C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Picked up an 86 4+3 today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Theman5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I will also look for the article and read through it. Might be some useful information in it that I would have otherwise missed!

I think this summer I am not only going to replace the carpet in the car but also look for a solid top. I'll paint it if I have to and buy a new headliner if need be. It gets downright nasty feeling in the car and with no a.c., miserable at times.

The idle is really wonky on this car. I dont know any of the car's history other than the guy I bought it from, bought it from his friend's father who loved the car but didn't drive it often. The seller had no idea it had a remanufactured engine and had no clue how to fix any of the issues that were plaguing the car.
Run some seafoam in the vehicle. Good stuff. Also throttle body need cleaned? Can play havoc with the IAC
Old 05-19-2020, 06:35 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

When I originally bought the car, I removed the throttle body to replace a coolant temp sender and while it was out I cleaned it and replaced the IACV, the U-shaped coolant hose, and the replaced the gasket in between the throttle body and the plenum. The injectors appear to be newer. I did run one can of BG 44K through the tank when I got the car. Probably couldn't hurt to do it again. I have a few cans of the stuff. I keep it in stock here.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:41 AM
Theman5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
When I originally bought the car, I removed the throttle body to replace a coolant temp sender and while it was out I cleaned it and replaced the IACV, the U-shaped coolant hose, and the replaced the gasket in between the throttle body and the plenum. The injectors appear to be newer. I did run one can of BG 44K through the tank when I got the car. Probably couldn't hurt to do it again. I have a few cans of the stuff. I keep it in stock here.
Idle 'wonky' before or after you changed the IAC?? Checked the voltage on the TPS?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:12 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

I did adjust the TPS using a multimeter. The idle has always been up and down. It starts out high when I depress the clutch, usually about 1300rpm and then will drop gradually sometimes or just all at once other times down to 700rpm. It's really weird.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 AM
RichardJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all you have going on, I would expect it would be setting trouble codes.
Have you checked for fault codes?
Old 05-20-2020, 06:48 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

I have and there are none. The engine runs great, the idle is steady and does not fluctuate rapidly, it has plenty of power, and I'm getting about 17mpg. The only issue is that it idles high randomly and it lasts usually only a few seconds and then it drops back down to 700. The other thing that I do not like is that the gas pedal is somewhat stiff compared to my 84 and my old 94. I'm not sure if that's an L98 thing or if maybe the throttle body shafts are worn. The travel is smooth and linear, there is no binding in the throttle cable. I removed it from the throttle body and moved it by hand and it moves freely. When moving the throttle body by hand, it moves freely but feels like it has a lot of spring tension on it. I've lived with it for the three years that I've owned the car. I've thought about buying another known good throttle body and a new IACV and gasket and tossing it on my car to see if it made any difference. That's as far as I've gotten with doing anything about it because it does run so well.

Quick Reply: Picked up an 86 4+3 today!