C4 spherical bearing rear suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default C4 spherical bearing rear suspension upgrade

Does anyone have any real time experience with spherical rod end upgrades? Apparently Newman Car Creations can press fit new rod ends into the OE dog bones but I can't seem to contact them and the website doesn't work for some reason
Old 05-29-2017, 12:33 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Subbed.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:00 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Since I get curious when you folks post stuff like this I went looking. There are references on the web that the guy retired. There is a video on youtube detailing his kit.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:58 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

If you're looking for something, I know nothing of Neuman's product but I do know something about: https://www.banskimotorsports.com/

I've talked with Tom Urban from Banski about his kits and put the whole setup on my 86. That's the toe rod kit, camber rod kit and trailing arm kits on my car last winter. I don't know how much it would do with someone into drag racing but for someone that does things like autocross it would be an improvement over the original setup IMO.

Personally I like windy two lane blacktop roads to drive on and for that it's a great improvement over the original setup. After I put mine on I had a 4 wheel alignment done and the feedback I got was that it was very easy to set the alignment up on the car. After that I upgraded the rims and tires and it was well worth the time and expense IMO.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 AM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Hi yes I've seen the Banski products and VBP also carries a similar spherical rod end.
My issue is that Im going to be ordering a chassis from SRiii for a 65/66 restomod build and I'm not sure if the aftermarket adjustable rods will fit. I seems that my options may limited to sectioning the OE rods( bog bones will fit as is ) but id like to upgrade to the special bearings as per the Newman video referenced earlier.
I'm just trying to do some homework before a take the leap..
Old 05-29-2017, 11:44 AM
drcook
Safety Car

My suggestion would be to simply contact them and see if the package is setup to use the entire C4 rear suspension (ie: toe and camber rods). If so, you are good to go with the VBP or Banski setup.

The issue that I saw with the Newman setup is that you cannot easily put dust covers on the spherical rod ends. I purchased those when I bought my Banski parts. While I do not intend to drive the car during bad weather, having those dust covers will prevent grit and stuff from getting into the bearings and promote longevity.

With that said, any COMPETENT machine shop should be able to convert existing components over to pressed in spherical rod ends. It is just a matter of sourcing the components, picking out ones that are big enough so that the machine shop could do a cleanup cut through the bores so a minimal press fit can be achieved. I would probably get big enough rod ends so that a cleanup cut could be done on them to aid in the press and build a fixture to aid in squaring the cut to center lines of the bearing.

All in all, that would probably cost more than just making a phone call to see if you can just use the ones from Banski.

That will end up being a nice ride. I wish I was a bit younger and still had my C2. That would be a way to really build a sweet ride.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:58 AM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Trying to get a hold of the Banski rep today

I'll let everyone know how works out
Old 05-29-2017, 12:32 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HiVoltge
Trying to get a hold of the Banski rep today

I'll let everyone know how works out
Today is a holiday here in the States. It is doubtful you will be able to contact anyone. You all had a holiday last weekend, or at least my buddy in Alberta told me there was something last weekend

I would also call and talk to the folks from SRiii to ask them about the toe and camber setup. They would be the ones that definitively will give you an answer. If they say it is setup for stock C4 components (all components) then the Banski setup should do the trick.

Last edited by drcook; 05-29-2017 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HiVoltge (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 06:54 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Tom from banski actually replied.... the rods can be custom ordered to any desired length so I just need to confirm lengths with SRiii..... as long as all stock mounting holes are maintained there should be no issues ��
Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Morris Marklin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine failed at 22,000 miles (Newman)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Morris Marklin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newman Free Motion dog bones

C4 irs photo
Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Kind of a thread resurrection here, but I run Banski products on my rear suspension. I would recommend them highly. Not only are the parts well made, Tom Urban gives great customer service has real engineering expertise. The bearings are also easily replaceable if they ever need it. VB&P is out of business. I don't know about the Newman products, but I do wonder why one would go through the trouble of pressing rod ends into stock control arms.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 spherical bearing rear suspension upgrade

Quick Reply: C4 spherical bearing rear suspension upgrade