Pictorial Wanted: Areas to Cover prior to Washing an L98 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:48 AM
koritz123
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictorial Wanted: Areas to Cover prior to Washing an L98 Engine

1991 Coupe

I'm trying to find a pictorial of areas to cover before washing an L98 engine. I've read that C5 knock sensors can be damaged by washing.

But what about C4's with the L98 engine.

Where are the sensors, electronics and other areas that should be covered?

Should the engine be turned on after washing. I read one post where the valve cover paint bubbled up after washing and starting the engine.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

You don't want to Niagra Falls your engine with water. Just spray it down with Simple Green, let sit for a while and flush with water. Try to not directly flood the distributor or alternator...barring the L98 has a distributor, not familiar with that engine.

I use a leaf blower after to dry my engine and get rid of any standing water. And then I will start it and let it run for a little bit to help evaporate remaining water.

Never heard of paint bubbling up after starting...sounds like a poor paint job to me!
The following users liked this post:
koritz123 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If the engine is extremely greasy, I would put a good degreaser on after the engine reaches operating temp. Let it stand 10 to 15 minutes and then restart. If you are pressure washing, don't direct into the alternator holes as mentioned but you can get fairly close without drenching and flooding the distributor. Use good judgment. This process usually gets me close enough to do more detailed hand work later. It really makes it easier to quickly find if you have a valve cover leak. BTW: I have heard not to direct spray directly at knock sensor but I can't see that being an issue personally.

Good luck,

WEK.
koritz123 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Disconnect the battery and then use tin foil to "form fit" any of your electrical. You can mold around distributor alternator and other connections you are concerned about.

As above, use simple green all over then gently rinse off. Fire her up and let heat do the trick.
koritz123 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:36 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Never washed a computer operated engine. What about the starter, is that a no go zone or can something be laid on top?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Never washed a computer operated engine. What about the starter, is that a no go zone or can something be laid on top?
Not a good idea to try can get water in things, but they are made to get wet and handle it to a point, submerged is another thing. Part of cars or any consumer products being sold is proving before hand they can be used reliably. That is what engineers are for and standards are made for them to meet.

Starters are on the bottom of the engine and if it's raining they are getting wet when driving and driving through water puddles they are even submerged sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictorial Wanted: Areas to Cover prior to Washing an L98 Engine

Quick Reply: Pictorial Wanted: Areas to Cover prior to Washing an L98 Engine