Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

people that think your rich bc you have a 93 c4 corvette

Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

people that think your rich bc you have a 93 c4 corvette

Old 04-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Geronimo555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the C4 days it seemed like every GM employee had a Vette, I guess in the end it depends how we define rich.

I wouldn't call a performance car a value, but I would call a Vette a "value performance" car.

The fact that they depreciate means even I might have a chance at owning one. God knows my discount doesn't do any good these days...
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

Received 225 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Geronimo555 View Post
uuum, no the point is the Vette is the "value" performance car... I mean that is what is is supposed to be, AFFORDABLE to "non-rich" people.

"poor mans" was always the term used in the area to describe the Corvette, a play on its position in the market, I apologize if I upset your sensibilities.

The Detroit area is flooded with them being home to a lot of GM facilities.

I'm not a vette guy, but I have tried all different cars. Mustang= poor mans sports car. Cheap to buy, fix and race.

Corvette comes with a price at any age foe=r those things.

Viper, vette, mustang. In that order.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Nokones
CF Senior Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

My 93 is a Ruby and it still looks like a brand new Ruby. No, it is not a garage queen. It has 70,000 miles on it and I have more than one Corvette so my pleasure driving gets spread out over the other Corvettes.

My Corvettes were not daily drivers when I commuted to work. I had other grocery getters and a work take home car at my disposal.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Mr. Peabody
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76 View Post
Have a guy at work that was actually talking **** behind my back wondering how I could a afford my 94 corvette. I just laughed and ignored it. Then 2 months later after I changed the sawblades wheels to some polished lip replica gs wheels I got on craigslist used, he walked up to me and said to me " it must be nice to be able to have a corvette, and be able to get fancy wheels for it". I just giggled and said to him, " your going to give me **** about my $5,000 dollar car and my $200 craigslist wheels, then hop in your $40,000 dollar rubicon and drive home. He didn't know what to say.
Winner
Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM
jay23ls
CF Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook View Post
I use it for an opportunity to explain to people how affordable the C4's are, especially younger folks.

The more people that we can get involved with these cars, the more potential there is to keep the parts in the pipeline.

It might not take that day, but if you poke an idea into someone's head, sometimes it just keeps going there until they have to go buy one.
Thats a good idea but young ppl dont see cars as they used to. Just read the other day kids are waiting longer to get their DL or permit. Instead of 16 or 17 waiting until almost 18 or mid 18 something like that.

There's going to be luxury hotel rooms on wheels driving everyone around in decades fellas. Lets enjoy what we have!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 PM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts

Anytime someone comments on my car, I try to mention that these cars are relatively cheap performance with great bang for the buck. Makes me seem smart and frugal at the same time... so I'm no longer "the rich guy."

My old roommate thought my 1995 coupe was worth $50,000 (yes I quote). LOL
Sure my car is cherry but it's also bone stock, worth maybe $9500 at the very most.
He didn't know cars at all so I can't really blame him, but I can laugh at him
Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Received 843 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls View Post
Thats a good idea but young ppl dont see cars as they used to. Just read the other day kids are waiting longer to get their DL or permit. Instead of 16 or 17 waiting until almost 18 or mid 18 something like that.

There's going to be luxury hotel rooms on wheels driving everyone around in decades fellas. Lets enjoy what we have!
Could it be that I don't need a car to get around in the city as much as the rural areas? IDK.

Depending on the reason, maybe it is good. I'm going to work. The traffic sucks. Not going to really be able to enjoy the drive. Might as well be in comfort. My C4 may get 15 mpg .Why burn gas to go to work? My MB got 33 mpg cruising and I drove 70 minutes to and from. Why would I want to drive the C4 daily? Why pay more if you can't enjoy it? Going to work, I'm trying to make time and preparing for the day, going home, I'm tired. Now it's better because I work from home.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:44 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Anytime someone comments on my car, I try to mention that these cars are relatively cheap performance with great bang for the buck. Makes me seem smart and frugal at the same time... so I'm no longer "the rich guy."

My old roommate thought my 1995 coupe was worth $50,000 (yes I quote). LOL
Sure my car is cherry but it's also bone stock, worth maybe $9500 at the very most.
He didn't know cars at all so I can't really blame him, but I can laugh at him
Most of the time the comments are stupid enough so why bother? What can I do with the idiots who only knows "looks cool" or "sounds powerful", at nauseum? If that is the best you can do, I don't think you are worth the obligatory "thank you" I am forced to give by social convention.

I'll be glad to sell him my C4 for $40000 and it even makes 420 RWHP and get myself a C6.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Railroadman
CF Senior Member

Received 607 Likes on 398 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-19

If anybody makes remarks like that to me, I'll tell him "Be here tomorrow with $10,000 cash and I'll sign it over to you on the spot!"
Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 AM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Most of the time the comments are stupid enough so why bother? What can I do with the idiots who only knows "looks cool" or "sounds powerful", at nauseum? If that is the best you can do, I don't think you are worth the obligatory "thank you" I am forced to give by social convention.

