Removing Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,967 Likes on 946 Posts
Default Removing Tinting

Hey Guys,

My 94 has tinting on the rear hatch window. It doesn't look bad at all, its just not my cup of tea.

Do you have any tips for removing it? Im afraid of two things:
  1. It will leave a sticky mess behind (not sure what to clean it with)
  2. It may damage or pull off the rear defroster lines
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Here it would cost around $150 to have it done professionally. I think I'd just have them do it.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

you can sweat it of with a trash bag and simple green,or use a wallpaper steamer but if you are worried about the defroster you should just pay a pro.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MRPVette
you can sweat it of with a trash bag and simple green,or use a wallpaper steamer but if you are worried about the defroster you should just pay a pro.
I just got a quote last week, including the windows and the rear hatch (the hatch is tinted, windows aren't) guy said 350 if he has to take the tint off for all, and 200 if I can get it off myself. He doesn't want to take the risk of ruining the defroster either it seems.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by MRPVette

On a warm day cover the window with a black trash bag after soaking the outside with soapy water. You can also use ammonia on the inside to speed up the process.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 AM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
I just got a quote last week, including the windows and the rear hatch (the hatch is tinted, windows aren't) guy said 350 if he has to take the tint off for all, and 200 if I can get it off myself. He doesn't want to take the risk of ruining the defroster either it seems.
If you can get it off yourself....whats he charging you for ? Did I miss something ?

later, tiny
Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
If you can get it off yourself....whats he charging you for ? Did I miss something ?

later, tiny
350 for him to take off the tint, and retint, 200 if I bring it to him with the tint already taken off.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a severe do it yourselfer as I buy and sell cars very frequently. I do everything on my vehicles myself. Everything. I have rarely run into an issue that required the pros to finish. The one that sticks out most in my mind was my attempt at removing tint off of a back window with defrost. That cost me. The tint guy came out and spent 3 hours getting the tint off that car. I will never attempt to do that again.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Spasetrucker
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagpype
I am a severe do it yourselfer as I buy and sell cars very frequently. I do everything on my vehicles myself. Everything. I have rarely run into an issue that required the pros to finish. The one that sticks out most in my mind was my attempt at removing tint off of a back window with defrost. That cost me. The tint guy came out and spent 3 hours getting the tint off that car. I will never attempt to do that again.

My son had good luck removing the residue from his Dodge Dakota's tint using Goop hand cleaner.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:40 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

there is a 3M adhesive remover in can ya can buy at any auto supply shop for ~$15.

lift, spray, lift, spray etc....
Old 04-22-2017, 11:36 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Spray it with 409 cleaner then cover with black plastic and bake in the sun do not scrap it you will kill the defroster. But can scratch in between to help.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-22-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Hey Guys,

My 94 has tinting on the rear hatch window. It doesn't look bad at all, its just not my cup of tea.

Do you have any tips for removing it? Im afraid of two things:
  1. It will leave a sticky mess behind (not sure what to clean it with)
  2. It may damage or pull off the rear defroster lines
Thanks!
I had mine professionally tinted and it looks great, plus it has the advantage of preventing sun fade to the rear carpeting and keeps the interior temps down in the summer. If yours isn't bubbling or peeling, I would highly recommend you leave it. If you plan on selling it, the tint will be a perk.

Removing it it has a high likelihood of damaging the defrosting wires and replacing a rear hatch glass is expensive. Just my .02 😁
Old 04-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Darkred88
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use steam. A friend of mine has a steamer. Using it, he and I had all of my tinting off in an hour or two. You'll need a helper, a steamer, water, a razor blade, some rags, and some towels to put down, especially in the hatch area to catch drips.

One of you will apply the steam while the other follows behind, pulling the tinting off. The film should pull right off in big hunks after it's exposed to steam for a few seconds. Use the razor blade to scrape off whatever pieces of film that are left behind and wipe the adhesive off while it's still hot. If either the film or the adhesive don't come off, hit it with the steam again. Go over everything afterward with glass cleaner and a clean microfiber and you're done.

I think I had to remove the striker inside the hatch glass on my car too because when they put the tint in, they put it under it.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:45 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Spray it with 409 cleaner then cover with black plastic and bake in the sun do not scrap it you will kill the defroster. But can scratch in between to help.
*scrape

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Tinting

Quick Reply: Removing Tinting