Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 LT4, replacing clutch neutral starter switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 AM
bronctwo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 LT4, replacing clutch neutral starter switch?

Does anyone know how to replace the clutch neutral starter switch on a 96 LT4? I was told by one person that it is located somewhere in the fire wall, then I was told it is located on the shifter assembly?? Whichever one it is; does anyone know where in the fire wall it is, or how do you get to the switch if it's on the shifter assembly. Thanks in advance. Chuck.

Last edited by bronctwo; 06-23-2017 at 06:50 AM. Reason: missplelling
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by bronctwo
Does anyone know how to replace the clutch neutral starter switch on a 96 LT4? I was told by one person that it is located somewhere in the fire wall, then I was told it is located on the shifter assembly?? Whichever one it is; does anyone know where in the fire wall it is, or how do you get to the switch if it's on the shifter assembly. Thanks in advance. Chuck.
The switch is connected to the clutch pedal linkage under the driver side hush panel and is a difficult reach. I'll post an image here in maybe 30 or so minutes. The '96 FSM is formatted a little differently than previous years. I've done only one. Do you know that it's bad? Have you jumped/bypassed it to confirm it is your issue?

Do you have the FSM? I guessed not since you asked regarding location.

This image is from the '96 FSM and I believe I have much better snapshots.

Name:  '96 clutch switch.png
Views: 1361
Size:  32.5 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-23-2017 at 07:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gdl2165 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM
bronctwo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The switch is connected to the clutch pedal linkage under the driver side hush panel and is a difficult reach. I'll post an image here in maybe 30 or so minutes. The '96 FSM is formatted a little differently than previous years. I've done only one. Do you know that it's bad? Have you jumped/bypassed it to confirm it is your issue?

Do you have the FSM? I guessed not since you asked regarding location.

This image is from the '96 FSM and I believe I have much better snapshots.

Attachment 48106028
Thank you for the info. You're right I only have the FSM for the 81. Im guessing it would be easier to get to if I remove the driver's seat, I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Yes I'll try the bypass first but Im thinking its bad, had it happen in the past with some older vehicles. (back in the day when you could get to everything easily.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:39 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

am trying to decide if switch is a PM issue. switch is only about $ 50, but a third world sourced switch may not be as good as my 90,000 mile oem. BUT, if switch fails, you are sol. i have sunk about $3k into into major pm in last 2 months, at some point i have got to stop changing NOT broken parts.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

When looking for that switch, note if you have cruise control on the car there are 2 switches on the clutch. The one about half way up the clutch pedal is the cruise one, the one way up near the pivot is the clutch depressed switch which typically either goes bad or out of adjustment.

Mine is bad and could not find a replacement for my 86 so it's jumpered for now so it's not needed. If I can ever find a replacement I'll look into changing it, but for now it's livable.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT4, replacing clutch neutral starter switch?

Quick Reply: 96 LT4, replacing clutch neutral starter switch?