Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Picked up an 86 4+3 today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I was inspecting the relay for the overdrive unit and the connector is just garbage and there is exposed wiring on the pigtail. I think that's going to be the first place I'm going to start. Test the relay and solder in a new pigtail for the relay. Now..to find a place that sells the pigtails
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I was inspecting the relay for the overdrive unit and the connector is just garbage and there is exposed wiring on the pigtail. I think that's going to be the first place I'm going to start. Test the relay and solder in a new pigtail for the relay. Now..to find a place that sells the pigtails
I don't believe that should be an issue. The OD relay, fuel pump and cooling fan should share connectors. I've seen some after-market for less than 5$ from time to time but I believe. 12010015 was an empty connector and I believe that likely a GM 12101922 will do or an equivalent from anyone.

This one is interesting maybe GOOGLE 2772F JT&T

JT&T has some very interesting and often harder to find wiring accessories, vacuum line connectors etc.

OP-they have most everything that you might likely need. They're not a "supporting vendor" so I won't link them but they look like a very good option!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-26-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

I'll check them out. I'd like to solder in a few new connectors as the original ones are not in the best of shape.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

On a bright note, I replaced the plugs yesterday and today after work I replaced the cap, rotor, secured the coil to the cap as it was just floating in the cap with nothing securing the grounds. I also replaced the plug wires with an AC Delco set. It was getting dark and the car was outside so I just ran them temporarily so that I could run it and take it for a quick drive and then park it back in the garage. The engine runs excellent now and pulls hard. I'm pleased.

Next on my list is to see if I can get the temperature gauge working on the cluster and check the sender wiring, replace the fuel filter, bleed the clutch, flush the coolant, change the oil, dye the carpet back to grey from its faded near white color, and figure out the issue with the overdrive not turning on.

Then I need to do front wheel bearings, tires, alignment, and shocks all around. Then I'll do outer window channel seals and any other things that my arise. I'm having some fun with this one!!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

do NOT try the rit dye method.

i just attempted that exact thing. same faded grey back to grey.

it was a disaster.

i now bought a new set of carpets for $700 shipped.

if i had used the spray bottle (duplicolor or sem fabric and vinyl dye) with the soft bristle brush to brush the fibers out so they dont clump,,,,id be done and have 800$ in my jeans!

fyi!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

I'll keep that in mind. I have some research to do on dyes before I make a purchase. I want one that is easy to use and is as close as possible to the original color. The carpet isn't bad, its just pretty faded and I think it would make the interior look a whole lot better if the carpet were the correct color instead of being the faded color that it is.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Corvette of the Week!

Great find! Our Corvette of the Week! https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...86-43-project/
Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

WOW, thank you for choosing me and my new 86 for your Corvette of the week!!! Its a worthy project for sure and I'm proud to own the car despite the issues it has.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:24 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

The good news is that I found the issue with the power being fed to the coolant temp sender. The wire was pinched under the nut for the power wire on the starter. I removed the starter, cut the bad wiring out and installed a new wire and temp sender. Guess what, I have a working coolant temp gauge!!

I was finally able to take the car for a drive and in doing so, the radiator cap let loose, spewing coolant all over my engine. I was about a mile from home but the engine coolant temps were very high when I pulled in the driveway at 240 degrees. I let it cool down and topped it back off with coolant and it seems to still run fine. A little smoke when the engine is warm but the smoke smells more like its running rich than burnt coolant. No oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. Hoping for the best here.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Drove the car yesterday after work and it ran without issue and did not smoke during or after the drive. I can honestly say that this car has some real potential.

I ordered a new front wheel bearing assembly yesterday from Detroit Axle (www.detroitaxle.com). Supposed to be an excellent quality bearing and it was only $51 shipped!! I'll post pics once it arrives and of the install. The right front wheel bearing felt tight so I'm holding off on it for now.

