Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

stripped a runner bolt...now what

Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stripped a runner bolt...now what

Trying to get the runner off to remove the fuel rail. unfortunately, I think I stripped a b ilt off in the lower runner. Any ideas how to get that ***** out?

The following users liked this post:
Drifter36 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 PM
Went
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

When I was working at Epson and had a rounded hex head bolt on a machine I would try this. I'd take the correct size allen wrench and grind the end flat on the grinder wheel. This would give the allen wrench end a bit of a "tooth" that would grip the bottom of the hex in the bolt head. That got many lower torqued bolts loose for me on the production floor. Maybe you could try that with the torx wrench. Grind the end flat and don't clean up the edges. Tap it in and pray. Works sometimes. I've also tapped a flat blade screw driver down into the head and turned the screwdriver while tapping on the end of the handle. You'd be surprised what ends up working when you're desperate.

When I've been desperate I've drilled bolt heads off. Leaves a short "stud" you can turn out once everything is out of the way. I don't know what the experienced guys with this engine would say though. These have worked for me. Maybe put hex cap screws in too when replacing the runners. I hate the torx bolts.

Went

Last edited by Went; 06-24-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

I think before I'd drill off the head etc., I'd spray it down with Kroil or comparable then try getting an impact torx and an extension and first try driving it into the head of the bolt. Use an impact wrench and lean into it and see if you can break it loose.

It's possible a little heat might help it along also.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Went
When I was working at Epson and had a rounded hex head bolt on a machine I would try this. I'd take the correct size allen wrench and grind the end flat on the grinder wheel. This would give the allen wrench end a bit of a "tooth" that would grip the bottom of the hex in the bolt head. That got many lower torqued bolts loose for me on the production floor. Maybe you could try that with the torx wrench. Grind the end flat and don't clean up the edges. Tap it in and pray. Works sometimes. I've also tapped a flat blade screw driver down into the head and turned the screwdriver while tapping on the end of the handle. You'd be surprised what ends up working when you're desperate.

When I've been desperate I've drilled bolt heads off. Leaves a short "stud" you can turn out once everything is out of the way. I don't know what the experienced guys with this engine would say though. These have worked for me. Maybe put hex cap screws in too when replacing the runners. I hate the torx bolts.

Went
isn't the intake aluminum? not sure I want to start whacking that bolt with a hammer. scared it could strip the threads or damage the intake
Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hcbph
I think before I'd drill off the head etc., I'd spray it down with Kroil or comparable then try getting an impact torx and an extension and first try driving it into the head of the bolt. Use an impact wrench and lean into it and see if you can break it loose.

It's possible a little heat might help it along also.

Good luck.
I might have to go this route. probably won't use heat since all the fuel line are disconnected and it's so close to that spot
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Went
Pro

I wasn't saying whack it with a hammer. Just some light tapping while you turn will help break loose a bolt head many times where turning the tool alone fails. You have to be mindful of the materials you are working with.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:01 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I think I had to get a drill extension and drill the head off of one of mine. It only took a few minutes.

Bit wasn't long enough to reach, so, the extension.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Lord
from the pic, the torx recess doesn't look that bad. one thing with torx bolts, you need to go in straight and squarely with the torx socket. that maximizes the torque and minimizes stress on the (torx) recess. any angle amplifies any potential problems. if I recall, the valve cover and injector harness/trim, interfere with a straight shot into the bottom runner bolts. try getting better access the bottom bolts, in other words, remove the injector harness and the RH valve cover. (just my 2-cents)

Last edited by Joe C; 06-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:08 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I would take it to a good Vette tech and let him take care of it. Some of these guys work magic with problems like yours. If it doesn't run put it on a flat bed. Most auto insurance covers this up to 100-200$
Old 06-24-2017, 12:11 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Use the next sized torx head and tap it into the bolt. It should be snug and should come out nicely. You won't hurt the intake or runners doing this.

Last edited by 383vett; 06-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:12 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Joe C
from the pic, the torx recess doesn't look that bad. one thing with torx bolts, you need to go in straight and squarely with the torx socket. that maximizes the torque and minimizes stress on the (torx) recess. any angle amplifies any potential problems. if I recall, the valve cover and injector harness/trim, interfere with a straight shot into the bottom runner bolts. try getting better access the bottom bolts, in other words, remove the injector harness and the RH valve cover. (just my 2-cents)

Got to have that torq's straight on.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Try not to use a torx driver in combination with a universal which allows it to misalign easily.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 AM
Went
Pro

Nathan Lord, So I am curious. Did you get the bolt out?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to your local car parts store. Tell the tech what size bolt you're working on. Tell him you want a corresponding "easy out." This is a threading tool that you will thread into a hole you drill into the center of the stripped bolt head. This tool has reverse thread cutters made of case hardened steel. Once the hole is drilled, carefully insert this tool into the top of the bolt, and turn it counterclockwise. The "easy out" will dig into the drilled hole, so keep carefully turning the tool until it bottoms out. Now apply a suitable wrench to the top of the "easy out" and keep turning counterclockwise until the stripped bolt is removed.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Went
Nathan Lord, So I am curious. Did you get the bolt out?
oh I got it. going to fastenal later to get all these damn bolts replaced with hex heads. torx sucks. replaced the FPR while I had the fuel rail out, and stripped 2 more! got em out too though.
The following users liked this post:
VikingTrad3r (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Went
Pro

Very cool.

Went
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2HIP4U
Go to your local car parts store. Tell the tech what size bolt you're working on. Tell him you want a corresponding "easy out." This is a threading tool that you will thread into a hole you drill into the center of the stripped bolt head. This tool has reverse thread cutters made of case hardened steel. Once the hole is drilled, carefully insert this tool into the top of the bolt, and turn it counterclockwise. The "easy out" will dig into the drilled hole, so keep carefully turning the tool until it bottoms out. Now apply a suitable wrench to the top of the "easy out" and keep turning counterclockwise until the stripped bolt is removed.

Rule #1- NEVER use an E-Zee out.

Rule #2- Obey all rules.

Get notified of new replies

To stripped a runner bolt...now what

Old 06-27-2017, 03:59 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Local2Ed
Rule #1- NEVER use an E-Zee out.

Rule #2- Obey all rules.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Lord
Trying to get the runner off to remove the fuel rail. unfortunately, I think I stripped a b ilt off in the lower runner. Any ideas how to get that ***** out?

Puller for stripped bolts... I wouldn't use anything other...then replace it with a new one think same thing that in post #15

Last edited by Christi@n; 06-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Last Scene in video is what i'm speaking about

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stripped a runner bolt...now what