C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need help - Oil Temps as high as 256 deg

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Buckeye88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I buy a lot of my parts from Rock Auto and they've always been fantastic! I looked up the converters this morning and here's what I found. The rear converter, which if I remember correctly, yours is an 85 and in 85 there was only one center cat. At any rate, here's the converter list that I found:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...converter,5808

Thanks for the link, I live 5 miles from Summit Racing and ordered a magnaflow direct bolt in last night. It was more than what Rock Auto charges for other brands, but since the car has muffler deletes right now I figured I'd spend the money on a good one.

Look forward to meeting up. I'm on vacation June 2nd through the 14th but would like to meet up soon after that if it works out. Found a few things while under the car last night.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Send me a text or a pm any time and we can meet up. I'd be happy to help you get the car where you want it. I think you made a good choice on the converter. I like the exhaust note with muffler deletes. My first 84 had them but the rest of the exhaust was stock. Sounded great IMO. My 86 has Flowmaster mufflers and they sound decent. The rest of my exhaust is stock and there is not a bit of drone or obtrusive noise.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

As far as synthetic oil causing a leak in a vehicle that has previously run Dino oil , let me just add my 2 cents... I had a 94 Ford truck that I had run dino oil in for over 10 years.. I decided to start putting synthetic oil in the truck because I believed it to be a better oil after much research.. Just one day after putting in the new synthetic oil I started getting oil spots in my garage from oil leaking from the engine gaskets.. A few days later I emptied the synthetic oil and replaced with dino oil , within a few days the oil leaks stopped.. I also thought that oil leaks from synthetic oil was a myth until I experienced it for myself...My truck did have cork gaskets and I think this may have been why the synthetic leaked from my vehicle.. The newer style rubber gaskets may have made this a thing of the past, but back then I did have a problem with the synthetic oil leaking past the cork gaskets....WW
Old 05-26-2017, 12:53 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
As far as synthetic oil causing a leak in a vehicle that has previously run Dino oil , let me just add my 2 cents... I had a 94 Ford truck that I had run dino oil in for over 10 years.. I decided to start putting synthetic oil in the truck because I believed it to be a better oil after much research.. Just one day after putting in the new synthetic oil I started getting oil spots in my garage from oil leaking from the engine gaskets.. A few days later I emptied the synthetic oil and replaced with dino oil , within a few days the oil leaks stopped.. I also thought that oil leaks from synthetic oil was a myth until I experienced it for myself...My truck did have cork gaskets and I think this may have been why the synthetic leaked from my vehicle.. The newer style rubber gaskets may have made this a thing of the past, but back then I did have a problem with the synthetic oil leaking past the cork gaskets....WW
FINALLY! Someone who gets it. You experienced the identical problem I had. Cork gaskets and all. ALL the leaks started with synthetic oil being added, and stopped completely on their own a few days after I changed back to conventional oil. No repairs or gaskets were ever changed. I kept my cork gaskets in place. The rubber gaskets are garbage by the way. OH NO!! Now the two "know it alls" will chime in about how great and problem free rubber gaskets are!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:53 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

While I was out cruising yesterday with my youngest son, I thought of this thread and took a pic of where my coolant and oil temps sit while cruising. Thought I'd share the pic here:

Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
FINALLY! Someone who gets it. You experienced the identical problem I had. Cork gaskets and all. ALL the leaks started with synthetic oil being added, and stopped completely on their own a few days after I changed back to conventional oil. No repairs or gaskets were ever changed. I kept my cork gaskets in place. The rubber gaskets are garbage by the way. OH NO!! Now the two "know it alls" will chime in about how great and problem free rubber gaskets are!
Cork>Rubber
Dino>Synthetic?

Quick Reply: Need help - Oil Temps as high as 256 deg