Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to clean/detail the acrylic top?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Default How to clean/detail the acrylic top?

Well the title about sums it up. I'm in the middle of waxing the car and I want to be sure that when I'm done the acrylic top is looking equally as shiny as the rest of the car. I've never done more than soap/water and dry it. It is not deteriorated or stained (the top is about 10 yrs old and the car is garaged). There may be some hard water spots. Any tricks or products to use for the best finish / sun protection? The car is a 94 and the top is the one that appears blue tinted from the inside but black on the outside.

I've been using Turtle Wax Jet Black, Black Box Finish Kit. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. It is a 3 step process that uses a cleaning wax first, carnauba wax second, and last a detail spray. All three of the products are pigmented black to enhance/deepen the finish of a black car. It's restored the shine in the paint and the pigmented wax does seem to hide minor imperfections. So far I've completed the hood, gills, mirrors and halo. Tomorrow I'll start the doors and maybe the butt end. I do wash the car periodically, but I have to admit this is the first time I've waxed the car in probably close to 5 years - it really needed it and I'm glad to see the shine coming back. I'll share some pics once it is done and outside.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I use rain-X on all the glass helps keep it clean and shinny. also helps in the rain
Old 05-16-2017, 12:43 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Clay bar! Sound strange, but it works great, and Mother's recommends it, too! I think you'll be amazed!

Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Claybar on the acrylic?! Never even thought of it. I have a claybar somewhere. Not sure if it's still good. It can always pickup another to try. Maybe RainX after?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Hi,

Check out this thread - shows the product and my results in Post #9 and #12:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ned-glass.html

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:00 AM
marines
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hair conditioner

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Hi,

Check out this thread - shows the product and my results in Post #9 and #12:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ned-glass.html

Thanks!
This is going to sound crazy but one of my friends shared a secret with me regarding keeping a shine. I put abut two inches of water in a bucket and add three squirt of a cheap hair conditioner. Swish it around and wash car. Then I use a shammy to remove any water. looks like a new car and is rain resistant as well.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Mayor111 - looks like carnauba wax was used as a last step. I wasn't sure how wax would work on the top. Looks amazing! I'll have to asses the condition of my top, I don't believe it has the marks like your before picture but I'll take a close look.

marines - that's a novel idea but it seems like it is accomplishing something similar to what a wax job would do. I'd trust a true wax to last longer and protect better. That said - my truck might be a good candidate for this conditioner method!
The following users liked this post:
marines (05-16-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To How to clean/detail the acrylic top?

Quick Reply: How to clean/detail the acrylic top?