C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

No forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No forward gears

First thank you in advance! I just got an 84 vette from a friend and it doesn't have any forward gears. Just reverse. Is there anything I can check? Linkage etc
. I've wanted a vette as long as I can remember and this is my first one! Very stoked! Thanks, Kev...
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

I meant is there any trouble shooting I can do without pulling out the tranny first?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Don't think Tadge is going to be of much help on this one. Might post this over is C4 Tech. That said, linkage is always the first place to look, but you might be looking at a rebuild or transmission swap.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

Default C4 Dipstick tranny fluid dipstick reading

Hey guys, Attached is a photo of my dipstick reading. The guy before me changed the fluid but it looks like too much fluid? I checked it cold. Thanks, Kev...

Old 06-11-2017, 08:08 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Elevin
Hey guys, Attached is a photo of my dipstick reading. The guy before me changed the fluid but it looks like too much fluid? I checked it cold. Thanks, Kev...

With engine running?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I meant is there any trouble shooting I can do without pulling out the tranny first?
Not much, I'm afraid. Your 700 should go forward and backward regardless of sensors, etc, whatnot. If it doesn't move at all, you need a trans.

The fluid condition is a tip off. It's too clean. The guy tried to change the fluid and filter, hoping it would fix it.

On the bright side: This is a good time to upgrade the trans when you have it rebuilt!

The 700 really wasn't a very good unit when new. A bunch of the newer parts will retro right back into and and make it way, WAY better than it was in 84, and for cheap!
Old 06-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

someone told me that it could be the forward vaccum valve. Is this true? Thanks...
Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

someone told me that it could be the forward vaccum valve. Is this true? Thanks...
That's a new one! If you find out what a "forward vacuum valve is", post here so we can know! Reading between the lines, I feel you are searching for the magical wand wave that is going to cure your problem. There are people here that will help but you have to keep up. I asked if you checked the high fluid level with the engine running and you did not reply. Confab is a professional at this and his last post to you was two weeks ago.

Get notified of new replies

To No forward gears

Quick Reply: No forward gears