Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Car has potential. Looks like a good foundation for a driver.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

dont u want a 6spd?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 AM
vanimal
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
dont u want a 6spd?

Well yes & no lol. While I've owned some 5/6spds in the past. I've grown used to my the S-tronic DSG trans in my Audi S5. Granted it's 10 times the trans that's found in a auto C4. I drive it 90% of the time with the paddle shifters as I like to choose my own gear etc.

However it certainly would be a cool to have a 6spd, they are a little more rare in the C4. Me and my fiancé go into the city usually on the weekends to my friends Brewery. I usually do the beer drinking and she responsibly gets us home safe. AND she can't drive manual lol. I'd wanna take the vette out on summer nights. So that's one positive of having the auto haha.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by vanimal
I've grown used to my the S-tronic DSG trans in my Audi S5. Granted it's 10 times the trans that's found in a auto C4. I drive it 90% of the time with the paddle shifters as I like to choose my own gear etc.
1. If you like to "choose your own gear", then why are you getting an automatic in the C4?? Especially if the C4's auto is so inferior....?

2. Sounds like you should be looking at an E36 BMW for your cheap play toy since you are so enamored of refined German automobiles.

3. $4200 sound like a fair price-of-admission to the world of Corvette. The car is 26 years old, fer cryiin' out loud. If it were perfect, the guy would be asking $8000 for it. Don't be one of the jackwagon-lowballers you spoke of.

4. In all honesty, I don't think a Corvette would be a good fit for you.

Just saying.

Last edited by rocco16; 04-26-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would spend the $4000-4500 on that car knowing I would be dumping at a minimum of an additional 2-3k to get my piece of mind... It looks like an honest car... Personally, I'm a fan of yellow as it's actually a rare color... For that year I think it was the second most rare color under that ugly (IMO) Charcoal Metalic at something like 620 or something I would have to look it up...

I mean for a 26-year-old car with 97+k miles? It looks damn good IMO...
Old 04-26-2017, 12:53 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rocco16
1. If you like to "choose your own gear", then why are you getting an automatic in the C4?? Especially if the C4's auto is so inferior....?

2. Sounds like you should be looking at an E36 BMW for your cheap play toy since you are so enamored of refined German automobiles.

3. $4200 sound like a fair price-of-admission to the world of Corvette. The car is 26 years old , fer cryiin' out loud. If it were perfect, the guy would be asking $8000 for it. Don't be one of the jackwagon-lowballers you spoke of.

4. In all honesty, I don't think a Corvette would be a good fit for you.

Just saying.
Did you read my original post? I've loved the C4 Corvette since I was in middle school. That love has never left, especially when i see one which is rare now of days. As for a quick response for a e36 BMW is LOL. You mean the dime a dozen vehicle of the German world, long story short I hate BMW's & would never own one. I think the e90 M3 is a decent car but still wouldn't own one. I'm not sure where you got I'm so enamored over German vehicles. This is only the second one i have owned, the prior being a Audi s4. It's my daily driver, it's a AWD vehicle that will move through the weather in PA with it a sweat looking good doing it.

Iv'e owned American long before German. Hell First 3 vehicles when I started to drive at 17 was 89 Mustang GT, 93 Mustang GT, 88 LX coupe. All modded to hell with bolt one, 88 having a supercharger. Corvette would be a awesome fit, I would drive and enjoy the **** out of it from spring to summer. All while reminding me of my friend & I crushing around in his Dads. IMO the C4 Corvette is the best looking Vette ever made. The car has stood the test of time. Oh and as for "choosing" my own gear in the S5. I do this because it's a 7 speed trans and it shifts gear way to fast to automatically to save gas if not in sport mode. I drive the car the way it should be driven with the RPM's up. Here's a pic of it of my S5.

As for being CHEAP, i am not a cheap person by any means. You have to understand the car has been sitting for potentially years. That is never a good thing sometimes. Cars like to run, there can be tons of things that could go wrong in a short time not that it would be running a few times a week. Low miles don't always tell the whole story.

Last edited by vanimal; 04-26-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:09 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrJoelieC
I would spend the $4000-4500 on that car knowing I would be dumping at a minimum of an additional 2-3k to get my piece of mind... It looks like an honest car... Personally, I'm a fan of yellow as it's actually a rare color... For that year I think it was the second most rare color under that ugly (IMO) Charcoal Metalic at something like 620 or something I would have to look it up...

I mean for a 26-year-old car with 97+k miles? It looks damn good IMO...
I did see that. In 1991 they only made 650 yellow C4's compared to the average of 4500 each in white and black. Thought that was pretty cool. I figured 2k originally i could put into it spread out. Things like tires and stuff would need to be done right away.

