C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replace Front Wheel Hub on 96 CE LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:13 PM
toricred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Front Wheel Hub on 96 CE LT1

I'm about to replace the front hub on my 96 CE. I don't have a lot of tools, but AZ is more than happy to lend me what I need for this project. The one thing we haven't figured out is what size the axle nut is on the front. Can anybody help me find that out so I can save trips to AZ?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The front hub on C4's is a complete unit, so there is no need to take off any large axle nut.

With the wheel off the ground, remove it and set aside. Then remove the caliper by removing the small c-clip at the inside end of the retaining pin. Pull the top of the caliper back and it will slide off. No need to remove the brake hose. Remove the caliper bracket by removing the two large bolts. It helps to have steering all the way to one side so that i'ts easy to get to the bolts. These are torqued to about 165 ft-lbs and the bolt head IIRC, needs a 21mm socket and something like a 24" breaker bar. And muscle.

Once that is off, remove the 4 nuts and bolts that hold the hub assembly to the spindle. Remove the ABS sensor and then pull the hub off. Clean the recess. Some hub assemblies have a rubber o-ring.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Clean the threads of the large bracket bolts and the female threads in the bracket. Make sure you get all of the old threadlocker off. Then apply a small amount of LocTite BLUE threadlocker (don't use RED!!) to the bolt threads and install the bracket. Torque the bolts to about 165 ft-lbs. I do mine in two steps; first to 100 ft-lbs then to the 165.
The following users liked this post:
toricred (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 PM
toricred
Instructor

That explains why I couldn't find the size listed anywhere. I'll get started, and hopefully finished, on this tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 PM
toricred
Instructor

This is not fun with a 102 degree fever. I have the tire off and the next step is removing the clip from the caliper. To do that I need to be able to see straight again. Waiting for the Ibuprofen to kick in so I can get back to this. I should have it removed today. Hopefully tomorrow will go better so I can have my car back in time for work Tuesday.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:06 PM
toricred
Instructor

Got it all apart and I'm putting it back together. Should I use the blue loctite on the bolts attaching the hub to the suspension or just on the bolts for the caliper mount?

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Front Wheel Hub on 96 CE LT1

Quick Reply: Replace Front Wheel Hub on 96 CE LT1