C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

digital dash fail on 96 LT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:40 PM
JJaym
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital dash fail on 96 LT4

digital portion of my sons dash on his 96 cpe fades away with heat. comes back when cool. I dont remember seeing anything on here about this. read alot about early digital dash but not on this newer style.

JJ
Old 04-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a 96 as well, and live in South Central Texas so it gets plenty hot! I'll be watching this post for tips, just in case.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
I have a 96 as well, and live in South Central Texas so it gets plenty hot! I'll be watching this post for tips, just in case.
Was just thinking , this car has seen a lot of interior heat in it's life.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM
alexm1994
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJaym
digital portion of my sons dash on his 96 cpe fades away with heat. comes back when cool. I dont remember seeing anything on here about this. read alot about early digital dash but not on this newer style.

JJ
I would contact Batee.com for help on that. They do repairs on corvette digital clusters or can provide you with parts if you want to do it yourself.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 PM
LTfever
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Son" here

Hey guys, I'm the son referred to in the original post. So, the issue is now happening whether it is hot or not and much more frequently. After much reading I'm not sure if it is the polarizing film, bad connections, or what. It doesn't have the completely faded appearance I've seen in other videos online so I am thinking it is more likely an electrical issue. Although the Batee.com website looks great and I'm sure their services are worth the price, I would prefer to attempt a fix on my own first. Anybody have any tips or tricks for troubleshooting once I get the gauge cluster out?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

When it disappears can it be brought back with a firm thumb above it on the dash ?
Does it come and go when hitting a bump?

The most common failure is the cable from the circuit board to the LED. Batee can sell you one. If you have experience doing board level repairs it's a routine repair. If not you can ruin the traces and have a pile of junk.

I had a faded polarizing screen. It was readable at night but hard to see in sunlight. Hard to realize it is faded unless you have a good one for comparison.

Finally, if you decide to replace teh film, remember there are no more LCDs available, If you damage it you will need to find a new cluster and possibly have it refurbished.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Contact Contemporary Corvette if you have an issue with your gauge cluster. They clean, rewire and replace all bulbs. They redid mine and it was worth it.

Last edited by C7-Beast; 05-27-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To digital dash fail on 96 LT4

Quick Reply: digital dash fail on 96 LT4