C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Finally Bought a Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
Their shop mechanic called and said they drove the car 15 miles and it never stalled. I said, well, the "service engine soon" light came on when it stalled on me, so there should be a code stored in the computer of the car to give you an idea of what happened.

They said they don't have the proper tool to read the car due to its age (they need a different type of reader?). Supposedly they are going to see if they can find the tool to diagnose the code. That was a few hours ago. I have a feeling they will keep it overnight again tonight.

I am thinking based on research online problems might be:

- Bad fuel pump or something related to fuel delivery
- Bad catalytic converter (the car would not "go" fast enough on an interstate ramp despite flooring it)
- Alternator....?
- Idle speed....?

The car starts great and was running strong before the stalling. I think battery voltage was normal (11-13 volts was readout while driving). The electric components of the car never failed, the car just stopped idling & engine turned off. And wouldn't respond to "flooring it."
It could simply be low on fuel. The gauge is notoriously inaccurate, and the range is worse. My '93 runs out reading 36 miles worth of fuel left!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have considered low fuel or even old/bad fuel as a problem, but wouldn't the car have run out at this point? It has probably been driven 50 miles since the stalling first started.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Any Update? Hope you are out cruising with the top off right now!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

I finally got my car back today!

It was well worth the wait. As agonizing as it was, the dealership took care of it and I'm happy about that. The car needed a new fuel pump and filter replaced. This was determined after ~6 hours of testing the car to reproduce the issues I had (I only had the car 6 hours the day I bought it).

Now the car runs like it's supposed to. And it is AWESOME! I've never driven a V8 before so I'm trying to be good until I learn more about how the car behaves. That said.... passing power on the interstate makes me giddy. This car has a ton of torque from a dead stop. Just so fun.

Tomorrow morning I will have the peeling window tint removed from the glass hatch by Ziebart. I don't think I want to retint at this time. Next up is a thorough hand-washing, weather permitting. I'll update with pics if anybody is interested?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got my car back today!

It was well worth the wait. As agonizing as it was, the dealership took care of it and I'm happy about that. The car needed a new fuel pump and filter replaced. This was determined after ~6 hours of testing the car to reproduce the issues I had (I only had the car 6 hours the day I bought it).

Now the car runs like it's supposed to. And it is AWESOME! I've never driven a V8 before so I'm trying to be good until I learn more about how the car behaves. That said.... passing power on the interstate makes me giddy. This car has a ton of torque from a dead stop. Just so fun.

Tomorrow morning I will have the peeling window tint removed from the glass hatch by Ziebart. I don't think I want to retint at this time. Next up is a thorough hand-washing, weather permitting. I'll update with pics if anybody is interested?
That's great. An easy fix. Lots of fun, had mine out today. Lots of power and a fun car to boot around in.

Post pic's. I'd like to see your new toy.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

That's great. Not to sound rude, with any older car, you should at the least learn how to diagnose. Enjoy your car
Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 AM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you got it back! Post some pics when you have a chance.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I hope you enjoy many miles of smiles...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

sINCE YUOUR NOT FAMILAR with the cars power, do not nail the throttle if you do, you will be looking at the view you just drove thru. I race my 86 at Lucas Oil Drag Strip on Test and Tune wensdays. Rain forecast for this week tho. Its between Brownsburg and Avon, off US 136, just past Clermont heading west. cost 10 to watch, 25 to race, My 86 is gold colored.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 AM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
sINCE YUOUR NOT FAMILAR with the cars power, do not nail the throttle if you do, you will be looking at the view you just drove thru.

Yes, you need to get to know the car first. I almost did that with mine. Went around the corner and thought I'd give it a little gas. Next then I knew, I was looking straight at the people in the lane beside me. Awkward moment lol. Took some time to get use too. 5.0l mustangs can do that, but its nothing like a Corvette.

Last edited by James84vette; 04-25-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
That's great. Not to sound rude, with any older car, you should at the least learn how to diagnose. Enjoy your car

Isn't that what this site is for .

I do agree, google is your friend. Read up and learn.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:46 AM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

I've been too busy out enjoying my new ride to post about it. This will be no garage queen (though I did kick my DD out to the driveway so the Vette will be garaged). I intend to drive and enjoy this car until winter kicks in (or until the next repair ). I want to get alignment checked out, the car can be rattly on interstate speeds. Just kind of jumpy, shaky, etc. Not all the time.

