Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

what i say to the people who boast about how much less they paid for their c4....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default what i say to the people who boast about how much less they paid for their c4....

theres always the guy that either:
'buys it cheaper than everyone else'
-or-
'can get the job done cheaper than you'

so heres what i have to say to mr-i-am-better-than-you-because-i-bought-it-cheaper...

i bought my 26k miles 93 convertible c4 6 spd in 2000 for $20500......

that was 17 years ago. i was 22 years old. a few girlfriends and now my wife have been my co pilots over the years. Fun times / top down drive in movies / drag races / road races / etc - but thats all priceless and i cant really quantify any of that.
lets say ive put 12500 in mods and repairs into it since then.

so now i have 33000 into it.

so divide 33000/17. roughly $2000 a year ownership costs.

the newb who claims he paid 6000 (so he says more likely they paid 8k) for the vaunted 96 lt4 in mint shape (so he says) needs to keep the car for > 3 years before they beat my ownership costs.

or there is the newb with the lt1 car they claim they bought for $2000 that is just a disaster....who knows how many thousands in repairs it needs.

is the newb going to figure out all the bugs of the c4 (like the optispark) and own it for a significant time period? or not? i am guessing most will not. i see usernames come and go.

i have no plan on NCRS or barrett-jackson

just enjoy it with my wife.

i would say i got a good deal
The following users liked this post:
vettpapaw (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I say who gives a rat about what someone else says? Unless you solicit their opinion, why worry about it? If you're happy with your vehicle and decision, nothing else matters.

I bought an 86, it's not a show car and never will be. It was modded before I bought it and I've done a few more changes since. It's mine, I like it and drive it - I don't care what others think. If they complement it, I'll take it. If they don't, I'll ignore it.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:49 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Not many true fans of the Corvette look at ownership costs. If this was important to them, they'd own a Corolla.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

What I would tell them is that they spent XXXX extra amount of hours digging for that car that cost them maybe a few hundred or a couple thousand less while I was working some extra hrs, hanging out w/ a beautiful girl, working out staying fit and basically just enjoying life!

Who really got the best deal?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree with ya dizwiz24. I also look at the long term costs. I thought I would get killed buying my T/A 'vert new (sticker $33k) but here it is 16 years later and I'm also near that $2k per year average, even if the car was worth zero! It isn't (see attached photo taken at a show 2 weeks ago). I really haven't bought anything for it except tires, batteries, the normal maintenance stuff. $2k a year to own it has been a pleasure and I still have no plans to sell. My Mustang (also bought new) is soon approaching that nice average too. My Corvette is the unknown since I just bought it last year.
Attachment 48084136

Last edited by Atomic6; 11-06-2020 at 07:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DaleDawg (04-17-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by NC96CE
I agree with ya dizwiz24. I also look at the long term costs. I thought I would get killed buying my T/A 'vert new (sticker $33k) but here it is 16 years later and I'm also near that $2k per year average, even if the car was worth zero! It isn't (see attached photo taken at a show 2 weeks ago). I really haven't bought anything for it except tires, batteries, the normal maintenance stuff. $2k a year to own it has been a pleasure and I still have no plans to sell. My Mustang (also bought new) is soon approaching that nice average too. My Corvette is the unknown since I just bought it last year.
Attachment 48084136
buddy of mine bought a midnight blue 98 or 99 t/a ? brand new. 6spd with lsx motor. paid all cash at age 22 (he saved money from engineering co-op jobs while in college).

we (and he especially) had a lot of good times with that car. on a sidenote he was a phenomenal runner in college.

being that age and having that car was priceless
Old 04-16-2017, 07:46 AM
RobnLisa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never look at what someone else pays. I have a 95 Bright Aqua that I paid double what the dealership gave a friend on trade in. I wanted it, that's that. Bought a 94 Copper Metallic 2 weeks ago that I feel I stole, guy didn't know what he had. Doesn't matter what we pay. All that matters is how much you want it. JM2C
Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 AM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
the newb who claims he paid 6000 (so he says more likely they paid 8k) for the vaunted 96 lt4 in mint shape (so he says) needs to keep the car for > 3 years before they beat my ownership costs.

I'm just sitting here wondering if you're talking about me?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Plus there is always another one less expensive, in better shape etc that will show up next week.

Sometimes folks are just sharing their good fortune, but as you say, there is always the Ricardo Cabeza that is trying to one up everyone. We have one of them locally. Most folks catch onto those games pretty quick.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

buddy of mine bought a midnight blue 98 or 99 t/a ? brand new. 6spd with lsx motor. paid all cash at age 22 (he saved money from engineering co-op jobs while in college).

we (and he especially) had a lot of good times with that car. on a sidenote he was a phenomenal runner in college.

being that age and having that car was priceless
That's impressive at that age.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

" Cost is in the absence of value"

Always remember that in whatever you purchase regardless if it's a home, investment, car, toaster whatever!

I've had my C4 since 2001 and C3 since 2004. The memories I have with two Vettes are priceless with my kids be it driving them to school, sporting events etc. Just yesterday my daughter needed to be picked up at school where she was hanging out with her friends. She's my youngest (15) and what car did she request? The 88 Vette.

