thanks for the responses.

First I would like to say that a few are butt hurt that I called this car a P.O.S. but I call it the way I see it.
This response shows me you can't take the criticism. Sell the car then.

I wouldn't say butthurt, only trying to defend the Corvette's name from delusional people who clearly don't know what a major problem is.

Also I'll bet you're one of those people who say a car is junk because the brakes wear out all the time and you should never have to change them...

Alright the last part was a joke but you would be amazed at the amount of people who think brakes should last forever OR they are clearly a lead foot driver and claim the car is junk because they slam on the brakes all the time and that leads to F'ed up rotors which they have to replace all the time.

I have no sympathy, these are all fairly minor issues you are going crazy over. What happens when your window regulator eventually breaks or your Bose radio/speaker amps crap out(assuming you have a bose radio), or you need to replace the rear u-joints on the half shafts? You might want to prepare yourself for a heart attack as there WILL be more items that need attention. The fact that you are talking about how the 23 year old Corvette is a POS compared to a car you bought brand new is insane. Just assuming as you said you buy new.

Ok, let's say they your wifes car is a great car, it made it to 350k without any MAJOR issues right? Great! Your wifes car is not 23 years old either is it? It is A LOT easier to get to 350k with parts that are maybe 5 years old compared to parts that are 20+ years old. Comparing the two is ridiculous and shows you are really trying to grab at nothing to get something to support your claim that the car is a POS.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

You spent your money, not mine or anyone elses on buying the car. Call it every name in the book if it makes you feel better. No judgement from me lol I had a very clean 94 give me fits before this car and I called it every name in the book. Still loved it though. That's why I bought another.

Last edited by Natrlone93; 03-28-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

v8vette your an idiot and that's being nice. I have no words to respond to someone with no reading comprehension so I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I get tired of fixing things too.. and then I drive it and all is right in the world.

Even tho mine is for sale, I feel the EXACT same way.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Had a dry ride home and the misfire wasn't as bad. Since its worse in wet weather than dry weather I'm thinking plug wires. I happen to already have plugs and wires in my shop waiting to be put in so I'll do that this weekend.

I did run the car in my shop last night in complete darkness and didn't see any arcing. Still going to change plugs and wires since it needs doing anyway and it will eliminate those if it doesn't fix the problem.

Last edited by 94corvetteC4; 03-28-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

What I learned with my car, sometimes it takes a while for it to throw a code. When it happens, I follow the diagnostic for said code, and usually am back on the road. I've heard of people with bad coils have funky problems in wet weather. Not saying it's your problem, but I would keep it in consideration.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 PM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

v8vette your an idiot and that's being nice. I have no words to respond to someone with no reading comprehension so I'll leave it at that.
Dick
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought i was rough on people.

This thread delivers!

Get notified of new replies

To Does the B.S. ever stop

Old 03-28-2017, 09:19 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I'm kind of surprised at all the bad luck alot of you have had. I've had 7 Vettes and not once did one of them strand me. My approach to working on any car really, (that I care about) is to consider what part of the car system youre working on.... So if youre in there doing a water pump, you check all associated items. T-stat, all hoses, coolant condition, radiator, fans... everything that you can access related to the cooling system. Now the caveat to the LT1, in this case is that now the Opti, plugs & wires become part of the water pump change... so it can get frustrating...
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Then in October the Opti took a dump so I fixed it. Get the car running with the opti swap and I have a high idle, 850rpm, that I cant seem to resolve. Then in November the power antenna ribbon broke.
The fast Idle happening when the Opt was changed easily could be related. It is possible that your new Opti (what kind?) could have the timing off. You could have created a vacuum leak in the replacement process, or the new Opti could have a problem.

Last edited by Scooter94; 03-28-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Let me tell you about my first car, a '59 Vette. At age 18 I had not assembled enough of a tool kit, nor gained enough experience, to do anything but the most basic things. So I had to have work done by gas stations and dealers.

I had the tranny rebuilt. The rear end rebuilt. The radio fixed. New carpets. King pins. Rear brakes. Muffler. And more. EVERY week it seemed it was $omething - and the car was only about 8 years old.

I sold that and got a '67. And about a year later I ran into the guy I sold it to and asked him what work he had needed since he bought it. He said it was a very reliable car, and the whole time, he had only had to replace the generator. I had done it all the rest for him.

Moral of the story is that if you fix something right, that should be the last time you have to fix it for many years to come. Every step you take, your car gets better and regains some of its original reliability. Take the bad with the good and accept that repairs are part of the experience. In time, you will wind up with a much better car than you start with.
The following users liked this post:
the kid C6 (03-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Does the B.S. ever stop