C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Had to Part with my 93 Anniversary :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Had to Part with my 93 Anniversary :(

Well, after a long wonderful time with my 1993 Anniversary edition, I had a very minor accident Saturday night. I didn't think it looked that bad. It needed a bumper and the front clip had a minor chip. Air bags did not blow. The adjuster came out yesterday and the insurance company totaled the car. I will admit that my insurance company did right by me. I got more for the car than I thought possible. Likely because it only had 60k original miles and the car presented really well.

For the first time in 12 years I'm without a Corvette. I know I want another but I'm going to wait a couple years and see what is in store for new Corvettes. I'm still planning on hanging around as I have made a lot of friends on this forum over the last 10 years.

Farewell C4....

Old 05-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

It makes me mad that insurance companies total these nice cars for minor damage just because they are old and inconvenient for them. They don't have any problem taking your money, but squeal like pigs when you make a claim that you have more than paid for over the years. If you had saved the amount of money that you have paid them all these years you'd probably have plenty to buy parts and repair them. The sad truth is, the car is worth more money in hard to find good used parts, than it is worth as a whole running car. Boy the smart recyclers love these Corvettes! Owners just don't have the space and time and energy to part one out. (Plus the Home Owners Assn, your wife and your neighbors would have a fit..)
Some crumbly old building gets treated with godly reverence because it is old and "historical", but let a really nice car just get old and they want to junk it based on age alone!
Old 05-26-2017, 12:38 PM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
Well, after a long wonderful time with my 1993 Anniversary edition, I had a very minor accident Saturday night. I didn't think it looked that bad. It needed a bumper and the front clip had a minor chip. Air bags did not blow. The adjuster came out yesterday and the insurance company totaled the car. I will admit that my insurance company did right by me. I got more for the car than I thought possible. Likely because it only had 60k original miles and the car presented really well.

For the first time in 12 years I'm without a Corvette. I know I want another but I'm going to wait a couple years and see what is in store for new Corvettes. I'm still planning on hanging around as I have made a lot of friends on this forum over the last 10 years.

Farewell C4....

Why not buy it back and have it fixed? You get your car back, and it should cost you less than a new one? Plus, you know what you've done to it. If there is engine damage, maybe not such a good idea, but if it is just body work, that shouldn't cost that much, right?

I have a ruby, hate to see them go away...

Last edited by jsmcol; 05-26-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:52 PM
TOM65 L76 96 LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

I also parted with a 93 Ruby Red this morning, 6sp manual roadster with 14700 miles, new Continental tires and Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust, really nice car just had no room for it and I wanted to keep the 96 Polo Green roadster, sold it to a small dealer in southern Minnesota, could have maybe got a few more $$$$ for it selling it myself but I just did not want to be bothered with the phone calls, tire kickers and lowballers so I took the easy route.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:28 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jsmcol
Why not buy it back and have it fixed? You get your car back, and it should cost you less than a new one? Plus, you know what you've done to it. If there is engine damage, maybe not such a good idea, but if it is just body work, that shouldn't cost that much, right?
Been there, done that. I have purchased salvaged title vehicles and fixed them in the past. I honestly just don't have the time or garage space to do that again. I have no idea what the adjuster saw. The car drove flawlessly. The bumper and the supports were bent and it needed a headlight, turn signal, and perhaps a new clip. The adjuster called me and said he was at 6,500 and "didn't even scratch the surface".

I had better than new car replacement so the insurance company took 15k miles off and used a 45k mile 94 as the comps. The 4 comps they provided were sold between 10-15k. I just put a brand new transmission in last year and they wanted the receipt. My valuation came back at 10,500 so minus the deductible, I'll be getting a check for 10k. I don't think I could have gotten 10k if I sold it privately. I only paid 7k for it 6 years ago.

The oddest part about this whole thing? The car had a reconstructed title when I bought it. I thought for sure the valuation would be a LOT less than a clean titled car. They had the vehicle history in the valuation and it clearly shows the car was a salvage tittle and then re registered as a reconstructed vehicle so it's not like the insurance company did not know. I'll feel better once the check is in my hand but I will miss the 93. Rest in peace

Last edited by C7-Beast; 05-26-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what do they want for the buyback ?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Just out of curiosity, what do they want for the buyback ?
They offered it to me for 3500. It sold at auction for 2200. I know the shop that bought it from Copart. My brother is the GM. They sold the engine and trans then slowly sold most of the good parts. A few weeks ago it was stripped clean . I have a video of it being crushed

I could have bought it back from the owner. He wanted 2400 to cover his costs/transportation but it was time to move on. I didn't have any time to get it fixed.

Here she is when up for auction. I don't think anyone wants to see the car being crushed, I sure don't want to again

https://www.copart.com/lot/30666367

Last edited by C7-Beast; 08-11-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Such minor damage, but the problem is labor/paint and finding the parts and that is what adds up and once it exceeds the value of the car gets totaled which is such a bummer.

Too bad the car was parted, I think a shade tree mechanic who has the time could have easily got the car back into shape with minimal effort and some ebay hunting for the parts.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:42 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

good you made out anyway. C4 owners look on the bright side. with every c4 totaled ours goes up in value.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
They offered it to me for 3500. It sold at auction for 2200. I know the shop that bought it from Copart. My brother is the GM. They sold the engine and trans then slowly sold most of the good parts. A few weeks ago it was stripped clean . I have a video of it being crushed

I could have bought it back from the owner. He wanted 2400 to cover his costs/transportation but it was time to move on. I didn't have any time to get it fixed.

Here she is when up for auction. I don't think anyone wants to see the car being crushed, I sure don't want to again

https://www.copart.com/lot/30666367
That sucks, I have had to send a car or two to the yard over the years, not a good feeling. I definitely would not want to watch one of mine being crushed.
Well, on to the next one !

Get notified of new replies

To Had to Part with my 93 Anniversary :(

Quick Reply: Had to Part with my 93 Anniversary :(