Pulling up with it her friends thought it was pretty cool that her old man has a pretty sharp ride.

Never look at what you spend....look at what you get out of what you bought. I can't put a dollar value on these memories. My two boys will one day probably get my Vettes and they can do the same with their families.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not trying to one up anyone, however for what it is worth and that ain't much, I paid $5800, hi mileage third owner. I have spent about $500 on things that I wanted and what it needed. I love it. It was in my budget.

One thing I dislike is the Vette owners who believe that they are some type of elitist and that I shouldn't own one if I don't have a four car garage and 6k sq ft house I should not own one.

Last edited by Komiller118; 04-16-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

spend as much or as little as you want OP.

who's keeping score anyways?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:42 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't believe I bought a starting, running, going, and stopping Corvette for 4.5K plus it's a convertible. So I guess I would say, "are you having as much fun as I'm having?" Driving a Corvette is priceless!

WEK
Old 04-17-2017, 02:10 AM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, flip side. I paid 16,250 for a 36k mile 91 zr1 4-5 years ago. I sure hope ownership cost is less than 2k. It better be worth more than 8k today.....

That said, why do you care what people think of you and your favorite chevy?

props OP for the ownership longevity
Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I just like the cars.

I have had a few that the cost of ownership was pretty high and some that were almost nothing. (I even made money on a C5 I had for about 5 years) I have bought some that were new and others that were high mileage.

Unless you are buying for a specific purpose, it is simply about having a car that you enjoy whether it is driving, racing, wrenching, waxing, etc.

Yes, I like it when it has a low cost of ownership, or finding a good deal, but that is not the main reason for me to buy one.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

People will find anything to brag about. "Hey guess what, I swapped a starter in 8 minutes." "That guy buried in white smoke can destroy a set of rear tires in 5 minutes." So what. My last girlfriend bragged about banging a **** star 15 years earlier. I guess she was proud of that...? Whatever. Different people have different values I guess.

Among the Corvette crowd, most people are pretty supportive and enjoy the solidarity.
But *some* people, instead of banding together in camaraderie, they will play the 1-upsmanship game so they can feel even more special. And some people play up the bargain/economy game. How thrifty they are. Just another way to feel special, I guess.

Even with luxury items, cost is a consideration for most people. If cost was not a consideration for me, I would have bought a new Stingray 7-speed base. I am doing well but I am not wealthy, so I made an informed decision based on what I want, what I can afford, and what kind of repairs/maintenance I can do myself vs forking out extra cash because of Corvette tax. Also the C4 is a terrific driver's car and I just wanted something to have fun with. This is enough car for me, for now

Get notified of new replies

To what i say to the people who boast about how much less they paid for their c4....

Old 04-17-2017, 02:29 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
People will find anything to brag about. "Hey guess what, I swapped a starter in 8 minutes." "That guy buried in white smoke can destroy a set of rear tires in 5 minutes." So what. My last girlfriend bragged about banging a **** star 15 years earlier. I guess she was proud of that...? Whatever. Different people have different values I guess.

Among the Corvette crowd, most people are pretty supportive and enjoy the solidarity.
But *some* people, instead of banding together in camaraderie, they will play the 1-upsmanship game so they can feel even more special. And some people play up the bargain/economy game. How thrifty they are. Just another way to feel special, I guess.

Even with luxury items, cost is a consideration for most people. If cost was not a consideration for me, I would have bought a new Stingray 7-speed base. I am doing well but I am not wealthy, so I made an informed decision based on what I want, what I can afford, and what kind of repairs/maintenance I can do myself vs forking out extra cash because of Corvette tax. Also the C4 is a terrific driver's car and I just wanted something to have fun with. This is enough car for me, for now
Same here, I wanted a C7 base 7 speed but could afford the C4 haha

C4 has been a very nice surprise though! Didnt really know much about em or had seen them much at all
Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

theres always the guy that either:
'buys it cheaper than everyone else'
-or-
'can get the job done cheaper than you'

so heres what i have to say to mr-i-am-better-than-you-because-i-bought-it-cheaper...
If your "badge of honor" is about who can spend the most on the same item, by all means, celebrate the victory. Here is the question. If I waste, and by waste I mean overpay for an item, I have less to spend on other stuff. So on an allowance of $20 a week, I can buy 10 candy bars at $2 apiece of 5 at $4 apiece. So if I can see someone who can get it cheaper than me, regardless of whether I am envious of his abilities, I'd find it behooves me to put away my pride and see what I can take away from that lesson.

As they say, some people will learn from watching others make mistakes and successes, some will learn when they get burned and some will never learn even when they get burned multiple times.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
What I would tell them is that they spent XXXX extra amount of hours digging for that car that cost them maybe a few hundred or a couple thousand less while I was working some extra hrs, hanging out w/ a beautiful girl, working out staying fit and basically just enjoying life!

Who really got the best deal?
Is this question like asking who got the better deal? The kid that went to college, got his degree and has a super job 10 years with a nice house and all that vs the kid that went out after HS and struggled his way? On odd situations, the HS kid (winning lottery, inheritance, etc). Usually, the college kid.

Quick Reply: what i say to the people who boast about how much less they paid for their c4....