Next order of business today it to pull the left rear tire and see why the parking brake cable is rubbing up against the tire. I heard a sqeaking noise yesterday and saw that the cable was just barely touching the tire. Tire size is correct so maybe a retaining bracket is bent or missing. I'll post some more pics today!
Old 04-30-2017, 05:37 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Got the tire pulled and the emergency brake cable rerouted. I acquired a used overdrive relay from a buddy and low and behold, the overdrive works well. I'm not able to turn it on and off with the button and after disengaging it using the throttle, it does not go back onto overdrive. So there are still some bugs to work out but I do know it does operate well. So overall, I'm pleased with the car and think it makes a great addition to my stable!
Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like its coming right along!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Its coming along well! I'm still having trouble finding a set of new tires for the car. Everywhere I look the tires are on back order or out of stock. I have some more things to dig into with the 4+3 trans as well. I want to replace the gear oil and replace the overdrive filter and gasket as well. No telling when it was last changed. Put a high quality ATF in there and get a new filter set. Wouldn't mind changing the differential oil as well. I have a new fuel filter for the car as well. I'll toss that on while I'm under there.

It was nice to spend the day cruising with my youngest son. He really enjoys the car and its nice to have father son time spent in a Corvette. Hoping he will carry those memories with him for life!

Took a couple pictures of the car before I parked it last night. Wanted to share them here. Nothing special, just a couple of driveway pics:

Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

The car looks great!
What tires are you looking for the P255s?
My son and I did the same thing yesterday morning and early afternoon. We took a run to Sharon, PA.

Last edited by Cjunkie; 05-01-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:04 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

how did u hear about the detroit wheel hub and are they different from "whitebox" style overseas pieces?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:35 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Great find! You paid for the nice paint job and got the car for free! I love hearing stories about people getting great deals on older Corvettes! I only have a 3 car garage and don't have room for anything else otherwise I would like to buy another Corvette. I like the C-4's since they are pretty simple and easy to work on for the most part.
They are pretty reliable too if the maintenance is kept up.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
The car looks great!
My son and I did the same thing yesterday morning and early afternoon. We took a run to Sharon, PA.
Yeah, I'm looking for the original tire size. I believe 255/60/16. They seem to be near impossible to find. How was your trip?

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up an 86 4+3 today!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
how did u hear about the detroit wheel hub and are they different from "whitebox" style overseas pieces?
I was talking to a buddy at work Saturday on lunch and he mentioned that he bought front bearings for his wife's Saturn Vue from www.detroitaxle.com and he said they are U.S. made and very good quality. He said he paid $40 per bearing with no shipping charge. Said the bearings were very good quality and said that he's had no issues with them. I got on the website right then and there on my phone and ordered a new bearing for my car. I'll post pics of the bearing when it comes in and let you guys know my opinion on its quality.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:41 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joeking
Great find! You paid for the nice paint job and got the car for free! I love hearing stories about people getting great deals on older Corvettes! I only have a 3 car garage and don't have room for anything else otherwise I would like to buy another Corvette. I like the C-4's since they are pretty simple and easy to work on for the most part.
They are pretty reliable too if the maintenance is kept up.
The paint is great in spots and no so great in others. The back bumper is flaking on the top, the area behind the lift off roof has some fade and the top of the driver's door is faded. There are some scratches on the front bumper and a couple of paint chips by the left headlamp. Other than that its very presentable and its a nice driver quality paint. I agree that the C4 is easy to work on and that they are pretty reliable. I've only been stranded once and required a tow home. But that was a failed optispark out of the blue. I mean, this car made the over 200 mile trip home, with a miss, shaking from a bad wheel bearing, non working coolant temp gauge, no functioning overdrive, engine howling along just under 3000rpm and it got me and my son home without fail. I'd say that its a pretty tough car!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
The car looks great!
Trip was fun and the car did great.
The only original tire size I could find through the help of a forum member are the BFG g-force Sport COMP-2 in the 255s. (They are actually P255/50-16s). I mean that's it. I searched all the big names. Ill probably order a set next month and put them in storage.

Last edited by Cjunkie; 05-02-2017 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (05-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Picked up an 86 4+3 today!