C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spark plug wires and retainersm, lack of info

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spark plug wires and retainersm, lack of info

My next project is to change out my plugs since I am at 85,000 and no record of them being changed in the last 12 years. I figured I would change out the plug wires also and looking at those wire retainers wonder if they will survive after 21 years.

Mid America Motor Works shows a kit with 2 4 wire, 2 3 wire and 2 2 wire retainers but I see 2 4 wire retainers on the passenger side alone with another 4 wire retainer for the driver's side bank coming off the Omni... they don't even list the size of the wire retainers.

Now if memory serves me correct the original plug wires are 7 MM correct? Then I need 7 mm retainer clips. I don't believe I have seen 8 mm clips available. SO back to my original question...

I believe this kit will NOT be sufficient to replace the complete plug wire retainer set. I was at my GM dealer and one of the part numbers for the retainers are no longer made. Maybe I am just a worry wirt, but my thought was at the age of the clips they are most likely to be brittle and break.

Am I worrying too much?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTyme
My next project is to change out my plugs since I am at 85,000 and no record of them being changed in the last 12 years. I figured I would change out the plug wires also and looking at those wire retainers wonder if they will survive after 21 years.

Maybe I am just a worry wart, but my thought was at the age of the clips they are most likely to be brittle and break.
If you're thinking about replacing all the plastic parts in your Corvette, you need a new car! (My '84 retainers are fine, at 240,000 miles!)

Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I'll be replacing the plugs and wires within a year or so, and I am not worried about the retainers breaking. Nearly everything I have read says to pry on the release carefully and it will open. Just be sure you are prying the right part. And even if I do break one or two, I'll just zip tie the wire(s) to the retainer. But also, my car is pretty but it's certainly not a show car and I don't care all that much about underhood appearances. Although I will say, that picture posted by Bow Tie Guy sets a new standard... all in good fun

Last edited by DGXR; 06-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
If you're thinking about replacing all the plastic parts in your Corvette, you need a new car! (My '84 retainers are fine, at 240,000 miles!)

That is good to hear. I was thinking between heat and age they would be brittle and break.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
no need for retainers, retainers are for scheisters

you just find the nearest anicular component and carefully drape the plug wire over and or around it

We need a plug wire wall of shame, with tinted tailights

https://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_...Y8_600x450.jpg
Sorry, not my circus.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by DGXR
I'll be replacing the plugs and wires within a year or so, and I am not worried about the retainers breaking. Nearly everything I have read says to pry on the release carefully and it will open. Just be sure you are prying the right part. And even if I do break one or two, I'll just zip tie the wire(s) to the retainer. But also, my car is pretty but it's certainly not a show car and I don't care all that much about underhood appearances. Although I will say, that picture posted by Bow Tie Guy sets a new standard... all in good fun
My car is no show winner but I do take pride in her because she is very unmolested. Twice I have guys with C4's peer under my hood to see what things use to look like. I do local car shows and cuisine-in's for fun. I had an old Ford pickup, 55 slant cab but it didn't run right... till I put in a small block 400.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

You can find most of them if you start your search with a good parts catalog so you can locate the correct GM part numbers. I was able to find all but the one below the power steering pump. E-bay can be a friend but you need to know the part numbers and what they look like. Taking pictures of what you have on your 96 is a good place to start.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Mid America Motor Works shows a kit with 2 4 wire, 2 3 wire and 2 2 wire retainers but I see 2 4 wire retainers on the passenger side alone with another 4 wire retainer for the driver's side bank coming off the Omni... they don't even list the size of the wire retainers.

Now if memory serves me correct the original plug wires are 7 MM correct? Then I need 7 mm retainer clips. I don't believe I have seen 8 mm clips available. SO back to my original question...

I believe this kit will NOT be sufficient to replace the complete plug wire retainer set. I was at my GM dealer and one of the part numbers for the retainers are no longer made. Maybe I am just a worry wirt, but my thought was at the age of the clips they are most likely to be brittle and break.

Am I worrying too much?
Hi

Standard ignition leads will be fine, for the lead clips have a look at corvette central they have reproduction lead clips.

PS always a good idea to post the year of your vette

Old 06-20-2017, 04:37 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Standard ignition leads will be fine, for the lead clips have a look at corvette central they have reproduction lead clips.

PS always a good idea to post the year of your vette

ALSO, for wire retaining clips, dorman has replacements (part number 40295 - each package contains two, 4-wire clips -- four packages should do a standard L98 car) - note for the 2-wire clips, I cut a 4-wire clip in half with a small xacto saw. for the 2-wire clips, you only need the wire holder part and discard the locking clip. shop around for the best price - available locally and on-line. you can get real creative and solve the problem without spending a bunch of cash. probably do your whole car for what GM will charge you for a single part (if available).

in fact, check out google images for what's out there...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dorm...=1496147165754

making two parts from a dorman one part...

Last edited by Joe C; 06-20-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
no need for retainers, retainers are for scheisters

you just find the nearest anicular component and carefully drape the plug wire over and or around it

We need a plug wire wall of shame, with tinted tailights

https://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_...Y8_600x450.jpg
Also looks like crap
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 PM
icanjuggle@yahoo.com
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 C4 LT1 spark plug wire retainers

These are the original wire sets with retainers completely stock.

Originally Posted by Joe C

ALSO, for wire retaining clips, dorman has replacements (part number 40295 - each package contains two, 4-wire clips -- four packages should do a standard L98 car) - note for the 2-wire clips, I cut a 4-wire clip in half with a small xacto saw. for the 2-wire clips, you only need the wire holder part and discard the locking clip. shop around for the best price - available locally and on-line. you can get real creative and solve the problem without spending a bunch of cash. probably do your whole car for what GM will charge you for a single part (if available).

in fact, check out google images for what's out there...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dorm...=1496147165754

making two parts from a dorman one part...

Attached Images           
Old 02-20-2018, 10:51 PM
icanjuggle@yahoo.com
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The forward most 4 wire retainer on the drivers side fits on the metal bracket at a right angle to bend all 4 wires under the water pump and to the opti. All other clips fit straight onto the metal brackets. Look at the difference between how that one clip sits in relation to the wires as opposed to the other 4 wire clips. One 4 wire clip on the passenger side is used for just two wires.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Chrly919
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When I got my 93 coupe almost 3 years ago, one of the 1st things I noticed amiss was that the plug wires were kinda held in place with nylon wire ties. I bought two kits, one I think from Ecklers and one from Mammotor. Neither one faintly looked like it was for an LT1. After much searching and looking at reference pictures I finally got most of the pieces I needed.
I'm posting this because there have been two posts about this in the past several months, but I couldn't offer any help because the GM parts bags were misplaced.
I purchased- 4 ea part #12132272 4 hole clips $5.91 ea.
4 ea part #12132229 2 hole clips $1.58 ea.
I'm still needing the clip under the PS reservoir. I found pics and part # online at http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...roduct=6155126.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:18 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I don't believe I have seen 8 mm clips available. SO back to my original question...
Am I worrying too much?
If the 8mm plug wires are fresh, they will give a little in the 7mm holders.
Not to worry I used OEM clips on 8mm MSD wires. Found em on ebay for reasonable $$ and bought a few extras just in case...

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 02-26-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wires and retainersm, lack of info

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires and retainersm, lack of info