I'll be glad to sell him my C4 for $40000 and it even makes 420 RWHP and get myself a C6.
Ignorant people are still people. I might not want to get into a long conversation with them, but there should be some basic level of decency. This "idiot" paying you a compliment on your car, OK maybe they don't know much about these cars, but it's possible they could be very knowledgeable about languages or culinary arts, or something else that *we* might not understand. But they are an idiot because they said something nice about your car? You have the wrong attitude.

How about I say to the local barista, "this coffee tastes good" but he says nothing and thinks I'm an idiot because maybe I don't know about organic coffee bean farming or advanced roasting techniques? All I did was pay him a compliment. WTF snob
The following users liked this post:
95tealconvert (03-03-2019)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:25 AM
TorchTarga94
CF Senior Member

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Diz,

You've succeeded once again. You stirred the living bajesus out of this pot.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Ignorant people are still people. I might not want to get into a long conversation with them, but there should be some basic level of decency. This "idiot" paying you a compliment on your car, OK maybe they don't know much about these cars, but it's possible they could be very knowledgeable about languages or culinary arts, or something else that *we* might not understand. But they are an idiot because they said something nice about your car? You have the wrong attitude.

How about I say to the local barista, "this coffee tastes good" but he says nothing and thinks I'm an idiot because maybe I don't know about organic coffee bean farming or advanced roasting techniques? All I did was pay him a compliment. WTF snob
Most of the time, it seems to be a segue to a conversation and ends up in "The Fast and Furious" world. Lower suspension till it sits an inch above the ground although we don't know why it is being done. Can the exhaust be made louder and more choppy because that was how it was done. Do they make spinner wheels or neon lights. Can a big exhaust tip be put on. It got old for me. And while your batista gets tips if you are happy with the coffee, I don't get tips towards the car. If the complement leads to a conversion about anything besides the F&F World, as a rule, I'd be more than happy to converse with them. Unfortunately for me, most of the time it does NOT, hence my irritation.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Nokones
CF Senior Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Personally, I don't mind if someone comes up and asks about any of my Corvettes. I be glad to talk to them and I do enjoy educating them. I'm very proud of my Corvettes.

Last edited by Nokones; 04-06-2017 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (03-04-2019)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nokones View Post
Personally, I don't mind if someone comes up and asks about any of my Corvettes. I be glad to talk to them and I do enjoy educating them. I'm very proud of my Corvettes.
I'm not much of a teacher, actually, a very poor one so it is a royal pain for me to teach. When it comes to guns or archery, I farmed that job out to others when the wife showed interest in trying them out. I tried teaching her driving eons ago and the marriage was touch and go at that point. So, it requires a very motivated student and for me to be very motivated. If her nickname is "my cup runneth over" or "tightest kitty in the west", we may be able to come up with a lesson plan. So far, they have all been guys so that is one strike against them. Next thing is they really are interested in F&F stuff so that kinda kills it for me. They have no previous knowledge of fast cars other than what looks fast. That is why their comments get old and fast. Now if a guy wants to trade info or even discuss say what I did and how he can achieve it, I'd definitely be into it. However, the percentage of such people are so low it is kinda like going to a gay nightclub to find a horny and good looking girl looking for a guy.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Cool Runnings
CF Senior Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents View Post
Only a fool would say "you must be rich" or they are poking fun...One or the other

Why do you say that?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Natrlone93
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones View Post

I'm always down to talk about cars with anybody. I don't care if they don't really know anything about cars if they want to talk cars it's all good.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:10 PM
maddogwyatt
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
how many of you guys get annoyed when someone makes a 'must be nice'-type comment when they see or hear that you have a c4 corvette?

im not sure if my c4 looks newer to them than it is, but IMHO its a $10,000 car at most and probably less bc i have it modified with a supercharger.

someone will pull up in a 65k new diesel jacked up dualie pickup truck and claim that my job must be going really well for me to be able to afford that......
From a slightly different angle, over here in the "good old UK", people seem to like our car simply because it's pretty and rare, and are happy to come over and talk. We often say that if we'd spent 4 or 5 times as much on a Porsche or similar, everyone would hate us!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:25 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Natrlone93 View Post
I'm always down to talk about cars with anybody. I don't care if they don't really know anything about cars if they want to talk cars it's all good.
Talk to enough ricers and your attitude might change. Mind did.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Geronimo555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Define ricer?

I could show you any subgroup of "car guys" and find you some less than desirable people.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:53 PM
thegame
CF Senior Member

Received 330 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Talk to enough ricers and your attitude might change. Mind did.
Yo man, I live my life 1 quarter mile at a time. Also later do you want to jack some truckers and drive our cars under them?

Hit me up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: people that think your rich bc you have a 93 c4 corvette

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: