Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Genssi LED Projector headlights in 85

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Took the car for quick night spin - setting the light break at 40 feet is too low. Tomorrow I'll crank it up some more.

Is there a basic guide for setting up projectors?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Measure the height of the top of the lamps. You don't want your light output to go higher than that because the lights will be pointing up and into the eyes of oncoming vehicles. Set the lights so that the top of the beam pattern is no higher than the measured height.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:43 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

can you show us a picture of the light cutoff at night?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

The car is at Big3Racing now, as soon as I get it back I'll post some pictures for you. The cut-off is very sharp.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 788 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 4me
I don't have this problem? you might wanna try these,I haven't had time to install them,but at this price its worth a shot.Its a simple plug and play install.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lbs/2179/5079/
I bought these. They work perfectly. You buy two but only need one. If anyone needs one PM me. Dan
The following users liked this post:
C5 4me (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
They're great

Look great!

As I understand it, you DID use the SBL load resistors in your installation, yes? If so, where/how are they secured in place?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Look great!

As I understand it, you DID use the SBL load resistors in your installation, yes? If so, where/how are they secured in place?
Paul,

I appreciate it. No sir I used the circuit doctor method with the bulb taped up cleanly in headlight bucket housing. I may give the load resistors a whirl but not entirely sure yet. I kept the halogen fogs because these headlights did some funny things with the LED fogs I had in there.

Patrick
Old 10-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 788 Likes on 565 Posts

Look great!

Once you have them hooked up it is real easy to see where to use two cable ties so they don't bounce around. Dan
Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Paul,

I appreciate it. No sir I used the circuit doctor method with the bulb taped up cleanly in headlight bucket housing. I may give the load resistors a whirl but not entirely sure yet. I kept the halogen fogs because these headlights did some funny things with the LED fogs I had in there.

Patrick
Ah! Thanks for the quick response.

I didn't see the specific details this "circuit doctor" conjured up, but I gather it involves using a bulb as a load resistor.

Note for those wondering why a LOAD resistor is used to restore the light/function to the pre-LED condition: The fog lights and headlight (filament) are wired in series and then to ground. The fog light depend on the low resistance (around only 6Ω) of the headlight filament in order for the fog lights to work.

The LED circuit requires a much higher resistance - several hundred Ωs in fact. So, with the LED lights installed, the fogs need another path to ground to work. One way can be as simple as installing a substitute (low value) resistor in place of the original headlight filament (aka "LOAD RESISTOR"), OR altering the circuit wiring to provide a ground for the fog lights.

Load resistors simplicity has favor in other conversions, namely later model cars. Many cars now have the capability to monitor the various circuit currents and detect any anomalies (like the insertion of LEDs may cause) and illuminate a warning light. A proper load resistor assures the current remains as before and this avoids setting any warning lights.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:27 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"Is this the best way to do it? Any suggestions?"

I took mine in to the MOT Station (UK annual test place) where I have mine tested, and asked them to check it on their alignment machine. It was much more accurate than the wall method (which I'd already done), and they were nice enough not to charge me!

Last edited by maddogwyatt; 10-20-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Ah! Thanks for the quick response.

I didn't see the specific details this "circuit doctor" conjured up, but I gather it involves using a bulb as a load resistor.

Today I did the CD process to my 94 Lightning, and again it worked like a charm. I did try two different LED flashers and an in-line resistor (neither worked), just spiced in a couple bulbs an it works like a charm
Old 10-23-2017, 04:02 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

You need the Circuit Doctor (or similar mod) with some years that used the high beam filament as a ground for the fog lights. I think it's for 1990 and later. I know my '86 has a hard wired fog light ground, so it's not a problem.

LED and HID headlights don't have filaments, so the fog lights don't work. There was extensive discussion on this topic in these threads:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solution.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eadlights.html

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 10-23-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM
402vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these ....if on high all the time make sure fogs are off...
Old 03-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 Stalker
Now I'm waiting for it to get dark so I can dial them in against the garage wall. I have the car backed up 40 feet. At 40 I'm going to have it so the projector light low beam line breaks about knee level (at the wall).

Is this the best way to do it? Any suggestions
Not sure where to get one now, but I bought this aim tool back in the day...

Works amazingly well with no guesswork.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Genssi LED Projector headlights in 85