Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

applying new decals to refurbed interior - anybody used these?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Default applying new decals to refurbed interior - anybody used these?

hello again everybody. I am now at the stage where I want to apply new interior decals to all of the switches. I purchased a set off of street legal deckles, amazingly out of Canada, everything I need seems to come out of the USA

here is my question, you can see on the photograph of the instructions it says apply several thin coats of Matt clear spray after the decal has been installed.

I really do not want to do this. I have painstakingly refurbished my panels using Landau black and they look factory. I really do not want to put a mat clearcoat on them. I can see the clearcoat peeling, or changing the reflective nature, I just don't want to do it.
I really do not want to do this. I have painstakingly refurbished my panels using Landau black and they look factory. I really do not want to put a mat clearcoat on them. I can see the clearcoat peeling, or changing the reflective nature, I just don't want to do it.

so my question is, has anybody used to these successfully without putting a clear coat on afterwards?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:46 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

haven't used them but would think the clear would be necessary. unlike the original silk screens, decals would be easy to damage.

BTW who is selling them/ Would like to see if they have a set for a 92.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default decals

I wonder if you could use clear nail polish instead? It wouldn't be necessary to do the whole panel, just the decal.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

If you didn't clear the whole panel wouldn't you just have shiny spots where you applied the new decals and clear nail polish?

Also, were you able to source any pictures of the decals installed? I wonder if they look tacked on or they look as nice as the original painted decals.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

ivenever seen them installed no.

i dont need the overdrive decal so ill attempt an install of it on a piece of plastic that has been prepped the same as my panel.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

An old model-builder's trick--brush white vinegar onto the decal after you get it set in place. This will soften the decal and help it lay flat to the surface. There used to be a product called Decal-Set which did the same thing,but I haven't seen it in years.

IMO-You definitely need to clearcoat for protection.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:09 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigtoys
An old model-builder's trick--brush white vinegar onto the decal after you get it set in place. This will soften the decal and help it lay flat to the surface. There used to be a product called Decal-Set which did the same thing,but I haven't seen it in years.

IMO-You definitely need to clearcoat for protection.

thank you for that, question for you, after the vinegar trick is done to soften and help the decals lay flat over a very minimally textured surface that would come from a crack filling primer, how do you wash or treat the deckle so the clearcoat sticks to it nicely. Like I would think I'd have to wipe the Vinegar residue off somehow so I get adhesion of the clearcoat where the decals are?
Old 06-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mr Viking---

You may not have to as Vinegar is Acetic Acid, would be easy to test it on another piece of plastic...just to be sure with your clear, but I don't believe it will cause a problem

D.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
Mr Viking---

You may not have to as Vinegar is Acetic Acid, would be easy to test it on another piece of plastic...just to be sure with your clear, but I don't believe it will cause a problem

D.

i got the sem low luster clear, part of the "color coat" lineup, which is what the landau black is part of, and its basically a clear coat the doesnt change the lustre of the landau back. wich is perfect. so ill try these decals and see what happens.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the results!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:08 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
thank you for that, question for you, after the vinegar trick is done to soften and help the decals lay flat over a very minimally textured surface that would come from a crack filling primer, how do you wash or treat the deckle so the clearcoat sticks to it nicely. Like I would think I'd have to wipe the Vinegar residue off somehow so I get adhesion of the clearcoat where the decals are?
You don't necessarily have to allow the vinegar solution to completely dry on the surface...the decal is applied using water, right? I always used a soft cotton cloth to blot (not rub!!) the surface dry and press the decal in place. Use the same technique to remove the excess vinegar solution after a few minutes. Allow the decal to dry in place overnight before applying any clearcoat.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigtoys
You don't necessarily have to allow the vinegar solution to completely dry on the surface...the decal is applied using water, right? I always used a soft cotton cloth to blot (not rub!!) the surface dry and press the decal in place. Use the same technique to remove the excess vinegar solution after a few minutes. Allow the decal to dry in place overnight before applying any clearcoat.
thanks for that explanation.

i've read that a person should ONLY put water decals onto smoooooth surfaces. not matte or even satin.

apparently the texture does not allow for a smooth water decal.

in my case, the finished product is not glossy, its pretty much flat or satin.

so i have to clear coat the black panels, in gloss, place the water slide decals, then re-coat with whatever lustre of clear i want over top.

im balking. i have panels that look amazing right now, i really don't want to screw them up with this.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by belairbrian
BTW who is selling them/ Would like to see if they have a set for a 92.
I found the same product on fleabay for about 15 bucks.

Only found the set for the early C4. Maybe contact them from the info on the OPs first post
Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

use a matt clear nail polish

Get notified of new replies

To applying new decals to refurbed interior - anybody used these?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: applying new decals to refurbed interior - anybody used these?