C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need help - Oil Temps as high as 256 deg

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:12 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye88
I changed the old oil out with 10w-30 high mileage, I was getting some blue smoke at start up and my mechanic recommended to go with a heavyweight oil for 1,000 miles and then change to a synthetic.
Your mechanic needs to be changed. Using 10W30 for your 85 4+3 is perfect. Using a heavy weight oil for 1000 miles and then changing to synthetic oil sounds like something he made up. That "fix" won't do anything. Definitely do not use synthetic oil in it. Early C4's were never designed for synthetic oil. Waste of money and it WILL leak. A puff of blue smoke on start up most likely indicates bad valve stem seals. You probably have the original seals in it and they dry out and get hardened. Oil seeps by them and gets burned off on start up. As far as your oil temperature reading high, I'd change the oil temp sensor first and see what readings you get.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by fourspeedvette
your mechanic needs to be changed. Using 10w30 for your 85 4+3 is perfect. Using a heavy weight oil for 1000 miles and then changing to synthetic oil sounds like something he made up. That "fix" won't do anything. Definitely do not use synthetic oil in it. Early c4's were never designed for synthetic oil. Waste of money and it will leak. A puff of blue smoke on start up most likely indicates bad valve stem seals. You probably have the original seals in it and they dry out and get hardened. Oil seeps by them and gets burned off on start up. As far as your oil temperature reading high, i'd change the oil temp sensor first and see what readings you get.
this!!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:43 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Your mechanic needs to be changed. Using 10W30 for your 85 4+3 is perfect. Using a heavy weight oil for 1000 miles and then changing to synthetic oil sounds like something he made up. That "fix" won't do anything. Definitely do not use synthetic oil in it. Early C4's were never designed for synthetic oil. Waste of money and it WILL leak. A puff of blue smoke on start up most likely indicates bad valve stem seals. You probably have the original seals in it and they dry out and get hardened. Oil seeps by them and gets burned off on start up. As far as your oil temperature reading high, I'd change the oil temp sensor first and see what readings you get.
This post is
Modern day 10w30 oils have no where the zinc needed for a flat tapped engine.
I run full synthetic oils in everything including an all my original 1971 Mach 1 and my 57 Chevy I had. Guess what no leaks anywhere in anything. Whoever started that myth needs their head examined. If these two didn't leak and yours does YOU HAVE ISSUES ELSEWHERE other than oil I promise.
As far as wasting money a jug of 5 qts of Mobil 1 0w40 is under $26 at Wal-Mart. If you cant swing that you really need to be driving a Spark brother.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cjunkie; 05-20-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:16 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
This post is
I run full synthetic oils in everything including an all my original 1971 Mach 1 and my 57 Chevy I had. Guess what no leaks anywhere in anything. Whoever started that myth needs their head examined. If these two didn't leak and yours does YOU HAVE ISSUES ELSEWHERE other than oil I promise.
Good for you! It must be nice to have money to waste. "Mythical"?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This post is
As far as wasting money a jug of 5 qts of Mobil 1 0w40 is under $26 at Wal-Mart. If you cant swing that you really need to be driving a Spark brother.
you think somehow the formula has changed since that was the oil that came in the car?

How much engine work has been done in those cars before using synthetic??

Starting to use synthetic in a 100K engine is asking for leaks where there had been none before.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I changed the old oil out with 10w-30 high mileage, I was getting some blue smoke at start up and my mechanic recommended to go with a heavyweight oil for 1,000 miles and then change to a synthetic.
That's worn valve seals
Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
you think somehow the formula has changed since that was the oil that came in the car?

Starting to use synthetic in a 100K engine is asking for leaks where there had been none before.
The guy doesn't have a clue.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Where's the Amzoil guys when we need them?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

This post is
This is some bad, misinformation. OP, please ignore this post.

All brand name oils...and even virtually all no-name/store brand oils are way better than good enough.

EDIT: HERE IS A GOOD READ, that replaces lore, with science and objective information. Have a look!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

How much rear gear is in the car?

If engine rpm is near 3K @ 70 mph an engine oil cooler is required.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
This is some bad, misinformation. OP, please ignore this post.

All brand name oils...and even virtually all no-name/store brand oils are way better than good enough.

EDIT: HERE IS A GOOD READ, that replaces lore, with science and objective information. Have a look!

That was a good read! Just a note though, his recommendation on the Mobil 1 High Mileage is no longer operative. At least per the Mobil 1 chart I printed out today. https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...r-classic-cars (See answer to question and link to chart)

Mobil 1 High Mileage is now rated SN, not SL as in the post. Though to be fair he did indicate that the rating may change over time and it has. Now rated at 800ppm phosphorus and 900ppm zinc. Still not bad but not the >1100 it was.

Mobil has a new Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 that is rated at 1000ppm phosphorus and 1100ppm zinc that might be a good oil for flat tappet C4's.