Just have to decide if its worth sprucing up myself. Or finding one that is a little more money but won't need as much TLC.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

nevermind rocco. u dont owe him an explanation.

fwiw i have an 87 auto. its the z52. i drive around in second in the city and maybe drive sometimes. if i hit the highway i put into od for a cruise and fuel economy.

i change my oil often and have a done of fun with my auto.

i bought an 86 in the 4+3 and when i get done fixing it up ill decide which one im keeping. but im surprising myself by leaning towards the auto. its hassle free when i want it to be and i can work it over if i want.

wife LOVES to drive it and i have her total buy in for all things vette related.

im installing a tranny cooler just because i do see the oil temps get ip to 100deg C often and i can imagine my trans is the same.

if u like the yellow, buy the car.

and offering him 400 less isnt lowballing. whats the worst can happen. he says no. even if u offer him 1000 less. who cares. it isnt personal hahaha.

enjoy and if u pull the trigger u must post detailed pictures!!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Oh forgot, small update.

As for the inspection, the tires are RIGHT on the border prob 3/32 and probably won't pass with them. Of course i would get new tires right away. The car WOULD be inspected before i buy it. HOWEVER, it would be a "bought" sticker. Which still gives me a whole year to get things fully worked out. But he thinks there is no reason why it wouldn't pass with new tires. He just doesn't want to put the extra money into the car via tires etc and sell it as is.

Maybe its a case of he just needs money, who knows.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default vanimal

Nice looking Audi.... I must disagree though.... I have owned 5 BMW's and they've all been pretty good vehicles.. 3,5,6 & two 7's.... I now own a Mercedes AWD that my wife DD's for her job as a realtor.... Its awesome in the snow!! I don't really care who likes what I buy. I buy it for me... not everyone else.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 81c3
Nice looking Audi.... I must disagree though.... I have owned 5 BMW's and they've all been pretty good vehicles.. 3,5,6 & two 7's.... I now own a Mercedes AWD that my wife DD's for her job as a realtor.... Its awesome in the snow!! I don't really care who likes what I buy. I buy it for me... not everyone else.
That is a valid point, can't argue there. Everyone has different taste, i just like the refinement especially the interior of my S5 with its Recaro racing seats but still being a comfortable GT sorta car not being a full blown sports car.

I have always respected the e90 M3 coupe they are nice.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:42 PM
rocco16
Race Director

I'm not sure where you got I'm so enamored over German vehicles.

Well, this post is one place:
Granted i am used to my daily driver which is a refined German vehicle.
Or, your last post, complete with photos of an Audi:

This is only the second one i have owned, the prior being a Audi s4. It's my daily driver, it's a AWD vehicle that will move through the weather in PA with it a sweat looking good doing it.

Here's another:

I've grown used to my the S-tronic DSG trans in my Audi S5. Granted it's 10 times the trans that's found in a auto C4. I drive it 90% of the time with the paddle shifters as I like to choose my own gear etc.
And, another:

It takes me a long time to wash my deep sea blue pearl Audi,
How about this:
I have a Audi for radio,
Oh, and one more:

My daily driver is a 2010 Audi S5 with the 4.2 V8, really nice car

While you may have liked the Corvette since eighth grade, the reality of actually owning one.....after experiencing "refined German" craftsmanship and cache'....may be a big disappointment for you.

If you do get one, don't forget the "My Other Car Is An Audi" license plate frame. It may help keep you from terminal embarrassment when you're driving the C4.

Last edited by rocco16; 04-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Well, this post is one place:

Or, your last post, complete with photos of an Audi:

Here's another:

And, another:

How about this:

Oh, and one more:

While you may have liked the Corvette since eighth grade, the reality of actually owning one.....after experiencing "refined German" craftsmanship and cache'....may be a big disappointment for you.

If you do get one, don't forget the "My Other Car Is An Audi" license plate frame. It may help keep you from terminal embarrassment when you're driving the C4.
I think you are missing the point here. But I get it, you're one of "those" Corvette guys. Do you drive yours or does it sit under a cover?

I want a C4, I can afford a new Z06 but I don't want one. I WANT a C4 under $10k that I can drive & enjoy wrenching on. Buying a super clean on would defeat the purpose for me . I want one that's clean but needs a little TLC. I will ENJOY fixing up most of the stuff. They do say why own a sports car if you don't drive or can't fix it yourself.

Weather permitting I'd probably chose to drive the C4 over my Audi. Most times I'll let my fiancé take the Audi & I'll drive my older Jeep Wrangler. Everyone was helpful here I don't get why you are ripping on me lol.

For others I'm headed to go look at it again now. I'll snap someone up pictures of wear and tear. I'll let it run for 10 mins & check the oil pressure. I'll also scan it to see if it has codes. Also check the climate control codes.

Really want it but can't jump the gun. I've been browsing CL for like 2-3 years for one under $8-7kk that's clean. Almost bought a 89 2 years ago. But decided to hold the it for a 91+.

Last edited by vanimal; 04-26-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

UPDATED pictures. As suggested I took some pictures of the temp after i let it run for 10 mins. Did hear the fans kick on once or twice in that time, is that because its sitting still i assume? Let me know if the temp and oil pressure look accurate.

