C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replace transmission oil cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:05 PM
TheGiver
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace transmission oil cooler lines

I have a 1985 4+3. I removed the radiator and one of the metal lines that go to the integrated oil cooler had a frozen fitting. I had to break the line in order to remove the radiator. Has anyone replaced these lines and with what?
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGiver
I have a 1985 4+3. I removed the radiator and one of the metal lines that go to the integrated oil cooler had a frozen fitting. I had to break the line in order to remove the radiator. Has anyone replaced these lines and with what?
Don't know where you live but go to the automotive store and buy a piece of tubing of the same size and cut out the bad piece. Join with a compression fitting. I am able to buy tubing with the threaded fitting already installed. Cheap tubing benders are also available.
The following users liked this post:
TheGiver (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 03:46 PM
TheGiver
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arbee
Don't know where you live but go to the automotive store and buy a piece of tubing of the same size and cut out the bad piece. Join with a compression fitting. I am able to buy tubing with the threaded fitting already installed. Cheap tubing benders are also available.
The pipe broke too close to the fitting to attach them back together. How hard would it be to replace the full lines with braided hose?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Hopefully you left enough line on rad. to allow you to splice it back with a union fitting, compression fitting, or other that will hold the oil pressure. Did you try to heat the fitting to get it free?

Last edited by A Peter C4; 05-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace transmission oil cooler lines

Quick Reply: Replace transmission oil cooler lines