Last edited by Weck86; 05-20-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: link to Mobil 1
Old 05-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Good for you! It must be nice to have money to waste. "Mythical"?
Ummm its actually $23 and there is a $12 rebate currently. So thats $11 for a full synthetic oil change. Does it mean I have money to burn or does it mean I more savvy than you?
Old 05-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic

Yes formulas have changed.

The Mach1's engine hasn't been touched since it left the factory and the 57 to the best of my knowledge wasn't touched.

You can start synthetic at any time.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Weck86
That was a good read! Just a note though, his recommendation on the Mobil 1 High Mileage is no longer operative. At least per the Mobil 1 chart I printed out today. https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...r-classic-cars (See answer to question and link to chart)

Mobil 1 High Mileage is now rated SN, not SL as in the post. Though to be fair he did indicate that the rating may change over time and it has. Now rated at 800ppm phosphorus and 900ppm zinc. Still not bad but not the >1100 it was.

Mobil has a new Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 that is rated at 1000ppm phosphorus and 1100ppm zinc that might be a good oil for flat tappet C4's.
This right here.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

What ex-x-fire said. Coolant system needs attention. OIL, not 0w40, 10w40 high mileage Mobil 1, synthetic oil can handle high temps better than conventional oil, this is not a new engine 10w40 would be fine, but 260 oil temp is to high for any street engine. Get coolant temps down and check to see if oil temps fallow.
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Buckeye88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Figured part of it out

while I was removing the throttle body for cleaning I found my coolant leak. The coolant hose that goes from the block to the underside of the throttle body was mush. Leaking from 5-6 different spots. While nobody local has the molded pipe, the guys at Summit Racing recommended E-Z Coil. It takes a standard straight coolant line from a parts store and lets you bend it without kinking it. Best $5.31 I've ever spend. Was able to take it out tonight and coolant stayed below 200 with all city driving. Oil temp stayed 10 degrees below coolant temp until the last mile, then it jumped above by 8 degrees. Will replace the oil temp sensor this week and see what happens.

Thanks for for all the input. Yes, my "mechanic" is no longer my mechanic. The owner of the shop he works in told me to ignore 99% of what his guy says. He's basically good for brake jobs and tire changes on modern cars. I should have known better.

My oil is still clean after 2 weeks. I'm not burning oil as it's still right up to the full line on the dipstick.

After I change the oil temp sensor, I'll take a look at the 4+3 (which right now is a 4 only). I wonder if the high RPM is part of the oil temp issue? is the high rpm due to low fluid in the trans or rear end?

to be continued...........

Last edited by Buckeye88; 05-20-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:53 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Oil temps of 5-15 degrees above coolant temps are normal when engine has been run at operateing temp for 25-35 minutes on highway, coolant 185--oil 200 normal, run it hard ,coolant 190---oil 215 normal. It takes oil longer to reach full temp than coolant.

Last edited by A Peter C4; 05-21-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help - Oil Temps as high as 256 deg

Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

while I was removing the throttle body for cleaning I found my coolant leak. The coolant hose that goes from the block to the underside of the throttle body was mush. Leaking from 5-6 different spots. While nobody local has the molded pipe, the guys at Summit Racing recommended E-Z Coil. It takes a standard straight coolant line from a parts store and lets you bend it without kinking it. Best $5.31 I've ever spend. Was able to take it out tonight and coolant stayed below 200 with all city driving. Oil temp stayed 10 degrees below coolant temp until the last mile, then it jumped above by 8 degrees. Will replace the oil temp sensor this week and see what happens.

Thanks for for all the input. Yes, my "mechanic" is no longer my mechanic. The owner of the shop he works in told me to ignore 99% of what his guy says. He's basically good for brake jobs and tire changes on modern cars. I should have known better.

My oil is still clean after 2 weeks. I'm not burning oil as it's still right up to the full line on the dipstick.

After I change the oil temp sensor, I'll take a look at the 4+3 (which right now is a 4 only). I wonder if the high RPM is part of the oil temp issue? is the high rpm due to low fluid in the trans or rear end?

to be continued...........
Check your PM's. "Private Messages" at top right side of the page. Should be a bold little #1 there.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:11 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
Oil temps of 5-15 degrees above coolant temps are normal when engine has been run at operateing temp for 25-35 minutes on highway, coolant 185--oil 200 normal, run it hard ,coolant 190---oil 215 normal. It takes oil longer to reach full temp than coolant.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:08 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
It was but it's now Quaker Steak and Lube. Not as good as McGarveys. Any time you want give me a call and drop by. We can grill out and bust some knuckles on your car. We can always take the car up to my work and use the lifts and alignment rack and all the flush machines. I'm happy to help you get the car where you want it!!
Your about 5 hours from me, but it sounds like a worthy road trip.
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (05-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Need help - Oil Temps as high as 256 deg