C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

harmonic balancer 95 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:26 PM
madkins
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harmonic balancer 95 corvette

how do I know if vibration is due to harmonic balancer.
Thank you for any help.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by madkins
how do I know if vibration is due to harmonic balancer.
Thank you for any help.
I'd start by taking off the serpentine belt, crank the car and watch the crank pulley to see if it wobbles. That said I've never had one go bad on an LT1 motor....Buick and Chevy 3.8's yes but it's a different design.

There are 6 bolts ( might be 8, I don't remember ) that fasten the pulley to the crank flange ? ....9/16's

later, tiny
Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
I'd start by taking off the serpentine belt, crank the car and watch the crank pulley to see if it wobbles. That said I've never had one go bad on an LT1 motor....Buick and Chevy 3.8's yes but it's a different design.

There are 6 bolts ( might be 8, I don't remember ) that fasten the pulley to the crank flange ? ....9/16's

later, tiny
There are 3 bolts that hold the balancer pulley to the crank hub. Make sure they are tight.

Also make sure the rubber ring sandwiched between the inner and outer parts of the balancer hasn't let go. This would allow the outer pulley to move around - in and out and also slip on the inner part of the hub.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it an automatic or standard?

The reason I ask is: it's easier to tell if an HB issue on an automatic. when you cold start the vibration is usually at it's worst... Usually, because the Rubber is harder until it heats... But the way I have been able to tell on other cars, and a 94 vette that had a bad one, is Put your foot on Brake and put it in drive or reverse...does not matter, ... When an automatic transmission is engaged it puts more of the crankshaft load onto the torque converter, thus reducing the vibration to almost nill...

On a standard, you pretty mutch are guessing with 1800Wing's instructions... The main pulley will be wobbling. If it get's bad enough it will cause the belt to walk forward and create a bunch of havoc. If the car has been sitting for a while and the rubber has not been flexing and just hardening from sitting You may want to consider just replacing it for peace of mind...
Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This isn't a C4 harmonica balancer but you'll get the idea. On my car the rubber on the backside started going bad first. Check both sides.

Stay away from the aftermarket units. They can create problems and they really don't do anything for your car. Unless - You have a $50,000 race engine.

Richard Newton
Harmonic Balancers 101

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer 95 corvette

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer 95 corvette