Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Brake caliper nightmare.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM
John1995
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper nightmare.

alright, so I have a 1995 corvette with heavy duty suspension. I ordered brake calipers only the left side fit. they sent me the wrong one for the right side which is a little smaller for standard suspension. I'm finding out now that it's almost impossible to find the right side caliper for HD suspension, I can't spend 263 dollars on just one caliper it's insane. anyone know of an upgraded caliper or something that will fit a corvette. I really don't understand why I can't find the right side, Autozone told me it was discontinued, I even called a chevy dealership and he said there was no way to order the part. any info on this subject would be extremely appreciated. for all the money I'm into for just brakes, i could have done a c5 upgrade or something.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:46 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Try looking thru the Rockauto website. They should have the HD caliper (RPO J55 brakes) for the right side. In most cases, they will be remanufactured and you will have to pay an additional core charge but it will be refunded once you send the old caliper back and it checks out to be rebuildable.

What exactly is wrong with the RH caliper? There are rebuild kits available that consist of seals and dust boots. Even the pistons are available. Cost is about $12 or so for AC Delco kits. Is there a shop in your area that specializes in brake work? If so, they may be able to rebuild your caliper.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM
John1995
Intermediate

problem with the right side is the bleeder screw snapped off cus it was so rusted, i was flushing the brake fluid because i have a spongy pedal

Last edited by John1995; 05-18-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Have you tried an EZ out kit? There is a way to get the broken portion out of the caliper. If you don't have the tool, try to find a machine shop or someplace that can remove the broken bleeder.
Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM
John1995
Intermediate

my dad knows a machinist so hopefully he can get it out, just a tip never buy from stockwiseauto.com I can't even get a real person on the phone. when u call they direct u to a voice transcript recorder that turns your message into an email, like wtf. I'm old school I like talking to a human, guess it's a thing of the past lol. thanks for the replies guys
Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Try looking thru the Rockauto website. They should have the HD caliper (RPO J55 brakes) for the right side. In most cases, they will be remanufactured and you will have to pay an additional core charge but it will be refunded once you send the old caliper back and it checks out to be rebuildable.

What exactly is wrong with the RH caliper? There are rebuild kits available that consist of seals and dust boots. Even the pistons are available. Cost is about $12 or so for AC Delco kits. Is there a shop in your area that specializes in brake work? If so, they may be able to rebuild your caliper.

RA shows both the HD and base RH calipers in stock for under $100 including the core.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake caliper nightmare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake caliper nightmare.