Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to remove 1991 drivers power seat switch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM
koritz123
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove 1991 drivers power seat switch.

*** Update More information can be found in a related post as the switch is now fixed. Please see:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594698318
*** End of Update

Just had the car delivered the other day and I ordered the manuals from a Chevrolet dealership; the electrical and the 1991 Corvette repair manual hard copy but they won't be here for a few days and I need to clean the driver side power seat switch which is in the center console. The switch works every way but forward and the passenger side switch works every way. When I play with it enough for probably a minute and a half I can sometimes get the seat to go forward and it moves very quickly forward so it doesn't seem like it's a problem with the motor or tracks or anything like that.

I would just like some simple instructions on how to remove the plastic pieces where the power seat switch is in the center console so I can get to it hopefully spray it or clean it and give it a try as I'm having trouble getting in and out of the car without being able to move the seat forward. Otherwise I just be patient and wait for the manuals to show up.

I could try spraying TV tuner cleaner into the top of the switch if it is open at all and work it back and forth. But I don't know how to remove the plastic slider from the power seat switch. I read that this actually worked for one person. He said he did not have to dismantle anything.

So, if you know how the power seat slider comes off let me know. It might just pry off but I'm afraid of breaking it without knowing for sure.

Last edited by koritz123; 05-08-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by koritz123
Just had the car delivered the other day and I ordered the manuals from a Chevrolet dealership; the electrical and the 1991 Corvette repair manual hard copy but they won't be here for a few days and I need to clean the driver side power seat switch which is in the center console. The switch works every way but forward and the passenger side switch works every way. When I play with it enough for probably a minute and a half I can sometimes get the seat to go forward and it moves very quickly forward so it doesn't seem like it's a problem with the motor or tracks or anything like that.

I would just like some simple instructions on how to remove the plastic pieces where the power seat switch is in the center console so I can get to it hopefully spray it or clean it and give it a try as I'm having trouble getting in and out of the car without being able to move the seat forward. Otherwise I just be patient and wait for the manuals to show up.

I could try spraying TV tuner cleaner into the top of the switch if it is open at all and work it back and forth. But I don't know how to remove the plastic slider from the power seat switch. I read that this actually worked for one person. He said he did not have to dismantle anything.

So, if you know how the power seat slider comes off let me know. It might just pry off but I'm afraid of breaking it without knowing for sure.
You need to remove the shifter bezel first to have access to the seat switches on the console. Start by opening the console lid and look for the two screw bolts underneath the black console carpet next to bottom of the switch. Then remove the single screw bolt underneath the ashtray or the Rubber soda can condom in the cup holder portion f the bezel and lift up the bezel. if you have an automatic be mindful of the shift indication tines that indicate the shift points so you don't snap those off. With the shifter bezel you can see the 4 screw bolts had hold the switches in place. Pretty simple. GC
The following users liked this post:
koritz123 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:11 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
You need to remove the shifter bezel first to have access to the seat switches on the console. Start by opening the console lid and look for the two screw bolts underneath the black console carpet next to bottom of the switch. Then remove the single screw bolt underneath the ashtray or the Rubber soda can condom in the cup holder portion f the bezel and lift up the bezel. if you have an automatic be mindful of the shift indication tines that indicate the shift points so you don't snap those off. With the shifter bezel you can see the 4 screw bolts had hold the switches in place. Pretty simple. GC
I understand Thanks!

I would like to take a shorter route first.
Do you know how the power seat slider comes off? It might just pry off but I'm afraid of breaking it without knowing for sure.
I'd like to just spray some cleaner into the top of the switch to see if that works before I take out the switch assembly.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

I understand Thanks!

I would like to take a shorter route first.
Do you know how the power seat slider comes off? It might just pry off but I'm afraid of breaking it without knowing for sure.
I'd like to just spray some cleaner into the top of the switch to see if that works before I take out the switch assembly.
I would not reccomend that as you would probably break the switch during the process
The following users liked this post:
koritz123 (05-05-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 PM
koritz123
Racer

*** Update More information can be found in a related post as the switch is now fixed. Please see:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...apacitors.html
*** End of Update

Last edited by koritz123; 05-08-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:24 PM
koritz123
Racer

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
I would not reccomend that as you would probably break the switch during the process
The guy working on this said the plastic slider does come right off but you can't access to spray the inside of the switch that way. The switch needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

The guy working on this said the plastic slider does come right off but you can't access to spray the inside of the switch that way. The switch needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
Good to know. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove 1991 drivers power seat switch.

Quick Reply: How to remove 1991 drivers power seat switch.