I gave it a wash today and had the peeling rear hatch tint removed by Ziebart. It took them 5 hours to get it off. They said it was really stuck on and only coming off in flakes. I'm glad I didn't bother with it myself. It's going to be pricey to retint the hatch so I will save that for some other time. I lament that the carpet will likely fade as a result of no tint.

The car doesn't seem 100% clean after washing. There are black streaky marks on the paint, I assume from the black band of trim? I was ultra gentle on it so next time I will probably try a little harder to get it cleaner. I think I need something specifically for the wheels. There is some sticky tar-like residue under the passenger door as well that needs attention. My trees kept depositing seeds and pollen all over the car as I washed it. Messy trees..

Regardless, here are some pics.

Name:  mQJPqAd.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  271.8 KB

Name:  kqdLBp0.jpg
Size:  283.4 KB

Name:  ubztWfV.jpg
Size:  277.7 KB
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 AM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Awesome! Love the color combo...then again I am partial.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:12 AM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

As an original owner of an '86 Coupe I can tell you that you are in for some good times. I thought the mechanics and electronics were a bit intimidating at first until I got used to them. Getting a factory service manual helped a lot.
The early C4s are looked down a bit by some Corvette owners, but they are excellent cars even though they are now 30 plus years old. My coupe has close to 90K miles but many are extended interstate miles. You will find your '86 an excellent road car with great seats.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
James84vette
Instructor

Clean looking Vette.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Thanks for your insight, abdo. I have always been drawn to the early C4's. I am glad I wound up with an 86. It has a few more safety features and I imagine some of the kinks were ironed out two years after the C4 redesign. I do wish I had airbags though.

My driver seat is actually messed up (non-power seat). The reclining function isn't working all that well. It wants to "lock" only in an upright position. I've tried fiddling with it to reset the lock mechanism. No luck yet.

The car looks better in my pictures than up-close in person. I wish the paint was a little better. It's been scuffed in a few spots. But, when you're not right up on it, the car does look very nice for its age. Some small and some bigger projects in the future. First things first will probably be the faded hood emblems replaced, front and back.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Thanks for your insight, abdo. I have always been drawn to the early C4's. I am glad I wound up with an 86. It has a few more safety features and I imagine some of the kinks were ironed out two years after the C4 redesign. I do wish I had airbags though.

My driver seat is actually messed up (non-power seat). The reclining function isn't working all that well. It wants to "lock" only in an upright position. I've tried fiddling with it to reset the lock mechanism. No luck yet.

The car looks better in my pictures than up-close in person. I wish the paint was a little better. It's been scuffed in a few spots. But, when you're not right up on it, the car does look very nice for its age. Some small and some bigger projects in the future. First things first will probably be the faded hood emblems replaced, front and back.

Any mods in the near future?

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Bought a Vette...

Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

I just noticed something on my car: the black "bar" of metal that separates the targa top from the hatch glass. Is that supposed to be black? A quick google search and all I see are cars with body color instead of black on that bar. Interesting..

re: mods? Nothing in sight on that end right now. I want to have my exhaust redone, my mufflers are rusting and ugly. I'm mostly focused on making sure it is mechanically very solid. The car is 99.9% original and that's the way I like it.

BUT, my speakers don't sound so good. I would like to have those upgraded and see if I can live with the cassette stereo that came with the car. I don't know whether sound quality depends on speakers, stereo, both equally? I am also interested in eventually upgrading to an LED dash for better colors & visibility.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:35 PM
James84vette
Instructor

I just noticed something on my car: the black "bar" of metal that separates the targa top from the hatch glass. Is that supposed to be black? A quick google search and all I see are cars with body color instead of black on that bar. Interesting..

re: mods? Nothing in sight on that end right now. I want to have my exhaust redone, my mufflers are rusting and ugly. I'm mostly focused on making sure it is mechanically very solid. The car is 99.9% original and that's the way I like it.

BUT, my speakers don't sound so good. I would like to have those upgraded and see if I can live with the cassette stereo that came with the car. I don't know whether sound quality depends on speakers, stereo, both equally? I am also interested in eventually upgrading to an LED dash for better colors & visibility.

Yes, it's important to have it running mechanically sound.

As for your speakers, I have the original speakers in mine and they sound great with the CD/MP3 players set up I have. I'm sure the stereo would have something to do with sound quality.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Mine has an aftermarket 6 CD changer with the CD player itself hidden in the back and a fairly non-descript and stylish control console under the radio...hard to see in this pic (circled for ya), but it works and sounds great

Quick Reply: Finally Bought a Vette...