Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hunter Road Force Balancing on Long Island

Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hunter Road Force Balancing on Long Island

I am looking to get my tires balanced on a Hunter Road Force or Elite. Any recommendations for a shop that is equipped and has the personnel that will take the time and do it right in Suffolk County, Long Island?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Call all local tire shops and ask if they do road force balance, that's what I did, found a shop only 17 miles from the house but $40 to do it but it stopped my 65 mph shake on the front. Only did the front cause shake was in steering wheel not seat.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:38 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Road Force

Hi, Here is one in Farmingdale Rt 110,NY
I Had my '99 FRC Wheels balanced there a number of years ago. I would call first to verify.
Owner was a Corvette Guy, used to go to Captree/Oak Beach Sundays.
Barrier
Mi-Joe Automotive Specialties - Auto Repair - 632 Broadway ...
https://www.yelp.com › Automotive › Auto Repair
Rating: 4.5 - ‎3 reviews
(631) 789-1515 · 632 Broadway Amityville, NY 11701

Last edited by Barrier; 05-12-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 AM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Barrier
Hi, Here is one in Farmingdale Rt 110,NY
I Had my '99 FRC Wheels balanced there a number of years ago. I would call first to verify.
Owner was a Corvette Guy, used to go to Captree/Oak Beach Sundays.
Barrier
Mi-Joe Automotive Specialties - Auto Repair - 632 Broadway ...
https://www.yelp.com › Automotive › Auto Repair
Rating: 4.5 - ‎3 reviews
(631) 789-1515 · 632 Broadway Amityville, NY 11701
I would not recommend Mi-Joe. Very poor customer service. I went there a couple years ago for the exact same thing: road force balancing. I was not happy with the Job.

Try that Smithtown Nissan that another member just recommended.

I usually go to Elite Motorsports (they specialize in German cars), but they have a hunter. Pricey though.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 557 Likes on 398 Posts

We have a very nice Hunter balancer at the Toyota dealer I work at. It does road force balancing and when installing a set of new tires, the best possible balance is the road force balance. If the balance is followed properly, the machine will tell you where on the vehicle each tire should go and will tell you if the tire needs rotated on the wheel, it will tell you if there is excessive road force and each tire will be measured in its entirety. As a note, the machine will provide the option for a printout at the end of a road force balance. Make sure wherever you take your car to for the balance provides you with this printout. Not only is it good to keep as a service record, but it is proof that the tech actually did the road force balance and not a regular balance. They are very different.

Now, with a C4 with directional wheels and some with staggered wheels, the road force balance can be conducted but the wheels may not be able to go where the machine suggests that they go. Just thought I'd add that. The tires can still be road force balanced however.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
Most of the OEM dealer service shops have Hunter road force balancing equipment.

Now a Tech that takes the time and actually knows how to use it... that's a whole other story.

I've yet to see any tech spin a bare wheel in a Hunter machine to find the hi spot on that wheel and then proceed to mount a new tire with an inked on hi spot mounted opposite the newly found hi spot on the wheel. This is what the Hunter machines were designed to do to limit balancing wheel weight to the absolute minimum. After this is done (I still never have actually seen it done!) dynamic hi speed balancing procedure using the Hunter machine will ensure the best mount and balance you can get for any tire wheel combo.

BTW Hunter also makes a mount/dismount machine with nylon rollers and hard rubber rim lip protectors that if used properly cannot mar your expensive/old/rare wheels, or brand new chrome/painted/polished wheels in any way.

That being said Smithown Nissan has the latest Hunter mount and balance machines in their shop. I've used them before but I would recommend watching the tech doing the job closely. Keep in mind a small tip goes a long way towards them doing it right.
see post#6
Old 12-01-2017, 03:28 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For you Long Island guys. Try Lakeview Car Care in Ronkonkoma, ask for Freddie.

They have the latest/greatest Hunter Elite Road Force Balancer and Hunter No-Mar Tire Changer and most importantly they know how to do a proper road force balance in manual mode! Freddie was very knowledgeable, easy to talk to, a real "car guy" who owns a vette, and knows what customers are looking for when it comes to a proper road force balance!
The following users liked this post:
Crossed Flags Fan (12-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Hunter Road Force Balancing on Long Island

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hunter Road Force Balancing on Long Island