C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone else on here do this with their ICM

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Flir peek

I checked the spot with my FLIR cam after the drive home from work.

Pretty obvious that the factory mounting location is not helping.

The PO did you a big favor there, Scrappy!

Attached Images   

Last edited by Renfield; 04-29-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:18 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Confirms what I suspected. Working as an engineer you realize that a lot of things aren't logical but come from practical reasons like time and money. I can see the meeting in my mind where management wants to attach the ICM to the engine block and all the engineers start muttering swears under their breath.

This basically explains everything:
Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by haxxx
Confirms what I suspected. Working as an engineer you realize that a lot of things aren't logical but come from practical reasons like time and money. I can see the meeting in my mind where management wants to attach the ICM to the engine block and all the engineers start muttering swears under their breath.

This basically explains everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
This is my 20 years in the car business
Old 01-27-2019, 10:16 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Default Bump

So, Scrappy, are you close to 10K miles yet? There's interest in your mod again, so I wanted to ventilate this thread a bit.

Anyone else give it a try?

DrCook - We're actually discussing this mod in another thread, so it's not a true zombie.

Last edited by Renfield; 01-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:53 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Renfield
So, Scrappy, are you close to 10K miles yet? There's interest in your mod again, so I wanted to ventilate this thread a bit.

Anyone else give it a try?

DrCook - We're actually discussing this mod in another thread, so it's not a true zombie.
DR = David R, most just call me Dave. The zombie threads were accidents. Not on purpose. Solely because folks got drug into and accidently posted on an old thread by the software features :-) Don't make it into anything that it wasn't.

For the record, I read the old threads that are brought back on purpose. New discoveries, new knowledge, new techniques are learned when it was brought back for a reason.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned about mounting the ICM to a plate before moving it. With that thought in mind, you can purchase additional heatsinks, from places such as this:

https://www.heatsinkusa.com/home/

or places like computer stores

https://www.microcenter.com/search/s...Ntt=heat+sinks

and add them to the aluminum plate, making it much more effective.

this is a mod I am actually going to look into

Last edited by drcook; 01-27-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

last summer my tuner suggested that i relocate my icm and coil to a cooler pace, which i did. i mounted it to a piece of aluminum and then mounted that to my cross bar, right behind the radiator fans. when they come on, the airflow is great and no engine heat to soak up.

>

>
Old 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
DR = David R, most just call me Dave. The zombie threads were accidents. Not on purpose. Solely because folks got drug into and accidently posted on an old thread by the software features :-) Don't make it into anything that it wasn't.

For the record, I read the old threads that are brought back on purpose. New discoveries, new knowledge, new techniques are learned when it was brought back for a reason.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned about mounting the ICM to a plate before moving it. With that thought in mind, you can purchase additional heatsinks, from places such as this:

https://www.heatsinkusa.com/home/

or places like computer stores

https://www.microcenter.com/search/s...Ntt=heat+sinks

and add them to the aluminum plate, making it much more effective.

this is a mod I am actually going to look into
Boy....and all this time I thought you were a Dr....

I know way back in the day when I was a mechanic, we moved a number of things off the block or heads. Modules, coils, whatever vibration and heat may effect, if the design would allow. We always figured the builders jammed it all together for assembly purposes.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 PM
drcook
Safety Car

It all goes back in time to when I worked in Goodyear Aerospace's defense plant. My security badge said "DR Cook" of course. That got me lots of laughs.

Another friend name was Richard A Novak. When he put his name in computer programs as the author, of course he put it a:

Ranovak

That reads very computerish.

GM had an issue with a controller on their prior gen diesels. (prior to the Duramax). They mounted a critical component where it would get heat soaked and fail long before its design life. The fix was to move it. That was all it took and then they started lasting as long as they should have. In the Duramax's, the 2nd'ary battery is mounted in the passenger side rear of the engine compartment. At least up through the 2006's (after that I have no direct knowledge) due to the way the fan spun, the heat would concentrate in the right rear and shorten the life of that battery. I put functional hood vents in my fenders and you can feel the air being forced out. As a test, I fastened some teflon tape to the vents. The tape on the right rear would blow out horizontal at idle from the released pressure. This mod also helped with the overheating issue that was designed into the truck.

Last edited by drcook; 01-28-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:45 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
It all goes back in time to when I worked in Goodyear Aerospace's defense plant. My security badge said "DR Cook" of course. That got me lots of laughs.

Another friend name was Richard A Novak. When he put his name in computer programs as the author, of course he put it a:

Ranovak

That reads very computerish.

GM had an issue with a controller on their prior gen diesels. (prior to the Duramax). They mounted a critical component where it would get heat soaked and fail long before its design life. The fix was to move it. That was all it took and then they started lasting as long as they should have. In the Duramax's, the 2nd'ary battery is mounted in the passenger side rear of the engine compartment. At least up through the 2006's (after that I have no direct knowledge) due to the way the fan spun, the heat would concentrate in the right rear and shorten the life of that battery. I put functional hood vents in my fenders and you can feel the air being forced out. As a test, I fastened some teflon tape to the vents. The tape on the right rear would blow out horizontal at idle from the released pressure. This mod also helped with the overheating issue that was designed into the truck.
where can I read more about this? I just replaced the batteries in my duramax for the second time last summer. They were just about 5 years old, so I guess I got my money out of them.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I used nylon washers under the aluminum heat sink to the steel bracket and also on bracket to head. I can't recall, but used studs to mount the bracket as something else uses it, I think power steering ??? To cold to go look!
Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM
drcook
Safety Car

where can I read more about this? I just replaced the batteries in my duramax for the second time last summer. They were just about 5 years old, so I guess I got my money out of them.
It was touched on over on the Duramax forums. No one ever could pin anything down, but if you feel that back right hand side battery after driving for a while, you will find that area is quite hot. My vents also help with my intake air temps. Once I start moving, the IAT's drop to outside air temps because I have an 06 air intake retrofitted to my truck and it pulls from inside the fender.

The vents are not specifically made for this, it was an adaption. If you are interested about this or the forums, we can take this off the forum and talk about it. If you want, PM me your email address.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Are these ICMs known to fail? I mean, is this a real issue? Did I miss the memo?
Never heard of any significant problems here, although the relocation is probably a good idea anyway (if done properly).
Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by DGXR
Are these ICMs known to fail? I mean, is this a real issue? Did I miss the memo?
Never heard of any significant problems here, although the relocation is probably a good idea anyway (if done properly).
How significant a problem do you need to consider a simple mod?

The peeling Dulso on the console isn't an issue that will strand you like a dead ICM, but there are plenty of threads describing how to fix it.

Quick Reply: Anyone else on here do this with their ICM