ALSO, found out he does NOT have the key to unlock and lock the door. Only the one to start the car. Is that something a lock smith can cut for me for a decent price. OR do i have to jump through hoops going through the dealer? Also noticed the car didn't have the stock oval exhaust tip covers?

Got there at dusk so did my best to take some cell phone pictures. I could not get the climate control temp buttons to work, it just stayed at 60 deg. All the other buttons for climate work they seemed. Antenna does not go up, and the radio shows the time but displays SCV? Power drive seat works, passenger one makes a buzz sound and does not move when you move the slider. New motor i assume it needs?

Coolant seemed a little murky, sure that needs to be flushed. Seemed like a fairly dirty green with a SLIGHT copper tinge although the lighting the car was under wasn't the best. Smelled like coolant though haha. Look close you'll see the quarter is a different shade compared to the door. Not sure if they fade differently because of the rear quarter is fiberglass and the door is steel? I do plan to get the car paint fully cut or fully polished to bring it up a bit. Interior is fairly clean, i could scrub that down myself

To make myself clear i am looking to drive the car not make it a show car. Still want advice from you guy here to make sure if i should walk etc.

Last edited by vanimal; 04-26-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:22 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Oh i forgot when the car is running the INFL REST light stayed illuminated on the screen above the radio i believe. With just the ignition on service engine soon stayed on, but i assume that is normal until the car is started.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:26 PM
rocco16
Race Director

ALSO, found out he does NOT have the key to unlock and lock the door. Only the one to start the car. Is that something a lock smith can cut for me for a decent price. OR do i have to jump through hoops going through the dealer?
The door lock key is a standard key; getting one should involve little hoop-jumping.

Also noticed the car didn't have the stock oval exhaust tip covers?
I'd say the stock mufflers have been replaced. The stock rectangular outlets are welded to the stock muffler and are not covers.

Look close you'll see the quarter is a different shade compared to the door. Not sure if they fade differently because of the rear quarter is fiberglass and the door is steel?
Doors are not steel. If the paint doesn't match, it's because one (or maybe both) have been repainted at some point.

Still want advice from you guy here to make sure if i should walk etc.
If you are truly looking for a project car to fix up, this looks like a good one.

Last edited by rocco16; 04-26-2017 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vanimal (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

The door lock key is a standard key; getting one should involve little hoop-jumping.

I'd say the stock mufflers have been replaced. The stock rectangular outlets are welded to the stock muffler and are not covers.

Doors are not steel. If the paint doesn't match, it's because one (or maybe both) have been repainted at some point.

If you are truly looking for a project car to fix up, this looks like a good one.
I really appreciate that feedback this time . I figured the stock mufflers were replaced at some point. That is a bummer because i really like the stock oval outlets. I already googled it and seen for a few hundred you can get mufflers with the stock type tips.

Bummer on the doors, good news with the key which i figured or at least hoped.

I mean all in all, the car will be able to be driven, although id like to get that coolant flushed out ASAP and a oil change. But i would be able to chip away at the problems month by month.

I told him honestly where i stood and i still am taking a chance as problems could arise and what it will cost for new tires, fix the radio, and who knows with the climate. He would take $4k. I am looking for a "driveable" project i can chip away at. Car seems to have potential, and once i give it the TLC it deserves should be a good feeling that i brought it back to a respectable condition it deserves. Seems like it needs a solid $2500 over a period of time to get it there. But at least i would or hope i can drive it around while i work at it for the time being. I did see a replacement rebuilt seat rack for the passenger side is about $250.

Last edited by vanimal; 04-26-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included

Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i may be mistaken, but while the door keys are a dime a dozen, you have no key to get another key made from.

i believe you will be requiring a new set of lock cylinders with matching keys. i believe the cntr console was also opened and locked with the door key.

this job is a pita. but ofcourse doable.he would be billed im going to GUESS $2000 for that to be done at the dealership. and because they dont work on them they will break things and maybe not put it back right.

that will be why it hasnt been done. i just did my door panels and its not hard once you have done it but thats just to say its a delicate job you proceed cautiously with so u dont break more stuff during the repair.

there are a few threads about the infl light thingy right now.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Haven't read all the responses here so this might have been mentioned but the radio issue is most likely the CDM controller and or the speakers. These 2 items always go out and the CDM controller is a nightmare to replace. Car looks fairly clean for the price.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i may be mistaken, but while the door keys are a dime a dozen, you have no key to get another key made from.

i believe you will be requiring a new set of lock cylinders with matching keys. i believe the cntr console was also opened and locked with the door key.

this job is a pita. but ofcourse doable.he would be billed im going to GUESS $2000 for that to be done at the dealership. and because they dont work on them they will break things and maybe not put it back right.

that will be why it hasnt been done. i just did my door panels and its not hard once you have done it but thats just to say its a delicate job you proceed cautiously with so u dont break more stuff during the repair.

there are a few threads about the infl light thingy right now.
Hoping it won't be a deal breaker or a headache. I'd like to be able to lock the car when out and about although I'd keep nothing valuable in it. It may be a bigger deal than I thought.

Quick Reply: Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included